On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Man of Honour
OP
Just popped in to see how everyone is doing. After all these years I can finally look back and not shudder at where I had got to in those dark days.

Congratulations to all that have stayed on the wagon and well done to those of you starting on this new journey. Life gets better with every step you take.:)

Soldato
Just popped in to see how everyone is doing. After all these years I can finally look back and not shudder at where I had got to in those dark days.

Congratulations to all that have stayed on the wagon and well done to those of you starting on this new journey. Life gets better with every step you take.:)
I got my Chase annual summary around New Year and it told me I'd spent over 6.5K in various pubs. That's excluding any cash I spent, obviously.

Damn, I'd like that money back right now. :D To be fair the pub was my only vice and I was paying for food as well!

Last edited:
Associate
I got my Chase annual summary around New Year and it told me I'd spent over 6.5K in various pubs. That's excluding any cash I spent, obviously.

Damn, I'd like that money back right now. :D To be fair the pub was my only vice and I was paying for food as well!

If it makes you feel any better I was drinking out most nights for the past 10 years.....and would easily spend hundreds a night and would routinely take people out spending ungodly amount....

Probably spent half a million haha. :eek:

The problem is not the drink per se it's just that the crowd is just more interesting. It's not to say everyone but just generalised. Anyway I've been cutting down for a while now, already at half of what I usually drink. Had blood test and scan done all showing fine thankfully.

Associate

Nice sentiment and a nice thread by the way, very encouraging and it looks like it's really helped some people so kudos!

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Currently around 10 months sober. Drank a lot following my Dad passing away a year ago and had a few health scares forcing me to give up (atleast for now). I've lost 3 stone and blood pressure is now perfect having always been sligtly raised previously, resting heart rate has come down from 90 to 50-60 also! Back in the gym and feeling good :) NA beers are helping massively, drink them most evenings.

Soldato

Thanks Cosimo, I stopped drinking 7 or 8 years ago partly based on your comments in this thread. :)

Edit was the other thread - but the point still stands.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done to those that have stopped & good luck to those that are trying.

Myself I used to have the occasional drink in my teens but never really enjoyed it, stopped drinking all together when I passed my driving test at the age of 18. Never touched a drop of anything since not even a shandy never even tried wine or spirits and I am 51 years old now.

Soldato
Great sentiments and supportive thread this. Great to hear the encouragement and iger people's history / current situation.

Just over a year dry and really can't see me drinking again - never ever would have believed anyone if they had told me I would one day stop. If I can, pretty much anyone can.

Best of luck to those starting their wagon ride and well done to those long term passengers :)

Soldato
Last drink was Christmas day, was doing dry Jan with the missus but think we're both permanently done with alcohol now. Seeing the state of the brother in law who is well on the way to killing himself with alcohol the same way his dad did is all the motivation required.

Had tapered off drinking last few years anyway, but good to be rid of it completely.

One of the main improvements for me.... I'd been having heart palpitations regularly since my first covid infection a couple years ago, to the point I'd been in hospital. They've completely disappeared.....that alone is enough to keep me off any booze.

Been enjoying the Hitachino Nest Yuzu and Ginger non-ale. I don't really like regular 0% beers as they're missing something, but these are more like a refreshing, hoppy sparkling drink with a bit of yuzu/ginger, very nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to do over 100 days from around July last year just to see if I could. Wasn't drinking much anyway and had already restricted myself to weekends or only drinking 2 days per week which seemed to work quite well. Started drinking again afterwards but drink less beer and mostly around once a week now. Honestly I'm not sure if I should stop completely as it's still enjoyable to have a glass of wine with dinner at weekends and the occasional lads night.

I quite like drinking tradional lemonade and ginger beer just so I'm not drinking squash/water all the time. Helps a little with the "having something nice to hold" aspect. Also lost about 2kg and not having to get up to pee when drinking beers is a bonus.

Glad to see all the positive stories in here guys well done and pat yourselves on the back.

Soldato
Great sentiments and supportive thread this. Great to hear the encouragement and iger people's history / current situation.

Just over a year dry and really can't see me drinking again - never ever would have believed anyone if they had told me I would one day stop. If I can, pretty much anyone can.

Best of luck to those starting their wagon ride and well done to those long term passengers :)
I would have never believed you would stop lol, good that you have though :). Don't ever go back, look forward to not feeling like **** on a regular basis.

Soldato
About 4 months since I had a beer "session" and 3 months since I had 4 small bottles. Made it through Christmas and new year with no slipups. Strange to imagine I've retired from drinking, but it feels like I'm done.

Not really sure what triggered the change exactly but it seems I just hit a point in my life where I changed my feelings on it.

Soldato

Bought a batch of various alcohol free beers and been working through them.

This one is genuinely excellent, just as good as any boozey one. I do like this slightly sour fruit gose style.

Associate
Managed to do over 100 days from around July last year just to see if I could. Wasn't drinking much anyway and had already restricted myself to weekends or only drinking 2 days per week which seemed to work quite well. Started drinking again afterwards but drink less beer and mostly around once a week now. Honestly I'm not sure if I should stop completely as it's still enjoyable to have a glass of wine with dinner at weekends and the occasional lads night.

I quite like drinking tradional lemonade and ginger beer just so I'm not drinking squash/water all the time. Helps a little with the "having something nice to hold" aspect. Also lost about 2kg and not having to get up to pee when drinking beers is a bonus.

Glad to see all the positive stories in here guys well done and pat yourselves on the back.

Honestly it sounds like you're in pretty good control, so having the glass of wine and the occasional night out sounds like part of a rounded and full lifestyle, so makes sense to me.

Soldato

Bought a batch of various alcohol free beers and been working through them.

This one is genuinely excellent, just as good as any boozey one. I do like this slightly sour fruit gose style.
Don't know if it's your thing, but have you tried alcohol free Guinness? It's like Heineken 0.0., in so much that its indistinguishable from the full-fat version.

Soldato
Well I've got to say I've found dry January an absolute doddle, and I'm continuing into February. This is the first time in all attempts I've made the entire month.

I think I can put it down to a number of reasons...

1. Falling over and hitting my head over Xmas was definitely a bit of a wake up call.
2. My son's mother is being very difficult at the minute and I realise I need to keep a clear head if I'm going to deal with it effectively.
3. I've not had any real cravings for a beer but the alcohol free alternatives definitely do the trick.
4. It's taken over a month but I actually feel great. My mental health has improved, I have a clearer mind, I'm more focused. It's incredible.

I do intend on having a drink again, but I feel I am now positioned to make better choices around how much I drink when I do.

Right now I feel I could quite easily give it up for good.

Soldato
I have to admit, I haven't had a drink in the UK for a few years.

When I visit my brother in Pattaya, Thailand, it all goes to pot. I tried having soft drinks, but the atmosphere of Pattaya and all the bars destroys my willpower completely.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers @Cosimo for the recipes in the original thread, tried a couple and now ordered a ton of fresh fruit/mixers to make the others with.

Has anyone tried Big Drop's alcohol-free beers? Really impressed with their flavour and mouthfeel.

Their Poolside DDH IPA and Citra IPA are both excellent.
Citra and Pine Trail are both awesome, they’re very slowly appearing in more pubs too. It’d be great to go out and have a proper pint of one of them.

Associate
Great to read so many successful stories in this thread. I really need to get off the booze again as it is now a daily thing and I’m sick of it - until the evening draws in obviously :rolleyes:

Haven’t a clue how to stick with it as long term as you guys but we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom