*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
I've also joined the Virpil club :)

Finally upgraded from my CH Throttle... My reasons for choosing Virpil CM3 throttle vs Winwing and VKB Steks:

1) Desktop ergonomics are equal to VKB and better than Winwing's - there are no buttons at the front of the base which would be difficult to reach.
2) Zoom slider axis on the throttle handle - missing from both Winwing and VKB. An axis is quicker and more intuitive than encoder dials.
3). Flaps axis on the base - missing on VKB (Winwing has 2 of them, which is great). This is essential for the Harrier nozzles control.
4) Universal nature - I've setup the controls so that there is big overalp between all modules. E.g. F16manrange-like encoder on the Virpil throttle controls radar zoom on both the F16 and F18, same chaff/flare buttons, and so on.
5) Virpil reputation with regards to customer service. Winiwing has lots of negative stories on the DCS forums vs zero (?) such stories in Virpil's section.
6) Software - while less user friendly than Winwing's, it's far more powerful. I've limited throttle axis travel for better desktop use, added buffer to encoder dials (so as not to spin them over and over only to register 5 deg rotation on a DCS module dial), set dual thorttle sync to 2% to make them a tiny bit "sticky" to each other, sleep mode deactivates LEDs after 10min inactivity, toggle switches are on/on and not on/off to make mapping easier - everything is now working EXACTLY how I want.
7) The split throttle lever is super easy to use with one hand.

Minuses so far:
1) Hat switches are way inferior to CH in terms of feel and ergonomics. Russian style hats are less inutuitive, I really wish the lowest of the two hats on the handle was a Western castle shape one, my thumb often confuses the two. The click and travel on CH hats also feels way better.
2) Red toggle switches on the base work great, but look cheap. Will probably get a mod for them from Etsy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep us posted if you find replacement hats that you like.
From my brief googling, the throttle hats are next to impossible to get off. I've not even tried pulling them off myself as I've read several people failed and it made me a bit apprehensive - good customer service or not :). There are success stories about replacing hats on VPC joysticks (and there are many 3d prints available), but not the throttles. The throttle toggle switches are easier to mod with many offerings on Etsy and beyond.
Which throttle do you use?

Soldato
Anyone have the Winwing MFD with the screens? I am tempted to buy them... but I am worried its a gateway drug, and I will end up with massive sim pit.

Associate
Anyone have the Winwing MFD with the screens? I am tempted to buy them... but I am worried its a gateway drug, and I will end up with massive sim pit.
I bought a pair in March, really good and very easy to setup and use. Then I discovered VR and haven't used them since as I got the Total Controls apache mfd's to use in VR and have been using those.

The winwings are a great bit of kit especially with the screens, didn't realise that the spacers in between the buttons are buttons themself so you can configure them for pretty much anything and the software sets them up automatically for both the screen and buttons.

I was looking at selling them if you're anywhere near East London as I don't have anything to package them in.

Soldato
I bought a pair in March, really good and very easy to setup and use. Then I discovered VR and haven't used them since as I got the Total Controls apache mfd's to use in VR and have been using those.

The winwings are a great bit of kit especially with the screens, didn't realise that the spacers in between the buttons are buttons themself so you can configure them for pretty much anything and the software sets them up automatically for both the screen and buttons.

I was looking at selling them if you're anywhere near East London as I don't have anything to package them in.

I ordered some this morning do you have the MFD and the screens? I guess you don't use them as you have VR?

Associate
I ordered some this morning do you have the MFD and the screens? I guess you don't use them as you have VR?
I got them when I was flying the Harrier, shortly after switched to VR and got the total control panels. If you're not using VR or flying a plane in VR that sues those panels they are REALLY nice, you'll love em :)

Soldato
Unfortunately I couldn't get used to the winwing MFD/displays with my setup, I clamp my hotas on my desk when I play. I preferred looking at my PC monitor than looking at the winwing MFD, but it was very nice being able to press buttons on the MFD's.

It was nice bit kit with big screens and lots of buttons, if I had a sim rig with a bigger monitor or TV I think I would have have enjoyed them more.

Soldato
Ditto. Had a bit of a splerge recently got a winwing f16ex joystick a virpil cm3 throttle and a Tobi eye tracker 5. It's quite an upgrade over my thrust master t1600m and tcws. I actually have precision now.
Very nice how are finding the tracking with the tobi eye?

Soldato
My Trusty Warthog is starting to feel its age and looking to replace it. I like the look of the WinWing stuff has anyone here had and problems with it
I owned the Orion throttle briefly but didn't like the ergonomics, more of a personal choice. The build quality was nice it had a lot buttons. They now have a UK store, a lot of people like the HOTAS the internals are better than the warthog.

Associate
I owned the Orion throttle briefly but didn't like the ergonomics, more of a personal choice. The build quality was nice it had a lot buttons. They now have a UK store, a lot of people like the HOTAS the internals are better than the warthog.
Gotcha. I think I will give them a go. Only need a stick and not full hotas so worse case scenario I can just grab another one

Soldato
Gotcha. I think I will give them a go. Only need a stick and not full hotas so worse case scenario I can just grab another one
Can't go wrong with the F-16 stick it is priced well and it uses a metal cams design, which is much better than warthog. You can swap them out to change the feeling and even upgrade the stick if you wanted a force sensing stick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom