Pico 4 out soon?

Soldato
Sounds great, what sort of trouble was involved (minutes/hours ideally)?

Well it took me ages, but now I know what I'm doing it only takes like 30 seconds :cry:

You just download and install OpenXR Toolkit, then get the DLL files for Opencomposite. Copy the .dll file into the games folder and away you go.

AMS2 needs the 64bit .dll and like a plonker, I was using the 32bit one

Whilst in game, press CTRL+down (or whatever you set it to) to access the menu.

32bit dll - https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x86&branch=openxr
64bit dll - https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr

Last edited:
Associate
Well it took me ages, but now I know what I'm doing it only takes like 30 seconds :cry:

You just download and install OpenXR Toolkit, then get the DLL files for Opencomposite. Copy the .dll file into the games folder and away you go.

AMS2 needs the 64bit .dll and like a plonker, I was using the 32bit one

Whilst in game, press CTRL+down (or whatever you set it to) to access the menu.

32bit dll - https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x86&branch=openxr
64bit dll - https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr
Legend! Thanks for the guidance!

Soldato
Legend! Thanks for the guidance!

No worries, basically you need to find the original openvr_api.dll (rename it to something like .old) and then copy the new one in. Mine was in the x64 folder.

Then open the toolkit, look what the keys are set to, then during the game pull up the menu. If it appears, you know it's working.

In testing, the Nvidia NI scaling seems pretty decent, couldn't really tell any difference at 90% scaling. I had 40% sharpening added on.

Then I did a custom fov render, think it was 50% at 1/2 and 80% at 1/4. It really dropped my GPU load, and it looked almost the same as before.

Obviously I'd rather not do any of this, but if you are looking for extra headroom it's pretty great.

Last edited:
Associate
Wondering if anyone else grabbed a Pico 4 while on sale on Amazon UK? Mine (recevied late Feb) was from an earlier batch 10/2022 which has been rumoured to have poor lens distortion QC. Amazon no longer sell that unit, so I wonder if they were trying to dump some older stock...

I've had to send mine back as the distortion was making me nauseous even in standalone mode & without artificial locomotion. I could see the distortions quite easily in the home environment, just off centre in both L & R lenses, and it was surprisingly uncomfortable... I know this is off as I spent ~400 hours in my Vive and was literally never nauseous.

I'll re-purchase from a different place and see if I get a newer unit/a unit without lens distorption.

PS: I don't believe me mentioning Amazon here is breaking the rules as OCUK does not sell this headset and this is purely for "data gathering".

Last edited:
Underboss
I've got mine on launch day from the UK distributor

and I've had no problems

Since September my controllers are still on the original batteries

as i play mini golf, one controller is not used as much and ive only used 40% battery life and the other 50%, that's 6 months !

so another words i can get a year without changing batteries !

no idea what rechargeable will do, but that's impressive

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just had a go on the pico 4. It has noticeably clearer screen with a bigger sweetspot and very light in weight, but my god, that facial interface feels like they'd forgotten to fit a facial interface.

Soldato
Very good price, tempted to upgrade from my rift s...
That will quite the step up. Just make sure you have the hardware to run it, as the overhead from wireless impacts performance unless you have the GPU to negate it. So 3080 and upwards if you want to play FS2020 for example. Lighter stuff you can get away with a les powerful GPU.

Associate
I've had a Pico 4 before but am thinking about trying it again now that it's on offer with free games and there should be more content available.

AFAIK the free games are only for new Pico accounts with a new device is that right? If so does anyone know if it'll work of I just create a second account?

Soldato
I've had a Pico 4 before but am thinking about trying it again now that it's on offer with free games and there should be more content available.

AFAIK the free games are only for new Pico accounts with a new device is that right? If so does anyone know if it'll work of I just create a second account?

Probably better to create a new account if you really want the new games.

Associate
Does that definitely work though? If I create a new account under the same name just with a different email will it give me the games?

Soldato
Does that definitely work though? If I create a new account under the same name just with a different email will it give me the games?
I don't know if there's going to be anyone who's gone through all of that recently, and therefore be able to give you a definitive answer.. I'd assume it'd be OK.

Soldato
I'd be inclined to make a second account with a different name and email just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure what data they will match up to any previous accounts.

Underboss
i contacted VR Cover about a pico 4 facial interface (as i liked the Quest 2 version)
and there reply was "its being developed, we hope the product will be released soon in the coming weeks"

i will be buying one (as i hope its like the Quest 2 version) and im not getting a quest 3 this year , simply cant afford it

Soldato
i contacted VR Cover about a pico 4 facial interface (as i liked the Quest 2 version)
and there reply was "its being developed, we hope the product will be released soon in the coming weeks"

i will be buying one (as i hope its like the Quest 2 version) and im not getting a quest 3 this year , simply cant afford it

That's what they said to me before Christmas

Associate
OP
ah that's a pity (not being able to afford the Q3). i help fund my hmd purchases by selling the one's i'm replacing, have you not got a Q2 to sell? or sell the Pico just before Q3 launch?

Back
Top Bottom