Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
Those Nitro Concepts S300 chairs how do they stack up in the grand scheme of trash gaming chairs? I've had one for years but never used it long term, not more than a few hours at a time, don't use it at all now really no space. But I recall it was never totally comfy, felt like it doesn't support the back well?

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place to ask or even a question that can be answered, but what is the best chair you can get? I spend hours in my chair during the day when I'm wfh. I also want to do some gaming after work but I tend to not want to spend anymore time in the chair! It's an IKEA office chair, which isn't bad but not super comfy by any means.

Associate
Not sure if this is the right place to ask or even a question that can be answered, but what is the best chair you can get? I spend hours in my chair during the day when I'm wfh. I also want to do some gaming after work but I tend to not want to spend anymore time in the chair! It's an IKEA office chair, which isn't bad but not super comfy by any means.
Generally the most rated would be top end offerrings from Herman Miller, Steelseries or Humanscale. Probably the most famous chair in the world is Aeron, but it's not to everyone taste - it prioritise cooling over support. If you have problems with your back, then Embody is the one to get.

Soldato
Look for an operator's or 24/7 chair, and not a Chinese one! Ideally, from a manufacturer that makes three sizes, so you can get the right size.

Associate
Finally joined this group.

Got my first Aeron C (I'm a large and heavy fella), with all the adjustments available (but only standard fitting on the armrests, as the leather option I've been told impedes breathability).

Very pleased with it. The default height mine came in was perfect for me, my legs are the right length that I'm not impacted by the plastic rim of the seat that may irritate others.

Also arrived much sooner than expected. Although there was stock already at hand so that might have had a hand in it. Was expecting 2 weeks, but arrived in 1 from ordering.

Associate
I bought an Aeron a couple of months ago, having previously had a Steelcase Please I was a little concerned it would not offer the same comfort.

However, the Aeron promotes a better posture for me and my back is thanking me already. I went for a refurb and it arrived in perfect condition.

Soldato
I have to say...I bought an AK racing chair (a cloth one) maybe 10 years ago and it has no wear on it at all and even the foam still has its shape. It's used most days too. I think I paid about £130 for it at the time, seems like a bargain now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got my Leap v2 re-upholstered for £100. Boring black office cloth begone! Also got replacement arm rest pads off eBay as the originals had gone a bit yucky. Would look like a new chair if it weren’t for the chrome bits but tbh I don’t care, it was much cheaper to restore it than pay for a new HM or Steelcase model in the new working from home age.

After the upholstery the next job was making the black plastic look less faded and scratched. Bought some Solution Finish used for restoring black plastic car trim and while it doesn’t look brand new, it looks miles better than before - quite pleased with myself tbh. The final thing I’d like to do is sort out the chrome finish base but I don’t think that will be as easy a fix and I might be better off just getting a replacement part.

Associate
I'd recommend refurb Steelcase office chairs. I owned the Steelcase Leap (v1) for many years, and currently sit in the Steelcase Gesture. Both are excellent with tons of adjustability and long-term your back will thank you.

Permabanned
Had a bit of luck yesterday, my mate spotted his neighbour chucking out a near new condition 2023 (90% sure comparing it) Corsair T1 Race, just because it had a dead piston, I swiftly turned up and collected it, swapped the piston for 1 I'd got for £12 off ebay on my current chair and kept the foot it came with due to not liking the tall rollerskate wheels the Corsair had that can grab and topple the chair forward on some carpets, and boom I have a £300 chair for free!
Bit sweaty but the back support is amazing, especially the adjustability, even though they claim this is for 6ft2 max, I'm 6ft8 and the shoulders seem to be in the right place as shorter people when sat in it, as does the headrest...

The one issue I have with chairs is that they always have too much of a gangster lean or the bolsters are designed for a child, as with the bum section getting me a dead arse/legs. This is pretty much spot on, the bigger one they do will definitely be my next chair, now that I've sat in this one.

It had a mild bit of a crack on the pleather under the thigh right at the front, but who cares for free, I'll take that over the bum section peeling off which usually happens, it does get a bit hot, but again for free, and now having a chair that properly supports my back and no pain nor dead arse, I cannot recommend this enough!

I hate those unsupportive mesh chairs that feel like a hammock, and so does my back.

Gotta love saving something from being chucked away due to ignorance! Love fixing stuff and restoring it to it's former glory, the best bit was that I'd only replaced my existing chair's piston months back this year, so it just cost me some fuel and time driving in traffic. Win win!

Last edited:
Associate
I used a gaming chair for nine years. Yesterday I decided to swap it for a used Steelcase Leap v2. It is great. In excellent condition. I purchased it in Bradford from a dealer I found on FB Marketplace.

Associate
Anyone tried the Steelcase Amia? Supposed to be better seat but slightly worse back than the Leap, someone selling one nearby and wondering whether it's worth trying

Sgarrista
Commissario
Anyone tried the Steelcase Amia? Supposed to be better seat but slightly worse back than the Leap, someone selling one nearby and wondering whether it's worth trying

Absolutely,

My steelcase gesture has been the best investment I have made for my PC setup ever.

4 years in, some of the fabric started showing some premature signs of wear, contacted the retailer who arranged for a loan chair of the same model to be sent out, had my chair collected and all the upholstery and foams replaced and then all shipped and collected back with no quibbles or fuss at all.

Aside from that the setup and adjustability is absolutely spot on, you can tell they were built to last and all of the mechanical side is absolutely perfect still.

Soldato
There is a robust quality to a Herman Miller that just isn't matched by other brands. I would never advocate buying a gaming chair over any decently put together office chair but if you want top draw you get a Herman.

Always keep an eye out for them 2nd hand as you can often bag a deal.

I have a Mirra 2 and a Sayl at home.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a second hand Humanscale Freedom Med Back Chair. I like it, best office style chair I've ever tried.
Over the years I've worked at a number of clients which had mesh chairs. I'd be very doubtful about buying one myself.

Associate
I have a second hand Humanscale Freedom Med Back Chair. I like it, best office style chair I've ever tried.
Over the years I've worked at a number of clients which had mesh chairs. I'd be very doubtful about buying one myself.
I've never sat in a Humanscale, but I remember they were the super-cool office chairs in the CTU headquarters of TV series 24 :D

Associate
I bought a second hand Herman Miller and wouldn’t swap it for anything (other than a new one)

Soldato
Looking for a new chair with a budget of around £250. Currently looking at second hand Steelcase Series 1 or 2, can anyone recommend anything similar or better at the price point to consider? Definitely want mesh back but don't mind cushion or mesh base.

Associate
The Steelcase series 1/2 are solid chairs at that sort of price range for mesh back. Other options in that used price range would be the Herman Miller Verus Triflex and Humanscale Different World. The new option would be the Flexispot Flex Chair BS8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom