Poll: Official 2023 Mexican Grand Prix Thread - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City - Round 20

Rate the Mexican race out of ten.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It does seem crazy, but it seems to be coming from people I'd expect to be pretty reliable.
Even crazier because they invested so much into facilities. They also had a competitive car at the start so the staff are likely decent. I'm just hoping that the drop in pace is down to them moving on to next years car.

Maybe Papa Stroll doesn't want to be involved anymore - hopefully takes his F2 driver of a son with him.

Soldato
Some people think there is a rumour that Alonso will replace Perez next year. That would be wild, but might inevitably lead to Red Bull becoming rubbish!

Still think it will be Ric that replaces Perez next year.

I hope it's Danny Ric but surely they would rather try to bring Seb back before approaching Alonso.

Associate
Perhaps he will wait to see how the field looks in 2026 when the new regs come in and assess whether to move teams to a new challenge, or quit to do something else.
He'll never leave Red Bull, he has it too good there with most of the team focused around him. Where else is there for him to go anyway? If he went up against Hamilton at Mercedes he'd likely be beaten if he got equal treatment, and I don't get the impression Toto would want him anyway even if Hamilton retired. He might have already burnt bridges with Ferrari when he publicly accused them of cheating with the engine. No other team has championship potential except maybe Mclaren with an outside chance. I could see him leaving the sport in his early 30s if he no longer has a dominant car and has to earn wins again.

Soldato
Alonso to RB is pure fiction, anyone reporting on that as a fact or even just as a possibility isn't worth listening to
I dont imagine Alonso has the patience for any of the RB upper management. As much as he enjoyed various shenanigans back in the day (of which I'm no expert) I think he's outgrown a lot of the circus-type aspects of F1 nowadays.

Soldato
Based on what? I genuinely don't think anyone could beat Max at the moment - he's basically a robot that eats, sleeps and breathes racing.
The Mercedes has been (or certainly is again now) built to suit Lewis. As the McLaren is for Lando and the Red Bull for Max.

I doubt any of them could jump into each others car and out perform the current driver.

Caporegime
The Mercedes has been (or certainly is again now) built to suit Lewis.

Lewis has complained at length about the characteristics of the Mercedes that resulted from the zero pod design. In fact, far from being built for Lewis, they seem to have extensively ignored his desires.

Even with Max, Max has often stated that the RB doesn't match his preferences. Newey seems to engineer the car to be as fast as he can and trust Max's exceptional skills will enable him to extract the best from it.

I think it's more that the truly top tier drivers are able to extract the best from pretty much any car.

Associate
I doubt any of them could jump into each others car and out perform the current driver.
I think that's the case for a large portion of the grid, but I feel that the top drivers are top drivers because they can adapt, and in a relatively short amount of time.

Danny Ric is a good example where he did well at every team except McLaren, which had very different characteristics.
Lewis has complained at length about the characteristics of the Mercedes that resulted from the zero pod design. In fact, far from being built for Lewis, they seem to have extensively ignored his desires.

Even with Max, Max has often stated that the RB doesn't match his preferences. Newey seems to engineer the car to be as fast as he can and trust Max's exceptional skills will enable him to extract the best from it.

I think it's more that the truly top tier drivers are able to extract the best from pretty much any car.
Agreed. It's hard enough building a fast car, full-stop, let alone shaping it around a driving style. I wouldn't bet against Max, Lewis or Alonso when it comes to driving different cars.

Associate
Based on what? I genuinely don't think anyone could beat Max at the moment - he's basically a robot that eats, sleeps and breathes racing.
Hamilton is an 8 time champ that has won 3 championships in the 2nd fastest car and beat Alonso in his rookie year. Max is a 2 time champ that has only won in a dominant car with the team focused around him and a teammate in awful form. Max was already beaten by Ricciardo overall when they were teammates at Red Bull, and Sainz did quite well at Torro Rosso. Hamilton thrives under high pressure situations whereas with Max we've seen cracks start to show in 2021.

Soldato
I know there are very few drivers on the grid who could properly challenge Max but it would genuinely be fascinating to see someone like Hamilton, Leclerc, Norris or Alonso as his teammate.

Can you imagine Hamilton at RB? That would be absolutely hilarious. The drama.

Last edited:
Associate
Hamilton is an 8 time champ that has won 3 championships in the 2nd fastest car and beat Alonso in his rookie year. Max is a 2 time champ that has only won in a dominant car with the team focused around him and a teammate in awful form. Max was already beaten by Ricciardo overall when they were teammates at Red Bull, and Sainz did quite well at Torro Rosso. Hamilton thrives under high pressure situations whereas with Max we've seen cracks start to show in 2021.
That's some interesting math. 2nd fastest car 3 times but Merc literally won every WCC in the first hybrid era :cry:

This is too far off topic anyway and they don't make enough tinfoil to fully explore your thought process.

Associate
That's some interesting math. 2nd fastest car 3 times but Merc literally won every WCC in the first hybrid era :cry:

This is too far off topic anyway and they don't make enough tinfoil to fully explore your thought process.
2008, 2018, 2021, I think that makes 3? 2018 was somewhat debatable but the general consensus seems to be that Ferrari had the faster car.

Soldato
Can you imagine Hamilton at RB? That would be absolutely hilarious. The drama.
It would be good but Horner has already said he isn’t interested in having to ‘alpha males’ to try and manage. The biggest problem RB seem to have is that the Perez level drivers of the world don’t seem to be capable of handling the RB’s handling characteristics… I hope they put Riciardo in Perez’s seat. He did pretty well last time and kept Max pretty honest. (He seemed to want to be the main man at another team rather than stay as a number 2 though..)

Soldato
Going very off-topic, but again I think this is what we get with the massive partisan fanbase we have at the moment. a lot of RB fans are not content just with calling Max the "greatest ever", but there seems to be a forthright attempt at re-writing the history books to somehow make out that Hamilton doesn't deserve his titles. As a Hamilton fan it feels very much like when Trump came into power he set about trying to destroy Obama's record on literally everything. If Obama did it, he'd reverse. Yes, that's a leap, but like I say, as a Hamilton fan that's what it feels like.

Don
Let's keep this thread about the Mexican Grand Prix please :) If you want to discuss previous cars / championships, take that conversation to the relevant place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom