On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Soldato
3 months today since my last drink.

Was never intending to go tee total, just did the usual dry January with the other half.....but we've both just carried it on now. Replaced the Friday evening drink with some non-alcoholic alternatives and neither of us are missing it at all. Sleeping better, better mood, waking up early, loads more time to do stuff, more money in my pocket.

Got a few festivals this year and sure I will end up having a drink at some point, but have absolutely zero desire to at the moment.

Got some quite expensive booze in the cupboard that I'll try and offload on mates :p

Soldato
3 months today since my last drink.

Was never intending to go tee total, just did the usual dry January with the other half.....but we've both just carried it on now. Replaced the Friday evening drink with some non-alcoholic alternatives and neither of us are missing it at all. Sleeping better, better mood, waking up early, loads more time to do stuff, more money in my pocket.

Got a few festivals this year and sure I will end up having a drink at some point, but have absolutely zero desire to at the moment.

Got some quite expensive booze in the cupboard that I'll try and offload on mates :p

Well.done you!

I'm pretty much accepted now I want / can't drink again.

I even blurted out "oh, I don't drink, I'm T-Total" at a works event a few weeks ago :O

Soldato
Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys that are on the wagon (ballpark figure is fine)?

I wouldn't describe myself as on the wagon, I don't feel I had a problem that needed resolving, my drinking has just tapered off slowly over the years, I was down to 2-3 drinks over the course of a weekend for a long time. Cutting down to zero makes a big difference though.

Other half has suffered anxiety a fair bit her whole life and that is quite strikingly improved since cutting alcohol out completely.

Soldato

I wouldn't describe myself as on the wagon, I don't feel I had a problem that needed resolving, my drinking has just tapered off slowly over the years, I was down to 2-3 drinks over the course of a weekend for a long time. Cutting down to zero makes a big difference though.

Other half has suffered anxiety a fair bit her whole life and that is quite strikingly improved since cutting alcohol out completely.
I think I'm going to end up the same as you (a year younger than you). Tend to go "out out" like once a month / every other month. Don't drink too much at home, usually a 4 pack over a Friday and Saturday.

Associate
I've given up for lent. Done it a few times and find it quite easy. Annoyingly I never feel any benefits whatsoever. I drink a fair amount normally - not really binging, but quite regularly. Yet can easily go without and hardly notice it. Just seems weird that I feel zero benefits at all when I give up. No doubt it is healthier though.

Caporegime
I've given up for lent. Done it a few times and find it quite easy. Annoyingly I never feel any benefits whatsoever. I drink a fair amount normally - not really binging, but quite regularly. Yet can easily go without and hardly notice it. Just seems weird that I feel zero benefits at all when I give up. No doubt it is healthier though.

Stick with it and see how you go. Expect incremental benefits at a surface level over a short term, especially if you're not a heavy drinker.

Soldato
I had to change my diet first. I'd stopped drinking heavily but still had 1-2 on a weekend as it "didn't really affect me" but since changing what I eat daily I was feeling better generally so the weekend beer made me realise what it was doing more and just naturally gave up completely as I stopped liking the way I felt the next day. I've also given up caffeine for the same reason, just don't need it anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stick with it and see how you go. Expect incremental benefits at a surface level over a short term, especially if you're not a heavy drinker.

I never experience these benefits so i fail every time, its not an issue i find with veganism, i enjoy a drink, life is short, i may get a week of weird smugness in abstinence that seems to be a thing (vegan, pot, kettle, black, you say)
Having said that when i have felt down in the past i always felt worse the day after but even that's not a thing now
I know your all doing the right thing, just adding some light and shade to get a clearer picture that some of us struggle to WANT to do this

Soldato
I never experience these benefits so i fail every time, its not an issue i find with veganism, i enjoy a drink, life is short, i may get a week of weird smugness in abstinence that seems to be a thing (vegan, pot, kettle, black, you say)
Having said that when i have felt down in the past i always felt worse the day after but even that's not a thing now
I know your all doing the right thing, just adding some light and shade to get a clearer picture that some of us struggle to WANT to do this

Just an observation that, for some of us, it's not "wanting" to but "having" to

Back
Top Bottom