Poll: Official 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Thread - Corniche Circuit, Jeddah - Round 2

Rate the Jeddah race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I really hope Perez doesn't stay relatively competent this season.

Him being a pile of steaming poo most of last season at least made the podium more interesting. If he's just going to finish P2 every race, but still miles behind Max but miles ahead of P3 I'm going to be very disappointed.

Soldato
RBR have clearly made a massive step, which is impressive given that other teams should have had more room to improve.

Ferrari clear second. Bearman did a great job and made me dislike Stroll and Sargent event more.

Alonso still carrying AM on his own.

RIC not doing much. I think Lawson needs a shot if things don’t improve.

Lewis has checked out. Wouldn’t be surprised if Charles runs circles around him after the move.
The problem seems to be 2 fold. Red Bull made an absolute beast which meant everyone spent their time trying to play catch up, they were then able to concentrate on this years car. I'm pretty sure Horner himself said the only upgrades they planned were the livery changes last year... (Take that with a large grain of salt obviously.) They also managed to do this with reduced aero time and with a penalty to it!

Associate
The problem seems to be 2 fold. Red Bull made an absolute beast which meant everyone spent their time trying to play catch up, they were then able to concentrate on this years car. I'm pretty sure Horner himself said the only upgrades they planned were the livery changes last year... (Take that with a large grain of salt obviously.) They also managed to do this with reduced aero time and with a penalty to it!
They probably monitored the first few races and then realised they were well ahead of the others. You’d also start the season with some upgrades in the pipeline already, which would give you enough to stay ahead.

Probably also helps that they seem to understand their car concept, whereas a team like Merc are just throwing options at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Associate
I really hope Perez doesn't stay relatively competent this season.

Him being a pile of steaming poo most of last season at least made the podium more interesting. If he's just going to finish P2 every race, but still miles behind Max but miles ahead of P3 I'm going to be very disappointed.
And then you know they’ll keep him because that’ll be more than enough to secure the WCC.

Soldato
they were then able to concentrate on this years car.
There’s a lot to be said for Hamilton’s suggestion that teams can’t start work on next years car until a certain date. How they’d police that I do not know, but it makes sense. Otherwise a team with a massive advantage like RB can just build and build and build on it.

Soldato
There’s a lot to be said for Hamilton’s suggestion that teams can’t start work on next years car until a certain date. How they’d police that I do not know, but it makes sense. Otherwise a team with a massive advantage like RB can just build and build and build on it.
But we still only have the same budget.

Soldato
Nothing stops newey from drawing up the next front wing for next years car now on his iPad while doing a number 2 in the toilet

Soldato
Positives: Bearman putting in a shift an a half and getting 7th in a care he had 2 hours in before the race start.

Negatives: The Stewards need drug testing. Zero penalty for Norris jumping that start and all the penalties for KMag.

Caporegime
Positives: Bearman putting in a shift an a half and getting 7th in a care he had 2 hours in before the race start.

Negatives: The Stewards need drug testing. Zero penalty for Norris jumping that start and all the penalties for KMag.

Re Norris

Apparently they can only give a jump start penalty if the transponder reports it. It didn't report it so even though everyone can quite clearly see with their eyes that he moved before the lights went out (which I don't believe they are allowed to do), they can't penalise him.

Don
Re Norris

Apparently they can only give a jump start penalty if the transponder reports it. It didn't report it so even though everyone can quite clearly see with their eyes that he moved before the lights went out (which I don't believe they are allowed to do), they can't penalise him.
Pinnacle of Motorsport where they can't actually write rules that are enforceable. :D

Associate
F1 is in a bit of a mess at the moment, scandal surrounding RB, the boredom factor and Ben Sulayem controversy, not to mention the way penalties are or are not handed out.

Caporegime
I don’t know, the real passion and jeopardy seems to have gone from f1, the cars are blindingly fast and the drivers super skilled, but they all seem to have to accept the position they are in.

Its just something to pop on in the background. Or on a Sunday night if nothing else to do.

Saw the winning gap.
No point in perez pushing max even if he could. Would just damage the car pointlessly

Man of Honour
OP
Glad I recorded this and watched it later; utterly dull again, only bright spot was Bearman - what a debut for him - surely proven he should be in an F1 seat over some of the dross that's on the grid currently. That said easier to have a decent race in the 2nd fastest car I suppose!

Caporegime
Glad I recorded this and watched it later; utterly dull again, only bright spot was Bearman - what a debut for him - surely proven he should be in an F1 seat over some of the dross that's on the grid currently. That said easier to have a decent race in the 2nd fastest car I suppose!

I think he did well considering he is 18 and only had one practice session and has never driven an F1 car competitively before. However, I'm going to hold judgement on whether he'd actually be really good and give the top drivers on the grid a run for their money.

Lewis started F1 at 22 and matched a highly rated F1 champion (Alonso) in the same car. Max started at 17 and beat his teammate Sainz in his first year (though I believe Sainz was also a rookie). By the time Max was 19/20 he was showing just how good he is.

In all honesty, I thought Lawson's little cameo (all be it longer so perhaps an unfair comparison) was more impressive.

So whilst Bearman no doubt did well driving a clean race and finishing in the points, he was still a long way off Leclerc and quite clearly had the second fastest car on the grid yesterday.

I think if he got a seat, he would very quickly have to start doing better than he did yesterday or he'll end up like de Vries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom