****Official Doom 4 Thread****

Soldato
Thanks Mal, thats pretty much made my mind up lol

Wouldn't take just one Post and say no to buying it lol... Doom is excellent and if you been around to play old school shooters you'll understand Doom is a real Gem and about time we had a game step back from all this mainstream junk we get know.

@Mal comparing Doom to Doom 3 is completely wrong LOL they nothing alike. Doom 3 was more approach to a Horror game a turning point for the Doom series. Doom has gone back to its roots of Over the Top Shooter!

Soldato
I dont often agree with Mal, but he has a point about the complete lack of atmosphere. Its all about the combat and once you get bored of that there is not much more to the game.

Thats not a reason not to buy it as like I said even I thought it was a good fun game and I was one of the most negative about it before release. I feel I definitely got my £20 worth out of it. It's just not a game I could play through again as the levels are devoid of any character or atmosphere and its just the same old enemies spawning in the same places. It does get tedious after a while.

There is certainly no lack of positive feedback about it, so have a look at the steam reviews etc. Its definitely a huge success.

I know its a bit early to think about the next game, but I hope they introduce some new enemies and weapons as It wont be anywhere near as fun if its the same weapons and enemies. kind of like Wolfenstein the old blood after playing the new order.

Soldato
Thanks Mal, thats pretty much made my mind up lol

it will appeal to most on this thread because they're old school arena shooters which is fine, but for others here watch out, because i like a shooter to engage my mind, to give me variation, but this is a very fast paced Arena shooter only.......... you're using pure Adrenalin and speed just to survive, you're basically blasting away like a loony and switching weapons as fast as possible; until they're all dead....it tires you out very quickly.

Soldato
Wouldn't take just one Post and say no to buying it lol... Doom is excellent and if you been around to play old school shooters you'll understand Doom is a real Gem and about time we had a game step back from all this mainstream junk we get know.

@Mal comparing Doom to Doom 3 is completely wrong LOL they nothing alike. Doom 3 was more approach to a Horror game a turning point for the Doom series. Doom has gone back to its roots of Over the Top Shooter!

the Mars base and returning too and fro to Hell are very similar, this new DOOM is only different because it's modern and updated, it even spawns the same, ok he's not a Marine but well what, it's still very similar.

you say ``DOOM has gone back to its roots``..yes unfortunately it has, it's a boring Arena shooter from years ago, but back then they didn't have the tech to build a better shooter..........but nowadays we expect far more.

if this a mistake ? well it's pretty popular for most gamers so i guess not.

Last edited:
Soldato
the Mars base and returning too and fro to Hell are very similar, this new DOOM is only different because it's modern and updated, it even spawns the same, ok he's not a Marine but well what, it's still very similar.

you say ``DOOM has gone back to its roots``..yes unfortunately it has, it's a boring Arena shooter from years ago, but back then they didn't have the tech to build a better shooter..........but nowadays we expect far more.

if this a mistake ? well it's pretty popular for most gamers so i guess not.

Am very happy its gone back to old school style tbh, sure I can understand what you saying.
But for me games these days have become so easy and simple and hold your hand far too much. Least with Doom it only saves at check points, you die tuff you back at start.
Doesn't even tell you fully what way to go, little indication at the top. Nowadays you have highlight right in your face! or press this button we highlight the ground for you LOL

Last edited:
Soldato
Doom Graphics are excellent at times.

5CE0D2AD43ECAA6C0FDBDC0E92C29C977C065191

66D865FEFDF56612798F5AA8B4BCA0272422B30A

A7F2453634E7AB1914B9D933684D3260DAB1F80C

Soldato
Anyone had success with virtual super res on amd cards with this gsme yet? I am trying to upscale from 1080p to 1440p and as soon as I accept the res I end up with a low res and half the screen missing off the right hand side :(

Last edited:
Associate
Just completed and thoroughly enjoyed it, even on an old system:

Q9550 @3.8GHz, 8GB DDR, Nvidia 660 at stock.

Story spoilers:
Did anyone else feel that it ended a bit abruptly? I like how it's left open-ended, I just thought there's be a bit 'more' of an ending. Fingers crossed a follow up is announced soon... I hate cliffhangers! :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just completed and thoroughly enjoyed it, even on an old system:

Q9550 @3.8GHz, 8GB DDR, Nvidia 660 at stock.

Story spoilers:
Did anyone else feel that it ended a bit abruptly? I like how it's left open-ended, I just thought there's be a bit 'more' of an ending. Fingers crossed a follow up is announced soon... I hate cliffhangers! :D

Whaat? I could not run the Alpha or Beta at all. I got inverted colours and a CTD.

Q9550 @3.4, 4GB, 2x HD 6970. Maybe it's the RAM, but I'm hesitent to purchase in case it doesn't work still.

Man of Honour
Whaat? I could not run the Alpha or Beta at all. I got inverted colours and a CTD.

Q9550 @3.4, 4GB, 2x HD 6970. Maybe it's the RAM, but I'm hesitent to purchase in case it doesn't work still.

Inverted colours was probably down to the 6970 CF - don't think CF was very well supported in the game on the 6000 series (not sure if more recent drivers/patches have improved that).

Associate
Very much enjoying this, classic shooter that does what it does well and doesn't try and add too much to the mechanics. Just shoot, kill, collect and move on.

I'm missing so many secrets though! Clearly not looking hard enough, went through a level that had 5 or 6 in and didn't find a single one!

Back
Top Bottom