*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
DCS Sale is on again might buy the Mi-8.....

It's getting on a bit for visuals, though being fair it's likely to get an overhaul at some point, just as the Ka50 did. It's a genuine handful to fly, I'm a BIG fan.

Soldato
The Pimax Crystal has been a gamechanger for carrier landings for me... I now use the wires to stop instead of the back of the boat..

The only issue I have is getting my line. I always seem to come in directly behind the boat following the wake..
I know I'm not following the correct flightpath and just winging the landing at the moment but at least there's much less fire now

Soldato
Can't go wrong with the F-16 stick it is priced well and it uses a metal cams design, which is much better than warthog. You can swap them out to change the feeling and even upgrade the stick if you wanted a force sensing stick.
Just be aware that force sensing part is not that good on WW, there's a deadzone when the joystick transitions from displacement to force sensing: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/334271-mfssb-settings-for-best-realismusability/#comment-5377033
Also, WW's customer service reputation is not great , I'd make sure to buy with a credit card - for that extra peace of mind.
The Pimax Crystal has been a gamechanger for carrier landings for me... I now use the wires to stop instead of the back of the boat..

The only issue I have is getting my line. I always seem to come in directly behind the boat following the wake..
I know I'm not following the correct flightpath and just winging the landing at the moment but at least there's much less fire now
Yeah VR is incredible with DCS. I went back to flat screen in the end (I love my crisp maxed out 4k graphics), but look forward to coming back into VR at some point. Great to hear it is still progressing!

Last edited:
Associate

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, but im looking at starting DCS, and looking at head tracking vs VR. question is, ill have a fairly usable joystick with lots of buttons (saitek x52, non pro), but for anything that isnt base don the stick/throttle AND if using VR, how do you activate things? i have images i my head of blindly groping round a keyboard trying to find something. Have i got that quite badly wrong?
Also, if i upgrade to a newer better HOTAS thats say based on an F16, does that hurt my chances of trying to learn any other aircraft type?

Soldato
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, but im looking at starting DCS, and looking at head tracking vs VR. question is, ill have a fairly usable joystick with lots of buttons (saitek x52, non pro), but for anything that isnt base don the stick/throttle AND if using VR, how do you activate things? i have images i my head of blindly groping round a keyboard trying to find something. Have i got that quite badly wrong?
Also, if i upgrade to a newer better HOTAS thats say based on an F16, does that hurt my chances of trying to learn any other aircraft type?
Theres a few ways you can get around that. Voiceattack is fantastic(so you can just say your commands like Full flaps and gear down etc), and You can still use the mouse to click things in the cockpit (high fidelity models)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thoughts:
- for the things I can’t be bothered to map, I use a mouse. In DCS, it brings up a small crosshair that you hover over the switch and can manipulate with a mouse. It works really well.
- when I say mouse, I use two, ie a normal one on the right and a Logitech trackball on the left. Depending upon what I’m doing, influences the choice of mouse to use
- Meta hand tracking does work, but frankly it’s not as easy as using a mouse, though you might want to give it a go
- I have a number of controllers, eg joystick, throttle, control panels, and a grand total of just two of them reflect that of an actual aircraft. Over time, you build up muscle memory of what that control is located, just as per touch typing. It does help to assign the same type of control to the same button (eg flaps up is on a common switch for all of my aircraft that have flaps)
- As already suggested, voice attack is a good call. I use it for comms to AI, eg ATC
- it’s well worth learning how to create custom kneeboard. I write my own in PowerPoint, then Sniptool them into the appropriate format. I create custom KBs with diagrams for my control mappings and also more complex procedures that I can’t remember (eg some cold start flows)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a good idea to have your HOTAS as universal as possible, unless you're going to fly only one module. Throttle wise, my recommendation is either Winwing's Orion 2 F-15 or Virpil CM3. Thrustmaster Warthog is not so universal, VKB Stecs lacks the "Harrier lever", TM and WWW F-16 throttles lack the split throttle function which is cool with two engined jets. My choice was the CM3 (it is better suited to desktop use: no buttons on the far end of the base; the CM3 base is heavy it does not need suction cups that the Orion 2 needs).
Joystick wise, all mid-high tier joysticks are pretty universal.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a good idea to have your HOTAS as universal as possible, unless you're going to fly only one module. Throttle wise, my recommendation is either Winwing's Orion 2 F-15 or Virpil CM3. Thrustmaster Warthog is not so universal, VKB Stecs lacks the "Harrier lever", TM and WWW F-16 throttles lack the split throttle function which is cool with two engined jets. My choice was the CM3 (it is better suited to desktop use: no buttons on the far end of the base; the CM3 base is heavy it does not need suction cups that the Orion 2 needs).
Joystick wise, all mid-high tier joysticks are pretty universal.
Many thanks! Do you know if you can mix and match, eg (ok, not sure why but...) have a winwing joystick but a Virpil throttle (i guess maybe i like one makes joystick but someone elses throttle)? or do they connect to each other before one connects to pc, meaning they need to be same manufacturer? Sorry for the bone question, just new to the genre!

