**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
Hi, quick question. I'm thinking of buying this MoBo, as well as a Hiper Type-R PSU. I'd like a bit of knowledge about the power connectors on the board.

I can see a regular 24-pin MoBo power conection next to the RAM slots, I understand what that's for.

The second one is between the CPU and the I/O ports, which the manual (downloaded it) calls "ATX12V" - What's that for, and does the Hiper Type-R have a cord for it?

Finally, there's the EZ Plug (according to the manual), looks like a molex connector. I read that's for SLI, right? Again, Type-R have one?

I have looked through various reviews, and on Hiper's site, though no-where seemed to tell me all of cables it actually comes with, so I figured the owner's thread would be a great place to start.

Thanks a load. ;)

Associate
Digital-Prozac said:
Quick n00b question about this board...

The IDE cables supplied. Are they old skool flat ones or rounded? I know it's a stupid question, please feel free to chastise me as you see fit :rolleyes:

Prozac,

I can confirm that the cables supplied with this board are flat. I have replaced mine also with rounded ones. Makes things look tidier and its only logical that the airflow in the case is better.

:)

Associate
Rameez said:
Erm guys do the fans still fail on these mobos? i mean are the newer models diffrent?

Rameez,

If you are refferring to the chipset fan, there isn't one. It has been replaced by a heat-pipe which travels across the board and is attatched to a radiator type device covering the MOSFETS. I have heard mentioned that this runs quite hot depending on what case you are running in.
I'm looking at removing this when I eventually get round to liquid cooling. According to dazza121 its quite easy to do.

Associate
Wildman1255 said:
Rameez,

If you are refferring to the chipset fan, there isn't one. It has been replaced by a heat-pipe which travels across the board and is attatched to a radiator type device covering the MOSFETS. I have heard mentioned that this runs quite hot depending on what case you are running in.
I'm looking at removing this when I eventually get round to liquid cooling. According to dazza121 its quite easy to do.

No i meant the Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard :p

Associate
FosterK said:
Hi, quick question. I'm thinking of buying this MoBo, as well as a Hiper Type-R PSU. I'd like a bit of knowledge about the power connectors on the board.

I can see a regular 24-pin MoBo power conection next to the RAM slots, I understand what that's for.

The second one is between the CPU and the I/O ports, which the manual (downloaded it) calls "ATX12V" - What's that for, and does the Hiper Type-R have a cord for it?

Finally, there's the EZ Plug (according to the manual), looks like a molex connector. I read that's for SLI, right? Again, Type-R have one?

I have looked through various reviews, and on Hiper's site, though no-where seemed to tell me all of cables it actually comes with, so I figured the owner's thread would be a great place to start.

Thanks a load. ;)

FosterK,

I have just recently bought one of these and it seemed really easy to assemble and install in my case. If you want to watch a full video which show you the exact content of the PSU package go to google and type 3dgameman.com. Then go to video reviews. I couldn't make a decision between this and an Enermax noisetaker 600W. This video helped me make the correct choice. I hope this is of use to you.

Ps. If you buy one let me know what you think :)

Associate
Wildman1255,

Thanks for the help, that review showed it having all the correct cords I need, and being modular, there'l be no messy extra wires, and it saves me £30 as compared to the Enermax noisetaker (which I was considering, but this Hiper one looks a load better!).

I'll be buying one some time shortly after Christmas, getting the A8N SLI Premium as a gift from my parents, the Antec P180 and the Hiper Type-R with the cash I get from the hordes of indistinct relatives. :p

Thanks again!

Associate
I have an A8n premium and would like to connect more SATA devices. I have already used up four SATA ports by connecting HDD's to them. But there are another 4 SATA raid sockets on the mobo. I don't want to bother with raid, so can I use these like normal (non-raid) sockets when attaching devices? Do I have to do anything with the bios to make this possible?

TIA

Associate
New beta Bios 1008.003 on the US ASUS web site.

I can now choose a few more vcore settings with my X2 4400+. Still could be improved on vcore stability.

I am running with a 1.38 setting in bios that reports 1.408v in Asus probe 2, so far looking good now at 1:1 2.61GHZ (10* 260) 2.7v 3,3,3,6,1T @ 48C full load with prime95 *2

Simon

Associate
Hi all,

I'm running a premium with a 'Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6L300S0 SATA 16MB' and a 'Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB SATA-II'.

Now, my maxtor is a pile of poop :mad: and i'm sending it back to OcUK to be looked at but I am trying to load Windows XP SP2 onto my WD and it wont detect it when trying to install :confused: .

I have put two partitions onto WD but it is still not picking it up :rolleyes: .

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just a case of buying a little 80gb SATA HDD to run Windows from?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
You need to install the drivers for your hard drive the 300 gb one. At windows setup press f6 when it asks. Then insert the floppy that you should have got with your motherbaord and it will list the drivers you need to install. :)

Associate
I have just RMA'ed my mobo (A8N Premium) and cpu (X2 4400+) as I thought the mobo was faulty,as there was no post after booting I reseated cpu gfx etc.I have tested the GFX Card (XFX 6600GT) and the ram (Geil Value 2x1GB) and they are both working.Couldnt test the other components.

I have a Aerocool Turbine Power 550W psu. When i connected the psu i used the 24pin power connector and the molex.But didnt connect the ATX12V connection as i thought this was part of the 24pin connector as it can be used as a 20 and 24 pin.The 4 pin part can be unclipped but cant reach the ATX12V. I have just got my psu box out and there is a P8 to P4 cable is this the correct cable for the ATX12V. Is this why i was getting no post.I am now thinking it has been a waste of time for the RMA, and i could have my new system up and running?
What is the ATX12V connector for? Does it have to be connected?The green LED was working on the board when i was testing aswell.

Think i have made a silly mistake.

Thanks,

Justin

Associate
Make sure you plug in the 4 pin connector to the mobo

That's had me sitting there thinking wth a few times ;)

Something to get used too with the newer 939 motherboards

Back
Top Bottom