AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Samsung 200GB SpinPoint
Floppy drive
Pioneer DVD RW
XP-90 HSF
Hiper PSU (580W)
BFG 7800GTX
2gb corsair xms3200c2pt

I've connected all the wires as far as I'm connected but the pc will just not turn on. I may have put the wires in the bottom right corner in wrong (power, reset, etc) so might need some advice here. Basically when I turn the psu on the green light on the mobo lights up but when I press the on button on case nothing happens. When I turn off the PSU I hear a quiet whine which I presume is something powering down. No fans or anything come on just that little green light.

Anyone got any advice or websites I can look at?

Cheers

Associate
Chaps,

Had the A8N in partners pc for a while now and despite a long period of intermittent crashes to desktop and BSOD during EQII it's now seems to be happy again. Oddly enough overclocking, more volts etc over default values has for once worked in my favour ;)

My problem now is the chipset fan (noisy little thing isn't it!) is packing up, intermittent at the moment but will grind to a halt for good one day. Now I don't really want to RMA, with downtime, hassel and the board is good other than the fan. From what I've read ASUS will supply a new fan to some folk. My question is, is it physically the same size?

The reason I'm asking is I have the ATI x800 HIS card in there and the cooling case on the card is within a gnats hair of the fan, couple of rizla papers gap, really close.

If it was not I would have taken it off for another cooler, going to call in later for some low profile fan advice that actually fit and are very low so as to now push / foul on the x800.

Anybody got any ideas in the short term, as I'd like to change to a quieter option really?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
ColinD said:
Chaps,

Had the A8N in partners pc for a while now and despite a long period of intermittent crashes to desktop and BSOD during EQII it's now seems to be happy again. Oddly enough overclocking, more volts etc over default values has for once worked in my favour ;)

My problem now is the chipset fan (noisy little thing isn't it!) is packing up, intermittent at the moment but will grind to a halt for good one day. Now I don't really want to RMA, with downtime, hassel and the board is good other than the fan. From what I've read ASUS will supply a new fan to some folk. My question is, is it physically the same size?

The reason I'm asking is I have the ATI x800 HIS card in there and the cooling case on the card is within a gnats hair of the fan, couple of rizla papers gap, really close.

If it was not I would have taken it off for another cooler, going to call in later for some low profile fan advice that actually fit and are very low so as to now push / foul on the x800.

Anybody got any ideas in the short term, as I'd like to change to a quieter option really?

Cheers.
wrong thread mate this is for premium boards

Associate
How is that latest BIOS update with X2 overclocking? I would like stick in a X2 4400+ and overclock to 2.4ghz (4800+). I wouldn't really know how to do it as I have never overclocked but it is the plan :D

Associate
Hello all,

Does anyone no how to activate the hardware firewall on the nforce4 chipset on this board. I read a review in a magazine some time ago now and it showed screenshots of a 'forceware network access manager' I have attempted to acces this site, only to be met with errors saying that the website is down or something??? Is this firewall mangaged through a website? Its just I have this facility on my motherboard and wouldn't mind putting it to some use. Anybody any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Associate
My 2 cents on locking up with F.E.A.R. and stuff...

I can run 3Dmark05 or BF2 all day long without trouble, but run the F.E.A.R. single-player demo for a minute and my GPU reaches new record high temps. Nothing seems to stress your graphics system like F.E.A.R., so don't be surprised if it's only F.E.A.R. that's giving you stability problems. And don't think that 3Dmark05 is a good GPU stress-tester anymore. In my experience, at least, F.E.A.R. is far better at heating up the GPU (and fast) and causing crashes/lockups.

I was locking up 2 - 3 minutes into it, but keeping the side panel of my case off has solved that problem for me. I'm assuming that means something was getting too hot, but I'm not sure what yet. 7800 GTX at 63 C, CPU at 45 C, "System" (what, exactly, does the nTune monitor mean by that? Ambient?) at 38 C (all peak temps, btw)... I think that's all fine. Are there other temps I could be checking with MBM5 or something?

And what's good for overclocking and voltage control from within Windows? That AiBooster thing? nTune seems pretty useless...

Thanks,

Covak

Soldato
OP
Has anyone tried removing the heatsink frame's backplate on the mobo? Seems to be glued on or something? I had to do a bit of a ghetto mod to get my Zalman to fit on, because I couldn't attach the backplate they supplied...

Cheers,

Suman

Associate
9zap said:
wrong thread mate this is for premium boards

Thanks 9zap, I half realised when I was in the car at the weekend that it wasn't a premium...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ;)

Associate
I've just got one of these and think it's a fantastic board, but can someone explain to me how the memory speed is determined when overclocking?

Currently running a 3700+ at 250x11, which gives me a CPU speed of 2.75GHz. The memory is set to 333 and the HTT multipler to 4, but still the memory is running at over 200MHz. Not sure how to work out the memory speed in relation to the CPU fsb. Can anyone explain it?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom