**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Please post those screenshots some more so you can burn them into my retina 8)

Not sure what else to say, I watched the trailer and was just underwhelmed :S Some of the animations looked really weird. For a huge reveal and the time frame since Fallout 3, they must have a killer story because there isn't any hint at anything than a rinse and repeat of the Fallout 3 game play.

You're not sure what to say? It's really simple. List some games that you've been playing that look as good as, or better than the screenshots I've posted.

Soldato
Well you are in love with the screenshots posted in which I wasn't blown away with. Fingers crossed they add some new mechanics to the game play and really give some meat to the story because after how damn good the story telling is in Witcher 3, it's going to be hard to top.

MORE SCREENIES PLZ

Soldato
Okay, so tell us what games you've been playing that look as good as, or better. It's real simple. You seem to be avoiding giving any examples.

Soldato
Okay, so tell us what games you've been playing that look as good as, or better. It's real simple. You seem to be avoiding giving any examples.

I actually agree with other posters that graphics are not everything. I'm playing Witcher 3 at the moment and absolutely love it! It gets even better with a sweetfx profile and before that was GTA V.

Just not buying into the Fallout 4 hype after that completely underwhelming trailer, sorry :S

Soldato
Okay, so 2 games. GTA5 looks good, but it certainly doesn't look better. The Witcher 3 doesn't look bad by any means, but it isn't what I'd call better looking.

So 2 games that aren't actually better looking. Any more?

Soldato
Okay, so 2 games. GTA5 looks good, but it certainly doesn't look better. The Witcher 3 doesn't look bad by any means, but it isn't what I'd call better looking.

So 2 games that aren't actually better looking. Any more?

Please don't pigeon hole me into someone that needs AAA GFX or I won't touch a game :) I very much appreciate game play over graphics. All I can do is tell you my honest gut opinion from watching that trailer for the 1st time and nothing about it got me super hyped for Fallout 4.

I loved 3, played through it twice and I liked NV but not as much as 3.

Soldato
Okay, but I'm asking you a simple question that you're still avoiding answering. I'm not pigeon holing you.

Well we have already established that you think these are the best graphics you have possibly ever seen and for me I don't see that, so how can I answer your question ? :S

I think it looks ok with dodgy animations and weird rendering but it's nothing but a teaser trailer, so who knows how it will actually play.

Soldato
Well we have already established that you think these are the best graphics you have possibly ever seen and for me I don't see that, so how can I answer your question ? :S

I think it looks ok with dodgy animations and weird rendering but it's nothing but a teaser trailer, so who knows how it will actually play.

Can you show me where I've said they're the best graphics I've possibly ever seen?

Can you still not answer my simple question? It really is really simple.

Soldato
Can you show me where I've said they're the best graphics I've possibly ever seen?

Can you still not answer my simple question? It really is really simple.

In the other thread you spam posted the screenshots like "LOOK AT THESE" !!!!1111111

Not sure what you want me to answer? It's almost 7 years since Fallout 3 and with this being kept under wraps for so long, I was expecting a bigger impact from the trailer (for me personally) clearly you see something way different O_O

Soldato
In the other thread you spam posted the screenshots like "LOOK AT THESE" !!!!1111111

No I didn't. I posted them in response to people saying it looked bad, or looked like Fallout 3.

Not sure what you want me to answer? It's almost 7 years since Fallout 3 and with this being kept under wraps for so long, I was expecting a bigger impact from the trailer (for me personally) clearly you see something way different O_O

How are you not sure? List some games that look at least as good as, or better. I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm asking you to list them.

I've lost count of how many times I've asked this. Why are you avoiding answering? It's a dead simple question, and the response is just as simple.

