*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
According to today's newsletter, 2.9 is coming 'soon'.

What to expect in DCS 2.9 and later in no particular order:

• New Voice Chat features and immersive radio effects
  • Datalink improvements for F-16C, F/A-18C, A-10C II, AH-64D
  • New cinematic camera view
  • New 3D models like B-1B Lancer, B-52H, S-3B, S-3 Tanker, C-RAM, S-300PS
  • AI aircraft behaviour improvements
  • Troops transport on player-controlled vehicle
  • Nvidia DLSS support
  • And more….

Soldato
Aaaand... 2.9 is out! My favourite part is the new improved replay system - may finally get the F-14 now as it never ever worked in replays before.
Prop downwash effects and DLSS are also super nice.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve now got 2.9 installed up and running. Runs faster than before AND looks a good deal better.

Took the 2 seater Mirage F1BE for a potter around last night. Those guys really did a brill job.

For those in the process of installing 2.9, can I please suggest that you follow the advice of Flappie, eg:
- clean out your meta shaders and FXO folders. That will result in the next load for that map to be slow during the texture rebuilds, but it’ll be much better post that
- take a copy of your controls folder prior to the update. Looks like DCS has overridden some of my controls for a couple of my aircraft
- experiment a bit with the new visual settings. For me, DLAA worked best in VR. Others have had more success with DLSS. Note that you can have one or the other, NOT both
- if you have an issue, save your logs and upload a new error. Making noise on Facebook isn’t going to enable ED to resolve any issues

Soldato
Ok stupid question, Anyone else get a "disk write error" every time there is a major update on steam? its hacking me off I'm a casual player when it comes to DCS but every time it has a major update i have to uninstall and re-install from scratch nuking all my settings and we all know how long setting up your settings takes.

There is no issue with the disk, (ive scanned it and nothing else causes this error) its obviously some file being locked while its trying to patch.

Associate
2.9 seems like a nice step change for the graphics. Took me a while to get the settings dialed in again, but I'm quite happy again now.
One gripe is that in VR it seems that using the F10 map inflight significantly degrades performance when you come back to the cockpit. I'll be glad when ED fettle this sort of thing. Hotfix due soon I believe.

I'm still hoping that we see some decent advancements in AI soon.

sorry House, I'm standalone rather than on steam (although I sometimes buy through steam depending on exchange rates)

Soldato
Ok stupid question, Anyone else get a "disk write error" every time there is a major update on steam? its hacking me off I'm a casual player when it comes to DCS but every time it has a major update i have to uninstall and re-install from scratch nuking all my settings and we all know how long setting up your settings takes.

There is no issue with the disk, (ive scanned it and nothing else causes this error) its obviously some file being locked while its trying to patch.
Are you sure you have enough free space on that disc? I've had similar issues and the cause was as banal as that. In any case, your settings should persist even after a a reinstall. In fact it's a good time saving practice to back up Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config folder somewhere - that's where all the controls bindings live.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
For anyone still to install 2.9, can I please suggest that you watch this video:

I'm in no way affiliated with the AWG or the video, but it's short, and I agree with everything said in the video. Brill guide.

Soldato
The deleting of the folders has been since the beginning of time in DCS so much so new users are unaware, good to see it repeated now and then.

Soldato
I think now is a good time to come bakc to DCS. A lot of the 2.9 bugs are being ironed out, and DCS is in a pretty good state in terms of performace.
Caveat - AI stuff is not is the best state.
Thats the main reason I stopped playing, the AI really does need a major update and still waiting on the dynamic campaign..

Soldato
Just a heads up that both Virpil and Winwing now have UK stores. No more hassle with the customs etc. Virpil prices are similar to their EU store, but Winwing's prices are 20% higher than in the EU (eg, a HOTAS that costs 380EUR delivered there, costs 480EUR here).

Soldato
Just a heads up that both Virpil and Winwing now have UK stores. No more hassle with the customs etc. Virpil prices are similar to their EU store, but Winwing's prices are 20% higher than in the EU (eg, a HOTAS that costs 380EUR delivered there, costs 480EUR here).
Virpil also have 15% off at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom