Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
Just prefer training by myself these days, no one to annoy me :D but mostly I'm at home for convenience.

Also love training topless in the summer and blasting some loud metal music.

Yes, yes and yes :)

Love my home gym. It’s more than paid for itself too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It’s been great having a full WiFi connection in my gym since sky added an extender to our setup. It’s always been intermittent in the past. Great for monitoring anyone coming to the front door, downloading clips from cctv in the gym etc.

Reactions: LiE
Soldato
Hi all,

Can anyone out there recommend an adjustable pull up bar / rack?

It's for one of my kids to use for gymnastics related things, so needs to be adjustable from say 130cm upwards. Not overly concerned about size etc, just need it to be stable of course :)

Of course there is many things on google, but most of the reviews are hit and miss.

Something similar to this looks good, if anyone knows the brand and can recommend it? https://www.ramassfitness.com/products/ramass-fitness-pull-up-bar

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought this exact one a few months back to replace my Pull Up Mate and absolutely love it!

The only downside is that it can be awkward to adjust the height without a helping hand.

Thanks - yes I found its a bit tricky to adjust, however height was a key feature for us.

Given we put it so high for him to use with rings etc, we will need to invest in some clamps. Though its stable for pullups at any height, not really designed for near horizontal swinging :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Construction has (finally !) started on my home gym / office outbuilding.

Building will be 50% gym / 50% office for the next 6 - 12 months until the house renovation is completed, at which point it will convert to a full gym space.

I'm thinking of laying down proper gym flooring upfront while I have a blank canvas just to keep things simple.

What are people using for their home gym flooring? and do you have any thoughts on how well it will stand up to a section of it being rolled over by an office chair 400 times a day for the next 12 months?

Appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Personally I put down carpet tiles in my gym. You can then add mats to specific areas for impact protection. Carpet tiles are very tough and can be easily replaced. They feel warmer in winter, matting gets bloody cold and you don't have to mop it, just a quick vac.

PXL-20230501-140526853.jpg

PXL-20230630-172642706.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got any sources for well priced small weight plates? I'm after some 1.25/2.5/5kg plates for my adjustable dumbells/Curl Bar. I've currently got a load of the cheap painted metal ones people were knocking out during lockdown, but want some rubber coated ones.

I was looking at Origins which seem well priced, but i'd like some as narrow as possible ideally. The origins ones are faily thick

Soldato
Personally I put down carpet tiles in my gym. You can then add mats to specific areas for impact protection. Carpet tiles are very tough and can be easily replaced. They feel warmer in winter, matting gets bloody cold and you don't have to mop it, just a quick vac.

PXL-20230501-140526853.jpg

PXL-20230630-172642706.jpg
Carpet gets dirtier easier and a simple vacume won't suffice.

Occasionally you are going to need to wet wash your carpets. It will become very filthy in no time

Soldato
Rubber is naturally going to be the thicker option unfortunately.

Yeah, just seems crazy thicker.

I have a set of the Mirafit Cast Iron painted ones which are 22mm for 5kg, vs 39mm for the rubber ones at Origin. Mirafit do rubber ones at 27mm for 5kg, but i was hoping for cheaper than £60 for 2x 5kg plates

I wanted the shorter 10mm sleeve lengths and with the collars it doesn't leave as much space as i'd hoped.
Maybe i do just need to stick with metal.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Carpet gets dirtier easier and a simple vacume won't suffice.

Occasionally you are going to need to wet wash your carpets. It will become very filthy in no time

Filthy from what though? I don't bring dirt into the gym. It's extremely short pile. I've had this down for 4 years, still looks like new.

Plenty of commercial gyms have carpet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Filthy from what though? I don't bring dirt into the gym. It's extremely short pile. I've had this down for 4 years, still looks like new.

Plenty of commercial gyms have carpet.
Yea and there filthy lol. Lots of bacteria etc on carpets.

If it's just you I supposed it won't get filthy too often but all I am saying is that carpet is harder to clean in general.

Whilst hard floor etc a quick mop and you could eat your dinner on the floor lol (don't do that btw!)

Reactions: LiE

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea and there filthy lol. Lots of bacteria etc on carpets.

If it's just you I supposed it won't get filthy too often but all I am saying is that carpet is harder to clean in general.

Whilst hard floor etc a quick mop and you could eat your dinner on the floor lol (don't do that btw!)

My wife certainly prefers carpet in the gym, before when I had full rubber floor she would never come in :p

In winter the rubber would be ungodly cold, the carpet actually feels nice when I'm doing any work on the floor. I can go bare foot and often do, with rubber my feet would go numb in winter!

Back
Top Bottom