Opinion: Started job but can’t afford to travel to office?

Soldato
They weren’t finishing late, I think the agreement was to do a bit of work at home/on the train to make up for not getting in first thing. I just think it’s odd. Like I say, this isn’t some first job out of Uni. This is a FTSE/Nasdaq sized (I can’t remember) household name company doing an office job where it’s entirely possibly to eat a sandwich whilst doing emails or reading documentation. I just wouldn’t dare of bringing it up if I’d already stretched policy and got an ‘out’ to get into the office 2hrs later than everyone else.
Honestly your criticism of this individual is a bit weird. Not once has your criticism focused on her work, task at hand, whether she can do the job. Maybe she is just more productive than you? Able to complete her job within working hours? Without sitting in expensive real estate? Without eating at her desk (vile habit)?

Soldato
OP
Honestly your criticism of this individual is a bit weird. Not once has your criticism focused on her work, task at hand, whether she can do the job. Maybe she is just more productive than you? Able to complete her job within working hours? Without sitting in expensive real estate? Without eating at her desk (vile habit)?
I think you need to go back and read the OP.

Caporegime
They weren’t finishing late, I think the agreement was to do a bit of work at home/on the train to make up for not getting in first thing. I just think it’s odd. Like I say, this isn’t some first job out of Uni. This is a FTSE/Nasdaq sized (I can’t remember) household name company doing an office job where it’s entirely possibly to eat a sandwich whilst doing emails or reading documentation. I just wouldn’t dare of bringing it up if I’d already stretched policy and got an ‘out’ to get into the office 2hrs later than everyone else.g

again, is there a reason to be in the office at all? It is likely going to be much more productive for this person to WFH if the commute is an issue.
The size if the company is pretty irrelevant.

Performance should be judged by output, not arbitrary hours sat at a desk

Caporegime
The worrying part is you haven't seemingly mentioned at all their ability to delivery results on time, which is about the only thing that matters. You are hung up on the requirement for someone to be at an arbitrary place at arbitrary times irrespective of the impact on productivity. This is pretty disastrous management. People have to balance work with their life, but the latter always take priority. Numerous studies highlight the importance of flexibility and the benefits of WFH in productivity and retaining good employees.

The person may well not be appropriately dedicating enough effort for the expected renumeration, but that has to be judged objectively. You seemed to have formed a massive personal grudge, which is going to risk an unfair dismissal claim.

Soldato
OP
Am I going mad, or is everyone drunk because it’s Friday evening? This is not my employee, I don’t work with them. It’s about a new starter with a bad attitude. Someone who by all accounts has accepted a job under very clear requirements - of which they have spent most of their time in the first few weeks wriggling out of :confused:

The size if the company is pretty irrelevant.
It is if you’re talking about changing policy which is what this new employee has suggested on multiple occasions, such as days in the office, start time, end time, long-term remote work allowance, moving to a different global office.

Honestly this forum sometime is bizarre :D

Soldato
The worrying part is you haven't seemingly mentioned at all their ability to delivery results on time, which is about the only thing that matters. You are hung up on the requirement for someone to be at an arbitrary place at arbitrary times irrespective of the impact on productivity. This is pretty disastrous management. People have to balance work with their life, but the latter always take priority. Numerous studies highlight the importance of flexibility and the benefits of WFH in productivity and retaining good employees.

The person may well not be appropriately dedicating enough effort for the expected renumeration, but that has to be judged objectively. You seemed to have formed a massive personal grudge, which is going to risk an unfair dismissal claim.

In an ideal world yeah, but realistically, companies can still dictate that you be in N days a week and between the hours and X and Y. It's more common than you think.

Last edited:
Soldato
The funny thing about being in the office is that whilst team building can improve, getting actual work done is a lot harder, someone brings up a topic to talk about, something happens outside/inside the office, someone brings in food etc, this probably takes up 20-30% of the day?

Soldato
Am I going mad, or is everyone drunk because it’s Friday evening? This is not my employee, I don’t work with them. It’s about a new starter with a bad attitude. Someone who by all accounts has accepted a job under very clear requirements - of which they have spent most of their time in the first few weeks wriggling out of :confused:

It is if you’re talking about changing policy which is what this new employee has suggested on multiple occasions, such as days in the office, start time, end time, long-term remote work allowance, moving to a different global office.

Honestly this forum sometime is bizarre :D
Bad attitude cause they don't work hours they aren't contracted to and don't eat lunch at desk. Lawls

Man of Honour
In an ideal world yeah, but realistically, companies can still dictate that you be in N days a week and between the hours and X and Y. It's more common than you think.

Yup you have to maintain a certain amount of structure and disciple as a business or it becomes an unmanageable mess with people taking advantage.

Soldato
Yup you have to maintain a certain amount of structure and disciple as a business or it becomes an unmanageable mess with people taking advantage.
Especially when kids are involved. Lockdown was different but WFH isn't an excuse to skip paying childcare etc.

Soldato
OP
Never seen such a wannabe boomer. Please tell me you are over 50
I wish I was. I’d be rich and have no mortgage, right ;)
The funny thing about being in the office is that whilst team building can improve, getting actual work done is a lot harder, someone brings up a topic to talk about, something happens outside/inside the office, someone brings in food etc, this probably takes up 20-30% of the day?
True. But I’m a fan of working in the office. It’s quicker to go and find people to ask quick questions, get answers, get on with your day. Actually collaborate. Rather than having to find a slot in someone’s full calendar to book a slot in two days time, or pester them on Teams. If y’all want to be worker drones that don’t actually speak to anyone all day then fine, I find that incredibly boring!
In the old days everyone went to the pub lunchtime friday and didn't get back to the office until monday morning. None of this lightweight asking HR permission rubbish :D
Ok boomer ;)

Man of Honour
I'm with Housey on this one. All the indicators from the start have been that they are going to be pain in the arse.

Unless the new starter is doing stuff like parting the red sea and turning water into wine, I'd be having maybe-this-isn't-the-right-place-for-you chats at this point

Back
Top Bottom