*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Associate
What actually is the power of Wiiu equivalent to?

My wii was sat unused for years because although I never played it, I loved smash bros brawl and couldnt quite bare to part with it. I like innovation but part of me just wants a nintendo console with raw power and a normal controller to enjoy the latest iteration of Mario/Metroid/Zelda in fulll graphical glory.

I don't know what the support will be like, but they have a 360 style Wii U Pro controller.

Caporegime
Once again they're milking their customers by having as many peripherals as possible. Two wii-U controllers, multiple pro controllers, multiple wii remotes, multiple nunchuks then who knows what else? It adds a considerable amount on top of the console if devs make games requiring one or the other.

Soldato
Yeah that's what I feared this console would be, I didn't buy a Wii because of the motion control rubbish, it's exactly the same with this, I don't want to be looking away from the TV just to access menus/inventory/etc.. and I certainly don't want to be holding the tablet up in front of my face 'scanning' the screen.

Being different for the sake of being different, daft.

Its not a case of "Being different for the sake of being different". Its about them bringing new controller innovations to allow for different gameplay ideas. You might enjoy simplistic 1st person shooters, but there are others who like the variety, and gameplay challenges. The problem is so many "so called" gamers are very narrow minded and not really gamers at all. True gamers will embrace whatever for the challenge and the fun, not just whinge about it.

Have the specs been confirmed yet? It's crazy to think its only on par with an X Box after all these years.

It may be on par, or slightly above. Nintendo have pretty much shrunk the 360/PS3 tech into a tiny Wii sized box. Compare that to the size of the 360s and PS3 slim. Yes I know it don't have the HDD, but its still considerable smaller.

I have read up on the Wii U and would just like confirmation as to whether we will be able to play Wii Games on it?

Not like the 360 where only a few xbox titles are backwards compatible - but will all Wii Games be compatible?

Yes Wii games will be compatible. No GameCube tho.

Once again they're milking their customers by having as many peripherals as possible. Two wii-U controllers, multiple pro controllers, multiple wii remotes, multiple nunchuks then who knows what else? It adds a considerable amount on top of the console if devs make games requiring one or the other.

I guess, most people might be upgrading from a Wii, who'd have most of the Wii stuff anyway. If you already have a Wii, then its really saving you money as you already have most of the controllers. It all depends on which angle you look at.

Last edited:
Associate
Im pleasantly surprise with the wii-u. It may not be the most powerful machine, but I'm interested in features such as being able to continue playing on the tablet pad leaving the tv free to use. Games wise Nintendo are Nintendo no doubt we can expect Mario tennis, kart, brawl, paper, etc etc but I'm looking forward to playing everything with the new control scheme and at a higher resolution.

I'll be buying one as long as it's priced right, got all the bits from the Wii that should be re-usable.

Associate
OP
Likely specs for those wanting to know:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eaked-at-e3-tri-core-cpu-15gb-ram-8gb-flash/#

For me, it's a Gamecube/Wii in 720p/1080p, and that's all that matters - I like Nintendo games - I don't want everything to be 'new' and 'next-gen' as I really don't care - it's about the gameplay I enjoy.

Sure, I'll be playing Beyond, TLOU etc. on PS3 and games like Watch Dogs on PC, but the 'grown-up' consoles will never quite match Nintendo games in some areas, and they don't need to be 'gritty photorealistic ultra-physics' titles - they just need to be fun.

Personally, with the integrated screen etc., I was expecting around £350 - just look at how much the iPad is, with less hardware (yeah yeah - a stupid-res screen that GPUs can't actually do much with), and yet people expect consoles to be cheaper.

Day 1 for me, and I'm looking forward to playing existing Wii games on the gamepad screen. Bliss.

I'm far less likely to buy the next XBox, as they have absolutely nothing I'm interested in (and I'm really hoping the Valve Linux push works well, as Windows 8 doesn't appeal).

So, I reckon the price is good, it's backwards compatible with all the existing peripherals I have on the Wii, and it will be just what I want. Sorted.

(Yes, I have a young daughter, yes I'm sick of 'shooters' and yes I'm old and like my games to have an 'easy' option when I've only got an hour after work. If that's 'casual' gaming, bring it on)

Soldato
Wii U GamePad to cost £135?

Swedish retailer estimates a high price for Wii U GamePad and Pro Controller.

The Swedish branch of retailer has priced a range of Wii U accessories, including the Wii U GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller.

The retailer estimates that the Wii U GamePad will cost SEK 1499 (GBP ~£135).

Meanwhile, the Wii U Pro Controller has been given a price tag of SEK 699 (GBP ~£62).

For sake of comparison, a Wii Remote Plus costs SEK 499 (GBP ~£45). Over here, a Wii Remote Plus would officially set you back £39.99.

