*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Did some now research seems it might be specifically the channel width for 5ghz.
Doesn't seem to like 80 or higher.
Also seems to be just the U6 range of APs maybe chipset related.
Huh, that's a weird one. I'm using the 6 Pro and a family member with the 6a. No issues at all with my U6 Pro's 5GHz on channel 52, 80MHz. Firmware version 6.5.71 so not the latest. DTIM is on auto but that's on the recommended 3 for 5GHz.

Soldato
Huh, that's a weird one. I'm using the 6 Pro and a family member with the 6a. No issues at all with my U6 Pro's 5GHz on channel 52, 80MHz. Firmware version 6.5.71 so not the latest. DTIM is on auto but that's on the recommended 3 for 5GHz.
Mine is on the latest firmware, I wonder if that has issues.
Phones been fine since I moved it into 2.4ghz. if it was my phone id mess around now to figure it out but the wife's happy for now so I've left it alone.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I had a bit of a play with the UDW yesterday and I have jumbo frames working on the PPPoE interfaces

So the following needs to be done as before on the CLI:
Code:
sed -i 's/ 1492/ 1500/g' /etc/ppp/peers/ppp0
sed -i 's/ 1492/ 1500/g' /etc/ppp/peers/ppp1
ip link set dev eth18 mtu 1508
ip link set dev eth19 mtu 1508
ifconfig eth18 down && ifconfig eth18 up
ifconfig eth19 down && ifconfig eth19 up
killall pppd

Under Sevices on the UDW MSS Clamping will need to be set to disable, so it allows a 1460 maximum segment size which is the data payload inside the packet which is 40 bytes less than the overall packet.

Just seeing if I can get this to retain at boot and that's a minor issue corrected.

https://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php shows a 1500MTU :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone using a UDM Pro on a multi gig WAN connection? I realise Ubiquiti now offer its own multigig RJ45 to SFP+ transceiver (UACC-CM-RJ45-MG), any advantage over the MikroTik S+RJ10 for a 2.5Gb WAN? I have a CF 10Gb ONT, so logically I should be able to go direct to a 10Gb transceiver.

Soldato
Anyone using a UDM Pro on a multi gig WAN connection? I realise Ubiquiti now offer its own multigig RJ45 to SFP+ transceiver (UACC-CM-RJ45-MG), any advantage over the MikroTik S+RJ10 for a 2.5Gb WAN? I have a CF 10Gb ONT, so logically I should be able to go direct to a 10Gb transceiver.

There shouldn’t be, assuming the SFP+ transceiver has been programmed to work correctly with the SFP+ port on the UDM Pro. The only advantage of getting the UBNT device is you KNOW it will work, rather than hoping it will work. And in the very unlikely event that UBNT decide to reprogram their SFP+ port, you know it will still work.

Years ago, when these things were £300 each for a genuine UBNT device we had a Taiwanese manufacturer flash UBNT firmware onto their transceiver modules and they worked just fine in the old USW-16-XG until one day there was an update and they all stopped working. It was about £4K worth of modules and they all had go back to Taiwan to be reflashed with the latest UBNT firmware, since when they’ve survived every firmware update so far. But if we’d just bought the UBNT ones they would have just worked and continued to work.

And remember, they don’t auto-negotiate so unless the ONT and SFP+ port are manually set the same, it won’t work even with the UBNT module. SFP+ is great in concept but it’s one of those technologies that can be very frustrating to diagnose if it doesn’t work. So these days dI just specify the original UBNT part.

Soldato
There shouldn’t be, assuming the SFP+ transceiver has been programmed to work correctly with the SFP+ port on the UDM Pro. The only advantage of getting the UBNT device is you KNOW it will work, rather than hoping it will work. And in the very unlikely event that UBNT decide to reprogram their SFP+ port, you know it will still work.

Years ago, when these things were £300 each for a genuine UBNT device we had a Taiwanese manufacturer flash UBNT firmware onto their transceiver modules and they worked just fine in the old USW-16-XG until one day there was an update and they all stopped working. It was about £4K worth of modules and they all had go back to Taiwan to be reflashed with the latest UBNT firmware, since when they’ve survived every firmware update so far. But if we’d just bought the UBNT ones they would have just worked and continued to work.

And remember, they don’t auto-negotiate so unless the ONT and SFP+ port are manually set the same, it won’t work even with the UBNT module. SFP+ is great in concept but it’s one of those technologies that can be very frustrating to diagnose if it doesn’t work. So these days dI just specify the original UBNT part.
Yep, a standard is only a standard of everyone follows it and sticks to it, and similar issues have caught me out on Intel x520’s in the past, that came down to driver patching and suddenly almost any transceiver worked perfectly. I can’t blame Ubiquiti for seeking to protect its revenue stream, but it would be nice if they could communicate it clearly in advance.

Interestingly from what I have read, the MikroTik just presents 10Gb on the SFP+ side and negotiates on the cooper side which had me head scratching as that didn’t seem right, but then again the SFP+ port is only 1 or 10 on the UDMP from what I can tell, so it would have to, which brings me back to chancing a straight 10Gb transceiver. Hmm.

Soldato
The UBNT transceiver has a very crude automatic negotiation process whereby when you first plug it in it tries to connect at 10GbE. If, after 30 seconds it cannot establish a 10GbE connection it tries to connect at 5GbE for 30 seconds then 2.5GbE for 30 seconds and then it defaults to 1GbE which it should be able to run at all the time. One issue is that folks get bored waiting for 2-4 times 30 seconds and start messing and the other thing is that once it’s running at 1GbE it will never run that auto negotiation again as far as so can tell. So you have to manually adjust both ends to make it work faster.

Soldato
The UBNT transceiver has a very crude automatic negotiation process whereby when you first plug it in it tries to connect at 10GbE. If, after 30 seconds it cannot establish a 10GbE connection it tries to connect at 5GbE for 30 seconds then 2.5GbE for 30 seconds and then it defaults to 1GbE which it should be able to run at all the time. One issue is that folks get bored waiting for 2-4 times 30 seconds and start messing and the other thing is that once it’s running at 1GbE it will never run that auto negotiation again as far as so can tell. So you have to manually adjust both ends to make it work faster.
Thats actually really useful to know, and you may have just saved me trying to diagnose an issue that doesn't exist, as I probably wouldn't have waited 90+ seconds to see what happened before trying to fix it.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I am currently using a UACC-CM-RJ45-MG for my WAN 1 connection, as I have flipped it over from the 2.5GbE interface I am seeing some odd issues when you saturate the connection. I have a case open with Ubiquiti about it, as it's a fairly repeatable behaviour, so I have sent them a bunch of logs this evening.

On the UDW I've tested the following:

WAN 1 - Port 16 - Works Fine
WAN 1 - Port 19 - Fails quickly when loading the connection
WAN 1 - Port 20 - Works Fine

I've also seen a similar behaviour on the UDM SE but I never bothered looking too much into it this is when using a Nokia ONT G-010G-Q, and I am wondering if this behaviour will persist when I upgrade to the Nokia G-010G-T ONT. Oddly if I use my FTTC (80/20) connection on the 2.5GbE interface (Port 19) it works perfectly fine maxing out the connection.

Soldato
After looking at availability and lead time, I have the Mikrotik S+RJ10 coming today from Amazon. Everyone seems to rate them for the job, and if/when it comes back to bite me, i've only myself to blame, but I figure there's a difference between Ubiquiti altering it's module validation to exclude 3rd party modules with cloned firmware and outright targeting another legitimate OEM without good reason. Still got to pickup some short DAC's to link back to my core switch and OM4 and optical transceivers to replace the existing copper backhaul. I have briefly looked at camera's and the doorbell and wondered if you get an ounce of whatever the developers were clearly on included in the £200 entry level doorbell price tag, let alone the £330+ for the PoE version as that's literally the price of a UDM Pro near enough.

Man of Honour
I've used FS.com modules with UniFi kit for about ~6 years now I think without any issues. In fact, I've had more issues with the UniFi DAC as an example compared to the older (and shorter) fs.com DAC I used.

Soldato
Unifi Express install tonight at a family member on a 350/35, been testing it at home for a few days, seems to work ok. I've enable the content filter and set it to "work" profile, configured OpenDNS family servers. Main thing it'll get thrashed on no doubt is Nintendo Switch and xBox.

About 25 devices if you factor the Alexa's, Ring, Apple devices and what not.

Digging out a spare FlexHD to extend the coverage if required, it's a small 3 bedroom bungalow, but lots of thick walls. Part of wonders if I should have waited for the Cloud Gateway Ultra.

There is some cabling that needs fixing as the rooms have wired backhaul, but some are showing with a fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've used FS.com modules with UniFi kit for about ~6 years now I think without any issues. In fact, I've had more issues with the UniFi DAC as an example compared to the older (and shorter) fs.com DAC I used.
OK, i’ll admit, it would have been cheaper to just agree Unifi may now be able to work out the difference between a cat and a human by now

Transceivers will likely be off brand, but reviews checked/confirmed to be known working with Ubiquiti (for now). I have a few random spares, but transceiver roulette doesn’t fill me with happy thoughts. New cabinet will be fitted tonight under stairs for the UDMP/switch, which lets me move some other crap (Hue/IoT stuff) out of the rack, fibre cable dropped three floors tomorrow and tested with the S+RJ10 and existing transceiver back to the Aruba, then just got to wait for the new toys to arrive and decide which cameras to test. Looking at the state of some of my mates G3/4’s and the way they have yellowed, it feels like another area Ubiquiti may have a few things left to learn.

Soldato
OK, i’ll admit, it would have been cheaper to just agree Unifi may now be able to work out the difference between a cat and a human by now

I think the market has moved on. My current home NVR (Dahua DHI-NVR-5216-16P-I) can tell you it’s a human, whether it’s a man or a woman, whether they have glasses, are wearing a face mask, have facial hair or not, what they are wearing (trousers, shorts, skirt) and what colour top and bottoms they are wearing. I’m looking forward to QA testing the differentiation capability between short shorts and mini-skirts come the summer :)

OK, so it’s a £700+VAT+HDD recorder but it’s AI is awesome. I believe in other markets it also does ethnicity but that option doesn’t appear on UK firmware versions.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the market has moved on. My current home NVR (Dahua DHI-NVR-5216-16P-I) can tell you it’s a human, whether it’s a man or a woman, whether they have glasses, are wearing a face mask, have facial hair or not, what they are wearing (trousers, shorts, skirt) and what colour top and bottoms they are wearing. I’m looking forward to QA testing the differentiation capability between short shorts and mini-skirts come the summer :)

OK, so it’s a £700+VAT+HDD recorder but it’s AI is awesome. I believe in other markets it also does ethnicity but that option doesn’t appear on UK firmware versions.
TBF it was a throwaway comment on Sunday from another thread where I may have inferred Unifi Protect was the born out of wedlock red headed step child of NVR’s and the camera hardware was the product of 5 generations of inbreeding and poor UV stability, but I think I at least tried to be polite and just pointed out it hadn’t got a great history. Chris said he’d struggle to agree with me, and I figured he’s normally sensible, so surely it can’t be as bad as it was 3-4 years back when I went running to Hikvision - which is now upto 3 sites and behaving perfectly thank you again. So being a normal and well adjusted person, a few clicks later and I had thrown more money at Ubiquiti than in hindsight seems justified, and some time tomorrow (despite the lack of dispatch confirmation) I am going to be the (proud?) owner of a UDMP and Unifi PoE switch, which feels like a significant downgrade from my Aruba, but is effectively only for cameras and AP’s. I’m looking at it as an opportunity to re-validate my ‘Hate on Unifi’ credentials for another few years and having seen what used models seemingly do used on eBay, it’s not like I can really loose that much. I also keep telling myself this is not a misguided relapse into the blue LED crack pipe of Ubiquiti. I don’t have a problem. I can stop when I want.

Things somehow escalated to include a new comms cabinet, a few OM4 drops and new optical transceivers, an S+RJ10 transceiver to bring NBASE-T copper WAN in, rack studs and a SC/APC extension kit to relocate the ONT. As I type this I realise I have overlooked a UPS for the comms cab, but I can sort that. I haven’t actually got to the bit where I buy cameras or AP’s yet, so technically it’ll be **** knows how much before I can test pussy identification.

I was originally just planning on throwing my ‘spare’ collection of Hikvision G1/G2 cameras in and using the Hikvision software to manage them, and trying Frigate or similar OSS with the Coral TPU, but where’s the fun in that?

The Dahua sounds great, though having seen some of the people who end up calling at the properties I have cameras at, I would probably pay extra to downgrade to a potato resolution camera as it’s cheaper than the therapy bill would be. Also Scotland doesn’t have summer and we all know it

Soldato
Does anyone know eta of cloud ultra for UK?

Installed an express at sister in law last night and it’s working all fine. However found cable faults, so my loan FlexHD can’t be wired into the preferred location.

Plan is to get wired sockets sorted and maybe switch to the cloud ultra with 2 x ceiling APs

The express would be a spare for me / given to another family member.

Either way the Virgin hub 4 issue has been sorted, with 30 devices it was disconnecting regularly. Virgin’s response was apparently too many devices (tbh what did we expect). At the end of this contract there should be some alt nets in the area.

Back
Top Bottom