*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Does anyone know eta of cloud ultra for UK?

Installed an express at sister in law last night and it’s working all fine. However found cable faults, so my loan FlexHD can’t be wired into the preferred location.

Plan is to get wired sockets sorted and maybe switch to the cloud ultra with 2 x ceiling APs

The express would be a spare for me / given to another family member.

Either way the Virgin hub 4 issue has been sorted, with 30 devices it was disconnecting regularly. Virgin’s response was apparently too many devices (tbh what did we expect). At the end of this contract there should be some alt nets in the area.
i managed to get the cloud ultra from EU store today, i dont know if i missed the UK stock.
it will replace my unifi express which i setup a few weeks ago, i will use that for wifi for now.

the UX worked fine with everything i needed, the ultra just has that little bit more and suits my setup.

Soldato
Updated the Network app this morning, it went much faster than I expected, zero issues as well. Not sure there is anything in it that effects me.

Soldato
i managed to get the cloud ultra from EU store today, i dont know if i missed the UK stock.
it will replace my unifi express which i setup a few weeks ago, i will use that for wifi for now.

the UX worked fine with everything i needed, the ultra just has that little bit more and suits my setup.

My thoughts too tbh for the family member, will sort cabling and see how they do.

I see a UK reseller listing 70+ days away.

Soldato
Feel better now? And you missed the opportunity to point out how the AI gets confused by men in kilts.

True about the summer but that doesn’t stop the wimmin.
Not really. Logistics lag from making a purchase to deployment is the least enjoyable part of the process for me, especially when it’s a ‘fill in a few days and play’ type gig. I’m still waiting on the main Unifi kit, the ONT relocation fibre is a job for Monday now, and Royal Mail did nothing with my MikroTik transceiver delivery from 6:45am yesterday till the 8pm delivery slot ended, it turned up this morning after last nights Amazon delivery arrived pre 9am and supplier is now saying Thursday or Friday for the UDMP and switch. If it's not here tomorrow it'll be re-ordered from Amazon for Friday as I don't have another gap to do this for weeks, sadly that means returning the S+RJ10 that arrived today, but saves 1u short term.

Funny you should mention kilts, my father is from Dumfries, I got married in Comlongon and had property over the border at one point, and it’s not just AI that can get confused. My old collie used to go up behind anyone wearing a skirt and put her head under and then lift it up and put her nose right between your cheeks, she was a rescue so no idea how/why this became a thing. At one family gathering, she did her usual, only to find it was an elderly relative in a kilt who had gone fully traditional. He certainly jumped well for an auld boy, but it was also quite a cold day. That's the last time I remember the dog ever doing that to anyone.

Anyway, back to my Unifi flaming money pit. It looks like the G5 bullet and Flex are the main camera options as domes don't do well for me outside, though going back to IR feels like a significant downgrade., but once the rest is here, i'll order a G5 Bullet to test, going back to an IR based night set-up really feels like a significant step back compared to the Hikvision G2 LSU's. I may just try it with a doorbell as the G4 Pro doorbell kit is starting to look less unappealing than it did when I started :eek:

Soldato
Woke up to find my order still hadn't shipped, supplier agreed to refund and rather than take the universe's obvious hint that this is a bad idea, i've doubled down and ordered a UDMP-SE that will be here tomorrow ‘allegedly’. I feel slightly conflicted as the SE is coming from the same Amazon seller who I potentially need to return the S+RJ10 back to now, but I can’t see any benefit in keeping it and it’s still unused. Ironically I am now four figures deep on Unifi kit this week (pending refunds for non delivery) and have nothing to show for it other than mild frustration.

I’ve now accepted ‘let’s try it this week’ looks more like I’ll have routing tomorrow and then worry about the rest the next time I have some free time.

Soldato
Any reason for not ordering via the Unifi store or LinITX etc?
Honestly, dealing with a known quantity, slightly better pricing and easy delivery options (how ironic?) rather than having to deal with being a new customer who wants things that aren’t that cheap sent to somewhere that isn’t my card address on a first order. I note Ubiquiti now have UK based logistics which is presumably better than it used to be, so i’ll potentially go that route with the cameras, but for now I have reverted back to the ‘safety’ of Amazon as rather than being a fun distraction project for the back end of the week, it’s turned into chasing suppliers and unwanted annoyance, which in hindsight could have been easily avoided.

Live and learn.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The UK UI store is normally around 3 days (UPS), which is the same as the EU (DHL) on with the cheaper option but they do have the next day on that one.

That's the recent experiences I have had with the UI Store.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be obvious, but resolution isn't everything when it comes to IQ/detail etc.
That's not what I said though is it. The ability to just have a single wide camera that you can also crop into to get details of often desirable Vs multiple cameras.

At with were doing a huge surge in the desire for 4k or higher cameras and that's in an industry that moves at a snails pace.
I'd just want a single camera on the front of my house that can see the whole garden but also zoom on and read number plates from a reasonable distance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I missing something? Other players in the market do full colour in near pitch black with decent levels of detail, I was really hoping this would be an option for Protect ‘soon’, but it appears they’re persevering with IR. The turret looks like a reasonable fit for me subject to seeing the specs.

Soldato
Am I missing something? Other players in the market do full colour in near pitch black with decent levels of detail, I was really hoping this would be an option for Protect ‘soon’, but it appears they’re persevering with IR. The turret looks like a reasonable fit for me subject to seeing the specs.
IS that the G5 turret ultra you were looking at? Just had a peek at it. Looks not bad.

Soldato
Yes, a more compact option than the bullet and hopefully does away with the spider problem the domes tend to suffer from. Quality doesn’t have to mean colour at night or high resolution, but the sensor tech exists and is mature enough, so presumably Ubiquiti have a reason for choosing to stay with IR at this point. I’m wondering how long before we get a G5 Doorbell though.

Soldato
Yes, a more compact option than the bullet and hopefully does away with the spider problem the domes tend to suffer from. Quality doesn’t have to mean colour at night or high resolution, but the sensor tech exists and is mature enough, so presumably Ubiquiti have a reason for choosing to stay with IR at this point. I’m wondering how long before we get a G5 Doorbell though.
I do want to have my gear on one system however, I like my Hikvision cameras, they do a good job so may hold off.

I was reading up on the G5 turret on Reddit not so long ago. There were comments of there being strong hints of the G5 doorbell being soon from a video that was posted.

Back
Top Bottom