Poll: Official 2023 Mexican Grand Prix Thread - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City - Round 20

Rate the Mexican race out of ten.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can we have a "General F1 talk" thread then? We constantly have a different thread each week where we are constantly told to stay on the topic of the current race, and obviously things are going to overlap into more general F1 discussion. We have the General motorsport off topic thread, but it's for all forms of motorsport that gets mixed in with it. Would it not benefit the forums to have an F1 thread to keep the race threads more on topic/shorter, and a general F1 one. Or... just do away with these repetitive race threads and just have one single uber F1 2023 thread. At the end of the day we just want somewhere to discuss F1 freely.

Last edited:
Commissario
Can we have a "General F1 talk" thread then?

Soldato

But Feek, I once went in there and they were talking about.... brace yourself... NASCAR. I'll wash my mouth out.

Soldato
Poor English wasn't it? Soz. I meant basically do you think Max will get bored with winning easily over and over. Nothing more.
I doubt it. maybe a bit frustrated he gets very little 'air-time' as the focus is generally on the more competitive battles lower down the order.... until he inevitably crosses the winning line of course.
Anyone else think this is possibly a long term situation, given he has a contract with RB until 2028? :eek:

Soldato
I doubt it. maybe a bit frustrated he gets very little 'air-time' as the focus is generally on the more competitive battles lower down the order.... until he inevitably crosses the winning line of course.
Anyone else think this is possibly a long term situation, given he has a contract with RB until 2028? :eek:

It's hard to say. Teams look better now because Redbull are looking at the 2024 car. My prediction is sadly that Redbull make even further developments and improve it for 2024 just enough, that we see pretty much a repeat of this season, but perhaps more competitive from the midway point. Then in the final year of these regs 2025, I think that could be a good year, as typically in the final year of a reg period (like in 2021) we had a thriller between RB and Merc.

I think going forward, these reg periods actually damage the sport and should be reviewed. Perhaps they should make more incremental changes rather than the waterfall approach. Nobody really wants to see teams come to the first race of the season and have a massive gap between 1st and last. It is a design sport for sure, but to be locked in for years with a bad decision you made seems not in the best interest for anyone.

If Redbull arrive at first race of 2026 with a dominant car, that's going to lose a huge amount of fans as people won't want to watch another 4 years of domination from the same team. That would be the same with anyone. Happened with Schumi, Vettel and Hamilton. FIA deliberately slowed the Merc down towards the end of their reign. They would have to take steps to do the same to Redbull.

Associate
Then in the final year of these regs 2025, I think that could be a good year, as typically in the final year of a reg period (like in 2021) we had a thriller between RB and Merc.
I don't think it will be as bad as the Merc era mainly because the biggest shortfall then was the engine. Merc go their engine right from the start whereas Ferrari and Renault struggled. Since a large part of the cars design is based around the engine, it basically gimped every team until RB and Honda got together.

Caporegime
I don't think it will be as bad as the Merc era mainly because the biggest shortfall then was the engine. Merc go their engine right from the start whereas Ferrari and Renault struggled. Since a large part of the cars design is based around the engine, it basically gimped every team until RB and Honda got together.

Yeh but at least Merc had relatively competitive teammates for a bit (with Rosberg). Also, Ferrari did trouble the Mercs for a bit during that era.

If the Red Bull dominance continues I at least hope they can get a teammate for Max that will push him/give him some competition. At the moment,it's arguably even more dull than the Merc/Hamilton era (or at least will be if nothing changes from next year).

Associate
Yeh but at least Merc had relatively competitive teammates for a bit (with Rosberg). Also, Ferrari did trouble the Mercs for a bit during that era.

If the Red Bull dominance continues I at least hope they can get a teammate for Max that will push him/give him some competition. At the moment,it's arguably even more dull than the Merc/Hamilton era (or at least will be if nothing changes from next year).
Ferrari did have a moment, but they probably cheated by bleeding oil into the engine so in terms of raw development, I think RB were still second best team (if you consider the garbage Renault engine).