Soldato
Many thanks! Do you know if you can mix and match, eg (ok, not sure why but...) have a winwing joystick but a Virpil throttle (i guess maybe i like one makes joystick but someone elses throttle)? or do they connect to each other before one connects to pc, meaning they need to be same manufacturer? Sorry for the bone question, just new to the genre!
I use a winwing joystick with a virpil throttle, no problem.

Soldato
I've been looking at getting this all day, and wonder will it play ok on my 3080, 5800x3d and 32Gb at 1440p? I have a crap old joystick too. Some of the videos I've seen look amazing in VR but I don't have the money or the rig for that now...and it would be great to see what the Vulkan update brings to VR too.

Also I've been seeing lots of complaints about the MT update and freezing has it been that bad?

Associate
i thought the base game was free??.. although large 100gb plus..

defo worth a try.. and a 3080 should do ok in vr.. i used to run it on my 2070 super.. and with lower settings was definitely a good experience..

go for it!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You
I've been looking at getting this all day, and wonder will it play ok on my 3080, 5800x3d and 32Gb at 1440p? I have a crap old joystick too. Some of the videos I've seen look amazing in VR but I don't have the money or the rig for that now...and it would be great to see what the Vulkan update brings to VR too.

Also I've been seeing lots of complaints about the MT update and freezing has it been that bad?

If you download the base game, its free and includes 2 maps and a couple of aircraft. That'll give you the opportunity to check out if you're happy with the complexity.

Ref the issues you mention, it's worth being aware that the settings/config do need some effort to optimise game performance. My guess is that a good deal of the noise is from people who'd rather complain that investigate how to optimise their settings.

Your current rig will be more than fine to run DCS on a monitor. I was running in VR with a 1080 when I first started.

Ref a joystick, try the game first. If you want to get stuck in, it's worth coughing the spondoolies to get some decent gear.

Soldato
You

If you download the base game, its free and includes 2 maps and a couple of aircraft. That'll give you the opportunity to check out if you're happy with the complexity.

Ref the issues you mention, it's worth being aware that the settings/config do need some effort to optimise game performance. My guess is that a good deal of the noise is from people who'd rather complain that investigate how to optimise their settings.

Your current rig will be more than fine to run DCS on a monitor. I was running in VR with a 1080 when I first started.

Ref a joystick, try the game first. If you want to get stuck in, it's worth coughing the spondoolies to get some decent gear.

Great. Everything I was hoping for in a reply. I'll start downloading it tonight.

Soldato
Great. Everything I was hoping for in a reply. I'll start downloading it tonight.
All released modules in DCS have a 2 week trial, I'd recommend trialing/buying FC3 first as its controls are simple and easy to learn. FC3 has several jets - F-15, A-10, Su-27/33, Mig-29 and Su-25. The physics are as a good as the full fat modules, but the systems are simplified so FC3 is the best intro to DCS. There is also a nice dlc single player campaign for the F-15.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom