Password managers

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up, won't update until fix is released. Not sure if this is Vaultwarden or Bitwarden it affects.
Closing this now, as 2023.7.1 has been released and the community has reported it's resolved the issue.

For anyone curious about the cause:

• A manifest file, with the wrong manifest version, was uploaded to the MS Edge store, and only there. All other browser stores have the correct version and are being rolled out as planned. Bitwarden has taken steps to avoid this from happening in the future.

Associate
Always surprised to to see the lack of RoboForm password manager getting recommended, been using them for an extremely long time, must be 10+ years by now, never had a problem with them. Fills in sites with my info really well and reliably whenever I use it, works great on Windows, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, and all changes are synced between all devices seamlessly.

Soldato
Bitwarden have now spun up EU instances, you have to create a new account on the EU site: https://vault.bitwarden.eu/#/login then import your vault from your US account and can delete your US account after. Comment from dwbitw from their subreddit:

Pinning this for reference: https://bitwarden.com/help/server-geographies/

Please note that the Bitwarden approach to data protection and encryption ensures that existing US data storage remains GDPR compliant.

For those considering migration, please note:

Teams and Enterprise organizations are eligible for a transfer of subscription to the recently launched EU cloud. Both cloud servers operate exactly the same, are protected by the same policies, and are upheld to the same security and compliance standards.
For Premium individuals and Families organizations, if time is remaining on your subscription, we recommend migrating at the end of your subscription period and launching a new account and subscription on the cloud of your choice.
For those providing feedback on the process, rest assured this will be passed along to the team.

Straight forward to do and now running a EU instance.

Soldato
I've been trying out ProtonPass on the special offer with a few select sites. So far it seems to work fine and has most of the features I'd required.

The one issue is sometimes emails are delayed by minutes to hours using their email alias tech which I'm guessing is based on their SimpleLogin service. Just now waiting on a cdkey email but their site is reporting Degraded Performance on SimpleLogin so god knows when it'll come through. Unless this gets better just can't recommend it for any time sensitive emails.

Permabanned
Lol, all this time I kept my passwords in the text document on my PC. I don't trust password managers, because they are likely easy to be hacked (at least that is what I think). I also thought that maybe Google password manager is better, but considering the events with AI stealing personal data I would not use it anymore.

Soldato
Lol, all this time I kept my passwords in the text document on my PC. I don't trust password managers, because they are likely easy to be hacked (at least that is what I think). I also thought that maybe Google password manager is better, but considering the events with AI stealing personal data I would not use it anymore.
It's fair enough if you don't want to use an online password manager, but storing your password in an unencrypted file isn't a good idea.

You could use KeePass to store your passwords in an encrypted format.

You need a backup in case your PC dies. Which is true of a text document, and also true of a KeePass database file.

You need to make sure your passwords aren't re-used across multiple services, and are decent length and complexity. Ideally your usernames and email addresses should also be unique.

Then you have an OK situation, but quite inconvenient if you have multiple devices.

Last edited:
Soldato

Security and convenience always go hand in hand. Increase one and it's going to negatively impact the other. It's about finding a good balance between the two for you as an indivudal. A good cloud based password manager such as 1Password, which requires at least two pieces of information to access your vault (Secret Key and Master Password), where you can also further add two-factor authentication to the process, you are in pretty good hands from a security perspective, and convenience remains at a perfectly acceptable level, in my opinion.

Man of Honour
This cannot be a serious post.

Soldato
This cannot be a serious post.

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm. I could bet that probably 90-95% of the public don't practice good password security.

More people are starting to use longer/complex passwords (more through being forced to by complexity requirements rather than choice), but then reuse that complex password across lots of sites.

Associate
I've been using Dashlane for a number of years now and never had any problems with it personally. I find it invaluable now and wouldn't go without it personally especially if you match it with a yubikey.

Soldato
I've got Proton Pass for free as I pay for Proton Mail for my email, but I'm pretty happy with Bitwarden Premium, and I'm not sure if any features should make me consider switching to Proton Pass.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I've been trying out ProtonPass on the special offer with a few select sites. So far it seems to work fine and has most of the features I'd required.

Ive completely switched to it now, and honestly im not missing any of the fluff the other managers had.

Permabanned
It's fair enough if you don't want to use an online password manager, but storing your password in an unencrypted file isn't a good idea.

You could use KeePass to store your passwords in an encrypted format.

You need a backup in case your PC dies. Which is true of a text document, and also true of a KeePass database file.

You need to make sure your passwords aren't re-used across multiple services, and are decent length and complexity. Ideally your usernames and email addresses should also be unique.

Then you have an OK situation, but quite inconvenient if you have multiple devices.
Thank you, this is a good advice! I will definetely feel more secure with KeePass, I will check it out.

I agree, that I made a few mistakes with storing my passwords in the text doc, so I will definitely work on that.

Back
Top Bottom