RB definitely need to drop Perez - I'd love to see what another top tier driver could do in that car.

Soldato
It's hard to say. Teams look better now because Redbull are looking at the 2024 car. My prediction is sadly that Redbull make even further developments and improve it for 2024 just enough, that we see pretty much a repeat of this season, but perhaps more competitive from the midway point. Then in the final year of these regs 2025, I think that could be a good year, as typically in the final year of a reg period (like in 2021) we had a thriller between RB and Merc.

I think going forward, these reg periods actually damage the sport and should be reviewed. Perhaps they should make more incremental changes rather than the waterfall approach. Nobody really wants to see teams come to the first race of the season and have a massive gap between 1st and last. It is a design sport for sure, but to be locked in for years with a bad decision you made seems not in the best interest for anyone.

If Redbull arrive at first race of 2026 with a dominant car, that's going to lose a huge amount of fans as people won't want to watch another 4 years of domination from the same team. That would be the same with anyone. Happened with Schumi, Vettel and Hamilton. FIA deliberately slowed the Merc down towards the end of their reign. They would have to take steps to do the same to Redbull.
I honestly can’t see the other teams closing the gap now they can’t just throw loads of money at it. Hence I don’t think we’ll see a repeat of 2021 in 2025. Which is a shame. :( Unless the FIA/F1/whoever decide to make mid reg changes to nerf the RB. They’ve already mentioned this isn’t something they are interested in doing though.

img

img

Associate
I will be happy if the teams are closer together next year as it is now even if the red bull is still ahead. At least if perez is still there we will hopefully see 3 teams on the podium

Caporegime
I will be happy if the teams are closer together next year as it is now even if the red bull is still ahead. At least if perez is still there we will hopefully see 3 teams on the podium

I suppose that is one advantage of Perez being rubbish. 2nd and 3rd are often different.

It's still bad that the winner is a foregone conclusion though.

I mean, the cars are also so damn reliable as well this season. I don't think Max has had an engine go on him/a race ending technical issue all season. A lot of the other top teams seem relatively bullet proof too now. At least the start of 2022 was entertaining as the RBs and Ferraris took it in turns to go pop every race.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's still bad that the winner is a foregone conclusion though.

I don't think there is anything foregone here. Look back at Vettel's era: 2010 was one of closest seasons in history; and in 2012 Vettel didn't win a race until the 4th race and it wasn't until the 14th race that he showed any kind of dominance. Renault were spectacular in 2005 and 2006, but slumped to a distant third in '07. Ferrari's run from 2000 to 2004 was exceptional, but 2003 was won by only a couple of points. Look at the Merc run from 2014 to 2020, and whilst they dominated in the first three years, they had to fight for in '17 and '18.

The history of F1 is dotted by teams dominating for a couple of seasons but finding themselves on the back foot after that.

In Ferrari, McLaren, and Mercedes - maybe even Aston too - Red Bull have a fine set of competitors who will be fighting for every millisecond. Red Bull dominance for the next few seasons is anything but assured.

Caporegime
I don't think there is anything foregone here. Look back at Vettel's era: 2010 was one of closest seasons in history; and in 2012 Vettel didn't win a race until the 4th race and it wasn't until the 14th race that he showed any kind of dominance. Renault were spectacular in 2005 and 2006, but slumped to a distant third in '07. Ferrari's run from 2000 to 2004 was exceptional, but 2003 was won by only a couple of points. Look at the Merc run from 2014 to 2020, and whilst they dominated in the first three years, they had to fight for in '17 and '18.

The history of F1 is dotted by teams dominating for a couple of seasons but finding themselves on the back foot after that.

In Ferrari, McLaren, and Mercedes - maybe even Aston too - Red Bull have a fine set of competitors who will be fighting for every millisecond. Red Bull dominance for the next few seasons is anything but assured.

I meant that I'm relation to this season more than anything else.

This season (especially after the first 5 or so races), I feel like Max could pretty much start anywhere on the grid and likely win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom