Password managers

Associate
Ok, so I exported my Lasspass data and imported it into Bitwarden free account all fine. Turned off my Lastpass extension on Chrome and installed the bitwarden extension. So, any next steps? Delete Lastpass account is it, in order to fully remove my data from them? Anything else?

Soldato
I know now I’m going to get some abuse but what’s wrong with google?

Genuine question as that’s what I use
While it works with everything on Android phones, on desktop you're locked to Chrome. If you want to try another browser then you'll have to transfer over to that browser's inbuilt password manager.

There's also Google Authenticator's extremely basic backup system, if you use them for 2FA. With other alternatives such as Bitwarden I found it's easier to transfer the codes over when upgrading phones. Google I had to manually disable 2FA on each site then reenable on the new phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bitwarden here.

I just used Firefox's built-in password manager with a master password, but I don't sync my settings etc with a Firefox account.

Suits me into the ground as it does what I want.
I use a firefox account so my bookmarks are synced on both my desktop pc and laptop... I also have my documents and pictures folders on OneDrive so all my files are synced between the 2 devices aswel.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Have you tried it?

Yes, and while its a little barebones at the moment, as a purely "I remember passwords" manager, it seems to work well, its correctly picking up logins, correctly autofilling, and the user experience is quite slick.

Certainly prefer whats there over bitwarden right now and will test it for a week or so but imagine I will switch to it permanantly soon and use it as an excuse to update all my passwords everywhere.

Also, its 1 euro a month forever if you sign up now... I mean thats not even worth considering imho, just instasignup.

Soldato
Protonpass is now available for general release:

Very good to have another open source option, and pricing is also close to Bitwarden Premium (a lot less expensive than Dashlane/1password/etc).

Soldato
Also, its 1 euro a month forever if you sign up now... I mean thats not even worth considering imho, just instasignup.

Thanks for pointing that out, that’s worth a punt for a year to give it a test to compare against Bitwarden.

If the 2FA management is good I may keep both and migrate all my 2FA codes from Authy away to one and keep the other for passwords.

Soldato
Protonpass is now available for general release:

I'm a visionary plan member for ProtonMail, so I get ProtonPass for free. I'm curious about switching to it from Bitwarden. It would be good to see a YouTube video reviewing it before I make the move.

Soldato
Don't use any thing that uses cloud syncing and you're be free of most issues.

Personally I use KeePassXC.

Offline is always the safest.
Bitwarden/Vaultwarden have both. Every device keeps its own copy of the database locally, and they're kept in sync in real time using websocket/push across devices. If one device or the server ever goes down, every other device has a full local offline backup, as well as the ability to export an encrypted (or plaintext, if you wish) copy of the database. It's as safe as local storage, but with built in multiple offsite redundancy.

My own Vaultwarden server takes hourly snapshots and backs up the encrypted vault in a further encrypted (and hashed and salted) crypt in one local and two separate offsite locations. It's all transparent/painless to me, but literally half a dozen devices and three buildings in three different countries would have to blow up at the same time for it to ever be an issue... in which case, I have a cold backup in storage elsewhere. However, if that's already happened I probably have much bigger issues to worry about. :cry:

Sgarrista
Commissario
Have you tried it?

So a couple of weeks in to using it now and ive completely ditched lasspass.

Does it lack some features other options have? Yes.

Has it made a difference to how I use it? Very slightly.

But for my use case of, "here make me a password and remember it, then autofill it when I come back" then its lovely, and the general user interface and "basicness" of it does exactly what I need it so.

Associate
Anyone else getting lots of failed login notifications to Bitwarden recently?

Additional security has been placed on your Bitwarden account.
We've detected several failed attempts to log into your Bitwarden account. Future login attempts for your account will be protected by a captcha.
Account: ...
IP Address: ...
If this was you, you can remove the captcha requirement by successfully logging in.
If this was not you, don't worry. The login attempt was not successful and your account has been given additional protection.

Has happened multiple times a day for the last few weeks.

Permabanned
Issue with the latest update for the browser extension in Edge this morning, looking on the subreddit seems to be a common issue that is stopping it working correctly :(

Works fine in Firefox

Github issue link: https://github.com/bitwarden/clients/issues/5807

Thanks for the heads up, won't update until fix is released. Not sure if this is Vaultwarden or Bitwarden it affects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom