*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Soldato
£279.99 sounds about right to me. Clear daylight between it and the Vita, no other true next gen competition for a little while at least, plenty of room to budge on price should they need to, a controller that surely has to add something extra to the cost. And all still well under the £300 mark.

Problem is they don't have the games to make me think it's worth any amount of money, not yet anyway. Don't think the more hardcore gamers will forget how they would often go many, many months between Wii releases they actually had any interest in playing.

Permabanned
Steep, as shown with the 3DS and Vita public still wont go around throwing £200+ on hardware in this climate, what do you get with the WiiU (how many of those gamepads do you get and how much are they) add in controllers and a few games and you are talking £400+, most people will not be fast to take up the new Nintendo console, family market are probably happy with the Wii or Kinect

Associate
I think I'll pass on the Wii U tbh. No decent games for launch and very underwhelming hardware specs for that price. I'll wait for the next sony or microsoft console instead and maybe pick one up cheap when they release the next zelda game.

I really don't think it'll sell anywhere near as well as the Wii, especially at that price.

Soldato
What actually is the power of Wiiu equivalent to?

My wii was sat unused for years because although I never played it, I loved smash bros brawl and couldnt quite bare to part with it. I like innovation but part of me just wants a nintendo console with raw power and a normal controller to enjoy the latest iteration of Mario/Metroid/Zelda in fulll graphical glory.

Associate
Its on par with current generation, it does some things better than the current consoles but it does some things worse also.

Its capable of 1080p but games will probably run at 720p like current consoles with a few exceptions. Mario Land will run at 720p for example.

Associate
Yeah that's what I feared this console would be, I didn't buy a Wii because of the motion control rubbish, it's exactly the same with this, I don't want to be looking away from the TV just to access menus/inventory/etc.. and I certainly don't want to be holding the tablet up in front of my face 'scanning' the screen.

Being different for the sake of being different, daft.

Soldato
Have the specs been confirmed yet? It's crazy to think its only on par with an X Box after all these years. Most gamers won't be interested in it lets see if the casual market is going to save Nintendo twice. Sad times but it's their own arrogance that will be their downfall.

Even if the core Nintendo franchises sell well the attach rate for everything else is going to be terriible. Third party games can lower the graphical quality to be on the WillU but people won't be inclined to choose that version unless its the only console they own. It's such a shame because the lead time on the 360-2 and PS4 could have let them establish a massive foothold in the market.

Soldato
I am interested in this console but only once it's down to £100 or so. Mainly because it will have Nintendo made games for it. However, I'd much rather they left the market and made games for other consoles and PC like Sega did. Owning just 1 console would be lovely, instead I have both a 360 (which gets a fair amount of use) and a Wii (which is hardly ever used) and waiting for the PS3 to drop to £80 or so.

It's good that Microsoft and Sony have to battle it out of course to keep prices down but I have little faith in Nintendo delivering home consoles anymore.

Last edited:
Associate
I have read up on the Wii U and would just like confirmation as to whether we will be able to play Wii Games on it?

Not like the 360 where only a few xbox titles are backwards compatible - but will all Wii Games be compatible?

Soldato
So not arsed for the Wii U.

Unless Microsoft seriously drop the ball, I'll be picking up the next XBox, once the price is within reach.

I probably will get the next one regardless, but i'm pretty certain MS only care about internet TV, **** add ons and making the dashboard worse than when it was released in 2005

Yes it will work with wii games, although not gamecube i dont think

Caporegime
I got the wii at launch and still have it, it's not clocked 50 hours use. I really enjoy some of the games, mario strikers and even the sports disc are fun. The online was terrible though. If they had've implemented and xbox live scenario I'd have rather played wii games online than xbox games.

If this has a decent online system, I will get one just to play some of the less serious games online for fun.

Back
Top Bottom