Soldato
Different graphic styles but Arma 3, Witcher 3, Witcher 2, Far Cry 4, GTA V, Tomb Raider, thinking about a little more I would probably throw Metro last light on there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm fully with spoffle on this one. All that's really happening is spoffle is acting like a mirror, showing people who haven't really considered what they're saying the ridiculousness of their statements. Repeatedly posting the images is part of the point being made - that repeating statements of "it looks awful" when there is nothing really backing it up when challenged, is a joke.

Soldato
Finally, it certainly took long enough. I'd agree with Farcry 4 and ARMA 3 and The Witcher 3 (I'm surprised you never said Crysis 3). The others, not so much.

However, my point isn't about how good it looks, but that to call it "really average" just makes no sense.

An average looking game would be one that looks, in terms of visual acuity, like most of the other games, ie the median level of visual fidelity.

You've listed a handful of games, ergo it doesn't at all look average. The majority of PC games are not up to that standard of visuals at present. When Fallout 3 game out, its visuals were average, in that they were around the median level of visual fidelity.

Soldato
I'm fully with spoffle on this one. All that's really happening is spoffle is acting like a mirror, showing people who haven't really considered what they're saying the ridiculousness of their statements. Repeatedly posting the images is part of the point being made - that repeating statements of "it looks awful" when there is nothing really backing it up when challenged, is a joke.

It's really tiresome, most of my friends are saying it, too. When I challenged one of them they couldn't really explain why. I got comments about how things looked "absolutely awful" which amounted to "the hook on the crane thing isn't 100% smooth", "the rust on the robot isn't realistic", "the paint on the bus isn't defined enough, it looks terrible" and "the glass on the bus isn't realistic, glass doesn't look like that". To be fair to the others, one admitted that they're being cynical and don't think it'll look like that when it releases, and the other hadn't seen any of the higher res and bit rate video screenshots.

To put it in to perspective, I'm a graphic artist/designer, and I've got a decent amount of years' experience in 3D modelling as well as architecture too.

I also have extensive experience of people not seeing with their eyes, but seeing with their brain switched to ignorant mode, and it's extremely frustrating to deal with.

I sometimes have to deal with people giving me ideas of what they want, that just won't work at all, and they get upset with that and have a moan or whinge about it. It's stopped for the most part now because I've consistently shown them that some of their ideas might sound great in their head, but don't work on a practical level. To which they've given me more and more responsibility and direction in how things should look and be designed.

Thanks for your support, and everyone else who's actually seeing things for how they are, it's quite refreshing. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
First thing i thought when i saw the trailer was WTF someone done a Fallout 4 mod for Skyrim :). But i am still gonna buy it :D

To be honest it makes sense if it is the exact same engine surely... it's what they did with Oblivion and Fallout 3 isn't it?

The timescales aren't even that far off either really. Oblivion - Fallout 3 was 2.5 years, going by predicted release for Fallout 4 it will be 4 years between Skyrim and Fallout 4. I'd say 18 months discrepancy due to the development on new consoles is reasonable.

:Edit: Another note ref: looks of the game being "underwhelming" - well... it's meant to be drab anyway isn't it! The whole point of Fallout is to be dirty, unfinished and generally depressing. If things were super shiny and polished it just wouldn't look right. Haters gonna hate. After viewing the uncompressed video I'm quite excited.

Soldato
I looked it up Zefan, on average Bethsoft's franchise games are coming out 4-5 years after the last one.

New Vegas came out in October 2010, and the complete edition with all the expansions came out in Feb 2012.

Soldato
Game looks quite nice, and if they use Gamebryo yet again... at least it'll be easy to mod :D I mean, it's an awful engine that really has nothing else going for it.

The one hype killer however is the price. O_o

I looked it up Zefan, on average Bethsoft's franchise games are coming out 4-5 years after the last one.

New Vegas came out in October 2010, and the complete edition with all the expansions came out in Feb 2012.

Not sure if New Vegas counts, it wasn't made by them and it isn't one of the main entries either, which means 4 could potentially be 8 years of work, even if it started slow :eek:

Should be preeeeeetty good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom