• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
no, mine is going back doa :( . started fine tried cod 4 then turned off never to come back on :confused:tried two other cards fine :(

yeah same with mine gettin it rma'ed. boots fine put about 30% load on it and the screen goes black and the computer hangs :(

oh well should have a new one soon:)

Soldato
very impressed with this card (the 5850) crossfired it to my old one and it runs a good 15-20C cooler under load, whisper quiet and all for half the price of the original.

excellent.
100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg

Associate
Guys, I am overjoyed for those of you who can get these cards to work. I had one arrive today to replace a 4850. I have raised an RMA as it simply isn't working. I have a 1000W PSU, Phenom Quad Core Processor, 4 GB RAM. Vista 64 bit Ultimate. Reeled off all my hardware to the guy in support and he agreed that there was no reason the card would be incompatible with my MOBO.

Downloaded the official ATI/AMD guide to install and followed them to the letter, uninstalled the drivers, powered off, unplugged. Did the anti-static thing before touching anything. Removed the old card. Carefully but firmly seated and secured the 5850. Plugged in both 6 pin connectors from the PSU to the card. Plugged in the power and the monitor and off it went...NOT.

The computer powered up, everything whirred into life...except that I had no display. Windows was loading because I heard the little Windows start up jingle. Several attempts later I gave up, replaced the old card and, bingo! I have a display and have been playing Fallout 3 on ultra high at a fair old frame rate.

I am really disappointed, as I wanted a decent DX11 card in preparation for Elder Scrolls V, and even the very reasonable price from OCUK isn't reasonable when you have something that doesn't work.

Soldato
Got mine Tuesday just gone, installed and works next well to my Asus TOP model, almost doubling my FPS in most things I've tried, very impressed! Works brilliantly, though it causes the Asus to get hot and it's fan to go a bit crazy as they are touching and I guess it's struggling to suck in some air. I might try them the other way round see if it helps.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/971991

Caporegime
Guys, I am overjoyed for those of you who can get these cards to work. I had one arrive today to replace a 4850. I have raised an RMA as it simply isn't working. I have a 1000W PSU, Phenom Quad Core Processor, 4 GB RAM. Vista 64 bit Ultimate. Reeled off all my hardware to the guy in support and he agreed that there was no reason the card would be incompatible with my MOBO.

Downloaded the official ATI/AMD guide to install and followed them to the letter, uninstalled the drivers, powered off, unplugged. Did the anti-static thing before touching anything. Removed the old card. Carefully but firmly seated and secured the 5850. Plugged in both 6 pin connectors from the PSU to the card. Plugged in the power and the monitor and off it went...NOT.

The computer powered up, everything whirred into life...except that I had no display. Windows was loading because I heard the little Windows start up jingle. Several attempts later I gave up, replaced the old card and, bingo! I have a display and have been playing Fallout 3 on ultra high at a fair old frame rate.

I am really disappointed, as I wanted a decent DX11 card in preparation for Elder Scrolls V, and even the very reasonable price from OCUK isn't reasonable when you have something that doesn't work.

exact same as mine i really cant be arsed with rmaing the card quite peed off tbh . also i have to pay to return a faulty card great deal that. what makes it worse could have got the card i brought cheaper but stuck with the loyalty of being a ocuk member . in the end its gonna cost more than a brand new one from anywhere else and more hassle

Last edited:
Associate
OP
exact same as mine i really cant be arsed with rmaing the card quite peed off tbh . also i have to pay to return a faulty card great deal that. what makes it worse could have got the card i brought cheaper but stuck with the loyalty of being a ocuk member . in the end its gonna cost more than a brand new one from anywhere else and more hassle

Wouldn't your card be classed a DOA therefore OC'uk would arrange to pick the card up at their expense?

Caporegime
yeah you do but the point is any other firm i have ever used fetch the product if faulty.

the onus is on the company you purchase from if the product is faulty not on the person. i paid for a working product. the reason i got for this on the phone is " it works out cheaper for us " :mad:

think i might just youtube me hitting the card with a hammer

hdpcgamer theyve told me ive got to send it to them as it works out better for them ! that is the exact words the guy from rma phone chat said no lie.

so not only have i not got my card ive got to pay extra for a broken card while i wait . like a extra kick in the balls.

Last edited:
Soldato

same happened to me when i got my original 5850 when they were released. RMA'd it and the replacement has been working fine. RMA wont take long as its via ocuk.

Associate
Uh...well they have arranged to collect mine, I printed out the RMA thingy and from what I gather, if the darned thing is found by the testers to be working, THEN they charge you for the postage and send it back to you.

On my RMA it says refund rather than replacement. I really hope they refund me quickly as I don't mind being £135 down for a working card, but object like hell to £135 for a piece of junk (yes I paid extra for a next day Saturday delivery).

I really wanted to love the product, and I cannot fault the delivery service and so on, but looking at the number of DOA's reported in this thread I am not very confident in the card at all. I REALLY hope that they do not try to tell me it is working. How can it be, when re-installing the older card by doing all the same actions gets me an insta-display?

Question is, when I do get my money back, what to get?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom