On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Soldato
tell me your meat consumption and have the wow right back

What has this got to do with meat (apart form the apparent confirmation of vegans gonna vegan stereotype)?

I think you have absolutely missed the point, it's certainly how your posts come across, very ignorant

Read your posts back and maybe reflect on what you have posted, the point of this thread, the situation some in this thread.may be in.

Soldato
A bad liver scan would maybe make me sit up and listen but it seems to be lots just having the odd weekend tipple, its the way society is moving, just stop anything that is enjoyable.
At the end of the day mate it's your choice and no one can force or make you stop drinking. If you enjoy it and it's not causing you to many issues right now then it's fine.

That being said, if like me who drank until I blacked out, drank from morning until night! Felt like crap all the time and was so anxious mid afternoon I'd have to drink vodka.

Nights out I'd always end up sleeping outside covered in my own blood because I'd fallen over so much. My wife once found me upside down in are own front hedge!

This is when it becomes a problem! This was my rock bottom and I never want to get that low again.

Last edited:
Don
At the end of the day mate it's your choice and no one can force or make you stop drinking. If you enjoy it and it's not causing you to many issues right now then it's fine.

That being said, if like me who drank until I blacked out, drank from morning until night! Felt like crap all the time and was so anxious mid afternoon I'd have to drink vodka.

Nights out I'd always end up sleeping outside covered in my own blood because I'd fallen over so much. My wife once found me upside down in are own front hedge!

This is when it becomes a problem! This was my rock bottom and I never want to get that low again.

High five (probably not in a good way), that's basically me, apart from the wife bit :p

Soldato
Moderation is always an option i think i am over the unit limits for this country but not way over, having said that i break the session limits, i mean i could try a weaker wine and start from there
I tried Moderation several times but always failed. My moderation was to swap to just Fosters beer, in the end I just slammed 24 cans a day. I'm an alcoholic though.

It Took me about 6 months to stop in the end, my wife and I came up with a plan and I'd drink 1 beer less a day until I was down to a 4 pack, the I swapped to 3 bottles of cider until I managed full days without. In the end it was fairly easy and I stopped drinking Xmas Eve 2016.

Soldato
tell me your meat consumption and have the wow right back
I only eat meat. Since doing so I've resolved obesity, hypertension, arthritis, depression, drinking, food addiction, shoulder and knee injury that prevented me lifting weights. I now do 8000 steps a day, weights 3 times a week, taekwondo twice a week - all impossible for me before i switched diet. Wow is correct, its amazing.
(you're probably going to quote a load of epidemiology back at me to say this is all bad but epidemiology is not real science and is so easily co-opted by theology its not even funny).

Soldato
I tried Moderation several times but always failed. My moderation was to swap to just Fosters beer, in the end I just slammed 24 cans a day. I'm an alcoholic though.

It Took me about 6 months to stop in the end, my wife and I came up with a plan and I'd drink 1 beer less a day until I was down to a 4 pack, the I swapped to 3 bottles of cider until I managed full days without. In the end it was fairly easy and I stopped drinking Xmas Eve 2016.
Congrats, thats awesome.

Soldato
I only eat meat. Since doing so I've resolved obesity, hypertension, arthritis, depression, drinking, food addiction, shoulder and knee injury that prevented me lifting weights. I now do 8000 steps a day, weights 3 times a week, taekwondo twice a week - all impossible for me before i switched diet. Wow is correct, its amazing.
(you're probably going to quote a load of epidemiology back at me to say this is all bad but epidemiology is not real science and is so easily co-opted by theology its not even funny).

8000 steps made me chuckle, that's a warm up to my walk

Soldato
My original point is my not wanting to give up drink and yes this may be part of the addiction.
I don't feel the short term benefits as I originally replied to maths, wish I did.
Maybe I should find a local AA meeting

OG

OG

Associate
33 here, never really drank to the point of blackout drunk regularly but over the course of the week would drink quite a bit. Heavier sessions would just lead to crippling hangovers to the point I would just be absolutely useless the day after. Since our first kid came along nearly 3 years ago I haven't really drunk that much, me and my wife will maybe share a glass of wine at the weekend every now and then and I'll have maybe one beer once a week but I feel pretty empowered to just stop at one.

The difficulty has come with going out with friends who all drink a varying amount, we met up last at a gig and I managed to avoid drinking anything and they all seemed pretty accepting of me not drinking which is great. I have however got 3 weddings and 2 stag-dos later in the year which I'm sure will be interesting choosing not to drink as it's always been the default to plan activities/celebration around booze but I'm looking forward to waking up and not feeling awful!

Soldato
My "drinking career"...

Progressive.

It was fine at first and like most was just a weekend thing back when I was 18, going out with mates and enjoying life. But over time, it gradually just got worse, but I never seen this happening, or progressing. It felt "normal" to get drunk and go out to parties. At its peak my drinking stripped me to the core mentally, physically and spiritually. Destroyed me to the point that it isolated me from life and kept me locked in myself with a bottle drinking on my own.

Don't know where I'm going with this really, but my drinking nowadays when I've relapsed (and trust me I've done so loads) is not good in anyway and very dark and broken. I mean it's had me on my knees begging with me reaching out and calling people in tears for help. I go to all the meetings in the world, read the big book, have a sponsor. Whatever it was I was doing didn't work, but I'd try again with something new. What I've realised is that I have to listen to others and try to give back on a daily basis. Just be a better version of who I was. Sometimes doing the opposite of what my mind is telling me is a good skill I've learnt.

Drinking for me has had me walking my hometown down every alleyway, sitting on every bench, peeing in the street (had to do this even though I knew it was wrong). Also I've been picked up by police and ambulance for blacking/passing out in the street, taken to hospital and put on IV drips, vomiting and peeing myself with no self control, I've been assaulted by groups of lads (no fault of my own just an easy target), lost jobs because I thought it was fine to go Asda on my break and buy a bottle then go back, lost relationships, robbed a bottle from a shop (didn't actually open the bottle and took it back the day after as I felt huge guilt and remorse) A very, very, very dark and miserable existence, I would not wish this illness on the most disliked person I could come across. The memories (and I find this the hardest part) I'm left with when sober say when walking certain places or seeing people I've probably engaged with, or remembering what I did there are haunting. This is something I'm still learning to deal with to this day and try to except and move forward from.

Was it all worth it? No. A million, billion, trillion percent. But when the illness progresses, it takes an unbelievable miraculous change in self (life, spiritual, body whatever) to live a better version of yourself day by day. Live in the day and try not to overthink and get trapped in that alone time within your own thoughts.

I wish anyone struggling all the best. Reach out to people and try connect with services such as AA and others. Don't suffer in silence. It's an illness and something you shouldn't be ashamed about, as much as it makes you think that.

Last edited:
Associate
Great to read so many successful stories in this thread. I really need to get off the booze again as it is now a daily thing and I’m sick of it - until the evening draws in obviously :rolleyes:

Haven’t a clue how to stick with it as long term as you guys but we shall see.

How fast a month goes while you are still drinking. Finally took the plunge and said enoughs enough and currently on day 3, not much change so far but feel a lot more tired than usual especially at night.

Soldato

Well ******* done. That cannot have been easy so massive props. Fair play to your wife aswell for presumably supporting you.

Back
Top Bottom