Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Never thought of using furniture legs before, very clever!

I'm currently wrapping bands around my hallway bannister for hammy curls, considering purchasing Monkey Feet for something different though.

Tbh I'd probably already have bought a pair if they were £40 each instead of £80.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, hmm... the monkey feet seem good... also debating this thing I've seen on the rainforest... So you could use it to do leg curls from a standing position or leg extensions if you put your bench (or something else you can sit on) behind it...
61LYaXjuFTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What's putting me off is:
1. No reviews at all so would be buying completely blind (and it's not made by a known company)
2. Can't decide for sure if it would actually fit on my rack (a Mirafit M210 half rack)

Soldato
Thanks, hmm... the monkey feet seem good... also debating this thing I've seen on the rainforest... So you could use it to do leg curls from a standing position or leg extensions if you put your bench (or something else you can sit on) behind it...
61LYaXjuFTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What's putting me off is:
1. No reviews at all so would be buying completely blind (and it's not made by a known company)
2. Can't decide for sure if it would actually fit on my rack (a Mirafit M210 half rack)

That does look decent, i've got the Iron shin but it's similar to the Monkey foot and isn't cheap and is a little basic. Best part is it has 2 clamps for both tib raises and hamstring curls

Soldato
Hmm, the Iron Shin actually seems really good as well.. my only question with it being a single leg thing - how quick is it to swap it from one foot to the other? I am very much in the "Dad with young child" phase so I gotta absolutely blast through workouts and be really economical about how I structure things so equipment that takes a long time to faff around with is not what I am looking for right now. But the Shin could be perfect to tide me over until we hopefully move to a house with a double garage and I can fit in a leg extension/curl machine

Soldato
Hmm, the Iron Shin actually seems really good as well.. my only question with it being a single leg thing - how quick is it to swap it from one foot to the other? I am very much in the "Dad with young child" phase so I gotta absolutely blast through workouts and be really economical about how I structure things so equipment that takes a long time to faff around with is not what I am looking for right now. But the Shin could be perfect to tide me over until we hopefully move to a house with a double garage and I can fit in a leg extension/curl machine

It’s actually not too bad. I’d say 30 seconds maybe and that’s me being slow.

I do have a 25% discount code if you drop me a PM. Just make sure to use my name!

I gave some feedback to say a week to make it a double unit would be awesome and he was looking into it.

Soldato
Yeah was a little bit of a wait but it doesn't seem like a high volume item really, got a nice letter from Sean and a handwritten note on the back of a pretty cool sticker which has gone into the gym mirror.

Should hopefully have time to give it a proper go on Monday but first impressions are it seems like a decent well made product - I'm sure it'll be good to use as well

Man of Honour
What are your collective thoughts on power racks? I’ve been eyeing up the Mirafit range in anticipation of a Black Friday deal.

My current setup is a bench, squat rack which can also adjust for bench press, a home made pull-down cable and pulley from the garage rafters, dumbbells and barbells. I’m thinking a power rack will open up the options for me to vary my routine a bit.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have a half rack which is really space efficient. Just means the catchers are outside the rack and can be removed.

Man of Honour
I have a half rack which is really space efficient. Just means the catchers are outside the rack and can be removed.

Looks good. Other than a neater setup, do you think it offers more over the typical setup of a bench and adjustable rack? Trying to figure out if the money would be better spent on something else.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks good. Other than a neater setup, do you think it offers more over the typical setup of a bench and adjustable rack? Trying to figure out if the money would be better spent on something else.

I use mine for pull/chin ups, bench and squats and dips mainly. It’s a sturdy bit of kit, if you have the room then a full rack adds the extra safety and works better with an addon pulley system I believe.

Soldato
I'm building things up at home, to save on gym membership, travel time and improve consistency, I tend to be a bit start stop especially after injury or illness. I currently have a rower, good all rounder, pull-up bar, various bands and dumbells, ab roller, grip trainers and press up bars. Not a lot in the scheme of things but if you work hard at it consistently you see some good results. I've learnt over time that consistency and avoiding too much too soon is probably the most important.

Soldato
Finally bought a bench over here. However in the move i seem to have lost the bolts and pulleys/cables for the squat rack. I've a feeling they're in a bix at the bottom of the storage unit (of course!) - I might just pick up some bolts and use it without the pull down for now. I did leave it outside and it's a bit rusy in parts, so need to clean it up and possibly paint it at the weekend.

The bench is really nice though. Loads better than the Mirafit stuff i had for not much different a price (Bench was €160 and leg press extension was €80). Really like the leg press extension, it seems well made and adds a nice extra option, and slots in/out easily so it's not in the way for other exercises. Usually i only ever see really cheap benches have this option.

vFqp9LO.jpg

Also picked up a rower. Although fitness kills me on that thing!

i1AkHs5.jpg

Note - Not the final position for the bench! - Need to move the desk to the right to free up room. The problem with a rental - Loads of furniture and nowhere to move it to!

Back
Top Bottom