These prices may not be final, however. The retailer points out that the "price & dates are tentative" and subject to change.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/wii_u_gamepad_to_cost_135.html

Associate
Spot on djkav. It isn't all about gfxpron and wanting a grind fest with cod/bf for new medals and gunz.

Looking forward to see what Nintendo produces.

Soldato
Not going anywere near this console until a good year after its out. Got the wii and it was just not for me. Plus even though it was the cheapest conole out, it turn a tad expensive when you added the extrs wii motes and attachment. Unless there is clear improvement in games then im not going near it. I wonder out of the millions who bought a wii still use it?

Soldato
Would love to say looking forward to this but i'm not. Regardless of whether you are interested in the latest COD/FIFA etc Nintendo always have so few quality releases, so far apart that I always regret buying their consoles.

My Wii bought on release day was sold after about 6 months.

They may be innovative but if you only get 4-5 games a year fully designed to take advantage of their 'innovation' whats the point.

I also like shiny graphics! (This is a lighthearted statement but true, great graphics/sound can immerse you in the game, fair play it isn't required for a great game but Nintendo should really pull their finger out now as they have been coastings on the 'fun' element for years now. I still want to see a Zelda look like the version from E3 years ago).

I expect the new Xbox/PS announcements close to Wii U launch.

Soldato
The Wii to be was awkward and dull for the most part, horrific controllers, the wii u looks to have taken that back with a fantastic looking controller, I dont want to be waving my hands around with nunchucks and bits of wire between them, it just never felt like you were in control, so an expanded gamepad sounds great.

Worry is they still put out a lot of games using the wiimote/nunchuck combo.

Caporegime
Don't think this is goig to do well tbh, with the wii ending up a bit of a fad, IMO, i feel that the people who upgrade consoles regularly are the ps and xbox crowd. Families probably won't bother. Also the kinect has stolen some of the market, and does a better job, tho not it still isn't for the hardcore gamer

I think it has a small market in these times tbh. Too small. I don't know where Nintendo should go, a HD style n64 would be interesting, but for me Nintendo has never been about the graphics. Their image doesn't really sit with the big money spenders

Caporegime
Spot on djkav. It isn't all about gfxpron and wanting a grind fest with cod/bf for new medals and gunz.

Looking forward to see what Nintendo produces.

The thing is....that's just a stupid statement.

You've named two games out of the thousands of varied titles available on the other consoles, it's like me saying the wii-u will just have another mario game and that's it.

And console power isn't just about 'gfxpron' It can enable better graphics, better physics, better audio, better A.I., bigger levels, more npc's....etc. Gaming cannot progress without this, so many games now are being held back by the hardware in current consoles.

Soldato
Nintendo has had such long history of never putting a foot wrong, but this console really could be the first time they may come unstuck. It's going to be really interesting to see how it unfolds.

Associate
Its not a case of "Being different for the sake of being different". Its about them bringing new controller innovations to allow for different gameplay ideas. You might enjoy simplistic 1st person shooters, but there are others who like the variety, and gameplay challenges. The problem is so many "so called" gamers are very narrow minded and not really gamers at all. True gamers will embrace whatever for the challenge and the fun, not just whinge about it.
Of course its different for the sake of it, just look at their E3 conference. Its like they thought about the controller then thought about how they could implement it instead of the other way around.

Its nice of you to just assume that I'm some braindead CoD moron that only likes pretty explosions just because I don't ride Nintendos ****.

NOTHING the 'gamepad' did at E3 impressed me, it was as I thought it was going to be, half baked ideas and tacked on controls for the tablet.

Soldato

Please don't start with the "true gamer" nonsense, it just makes you look silly.

It may be on par, or slightly above. Nintendo have pretty much shrunk the 360/PS3 tech into a tiny Wii sized box. Compare that to the size of the 360s and PS3 slim. Yes I know it don't have the HDD, but its still considerable smaller.

I think people (here at least) are more interested in performance than in how big the box is.

Soldato
My wish is Nintendo stop this motion rubbish and go back to making a console of worth with decent tech, decent games and some real attitude and actually have a mario game at launch!

I am fearful that this wish will never happen because I cant see this taking off and Nintendo are going to tank hard.

Associate
My wish is Nintendo stop this motion rubbish and go back to making a console of worth with decent tech, decent games and some real attitude and actually have a mario game at launch!

I am fearful that this wish will never happen because I cant see this taking off and Nintendo are going to tank hard.
I love Nintendo but the Wii put me right off and the Wii U doesn't look any better.

They know they can't really compete with 360/PS3 so they are trying to go the quirky/different route, they struck gold with the Wii but people are getting bored of it now hence the drop in sales.

The Wii U is just carrying on with the niche trend and I think Nintendo are in for a shock once the Wii U launches.

Back
Top Bottom