Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
How's you various injuries @Martynt74 back to it now ?

I've been guilty of getting carried away during zone 2 runs and letting my ego get the better of me. Need to be more disciplined (but it's so cold - needs to warm himself up good )

Soldato
How's you various injuries @Martynt74 back to it now ?

I've been guilty of getting carried away during zone 2 runs and letting my ego get the better of me. Need to be more disciplined (but it's so cold - needs to warm himself up good )

No sadly not. I've been pretty useless over Christmas and put on a bit of weight which doesn't help, and then working in finance the month of January is always horrific so been working 14-15hr days which hasn't really allowed time to get out. I keep thinking i'll definitely go at dinner, then something comes up, then i just don't get chance in the evening.

Hoping that can improve as things are settling a little now.

Associate
My suggestion would be to try and take it easier. The time itself is relatively quick for someone starting and there's a risk of overdo-ing it too soon, especially if you're getting shin pain.

Try taking it a little slower and i'd try and structure in more walking breaks to lengthen the overall activity. So if you know you can run that 2.5km in 13 minutes, try running 1km, then walking 500m, then running again to total around 30 minutes. Just something to break it up and give yourself a break. That way you get used to being on your feet more and your legs should thank you for it. Then as you improve you just increase the running and reduce the walking until you get to a point you're running continuous for 30 minutes and beyond.

One of the biggest tips is just don't see walking as failure. Especially early on.
Appreciate the tips! After doing some more reading, I think it might be the beginning of shins splits. It doesn't hurt to walk or anything but if I tap my shins it feels like they are bruised so I will definitely try to take it a bit easier for now.

Soldato
No sadly not. I've been pretty useless over Christmas and put on a bit of weight which doesn't help, and then working in finance the month of January is always horrific so been working 14-15hr days which hasn't really allowed time to get out. I keep thinking i'll definitely go at dinner, then something comes up, then i just don't get chance in the evening.

Hoping that can improve as things are settling a little now.
Feel similar, i have had ankle issues (Tib post impingement post deltoid sprain according to the physio app) that have been on-going for a couple of months,thought it was getting better tried slow 13 min mile run and had to stop. No idea when i will get back running, luckily Lakeland trails have put my ultra entry back to next years so i am not pressured into rushing back.
I have found weight wise i have gone from around 13stone 5 up to 14stone 7 since stopping running so trying to really cut back on food.
Also having to work longer days to try recouping some of what was spent over xmas and the tax man robbing me (Child benefit tax). I just want to get back running and be in the routine of get up and get out, be happy even if it was 10 minutes a day at this point.
Appreciate the tips! After doing some more reading, I think it might be the beginning of shins splits. It doesn't hurt to walk or anything but if I tap my shins it feels like they are bruised so I will definitely try to take it a bit easier for now.
Its quick to get shin splints and long to get rid sometimes. just take it easy or you'll just end up with it re-occuring.

Soldato

One big thing for me when i started running and got shin splints was to run around 10 minutes, and then stop and really try and stretch the calves/shin muscles. It made a huge difference if i did that vs not doing it on a 30 minute run.

Not sure if it's just my body passing old age (37!), but everything just seems tight. I did a really easy 5.5 route the other night with loads of walking breaks and even when running was slow. However my quads just above the knees are in pieces. My quads never historically got tight. It feels like it's affecting my back and hamstrings too, even though i've been doing regular stretching/prehab type stuff.
I went to a physio last week about a calf issue, and he seemed in general shock at how tight everything was. I'm wondering if i need a regular massage for a few weeks just to loosen everything off!

Caporegime
OP
All done:
jdPHUhG.png

not quite sure about the differing distances but I finished 3rd overall.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the usual cliche, but with the new year I've decided I want to start running more and do a half marathon in 6 months. I've just completed my 3rd running session which involves 1 run around the block next to my house. It works out at bang on 2.5km, and my app says I've done it in 13 minutes with a 5.29 km time. Not a clue if that's any good but it's 30 seconds faster than my first run so I'm pretty pleased. The biggest issue I am struggling with is my shins pumping up mid run so I hope my legs will adapt over time.
I had this. Was fine after surgery on both shins :D

Soldato
I feel this. Weather is already picking up though :D

Weather here is always good :D

What a gorgeous day for a run. I hope everyone got out today :).

Yeah. Took the day off for time in lieu from year end.
Did 8 miles for the first time in as long as I can remember including around 2400ft ascent on some really technical stuff.
Sun was shining and it felt amazing. My foot held up and whilst fitness was lacking and I walked a lot I felt as happy as I’ve been in a long time.

Strava link with some photos

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Weather here is always good :D

Yeah. Took the day off for time in lieu from year end.
Did 8 miles for the first time in as long as I can remember including around 2400ft ascent on some really technical stuff.
Sun was shining and it felt amazing. My foot held up and whilst fitness was lacking and I walked a lot I felt as happy as I’ve been in a long time.

Strava link with some photos
I'm lucky in that I work optional Fridays - I was looking out of the window thinking "man it looks gorgeous out, wish I was running", so I did :p. Turned off the computer and threw my trainers on.

I hadn't actually looked at your location, that permanent? I am exceptionally jealous of where you are, and that run looks amazing. Wish I could do that every day! Congrats on the foot holding up, you must have felt incredible.

Soldato
Yeah. Moved over in October. We’ve just bought land in a nearby town to build so no sign of ever wanting to leave.
Yesterdays trails were probably a 5 minute drive which is a big factor in picking the area. Just the ability to get to those views from my front door rather than driving to the Lakes like I used to is amazing.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah. Moved over in October. We’ve just bought land in a nearby town to build so no sign of ever wanting to leave.
Yesterdays trails were probably a 5 minute drive which is a big factor in picking the area. Just the ability to get to those views from my front door rather than driving to the Lakes like I used to is amazing.
So training camp at yours when…?

Caporegime
OP
Funnily enough I keep joking with the wife that we should add some accommodation aimed at runners/cyclists.

Got a 40,000m2 plot with stunning views and brilliant trails/roads for both sports. I’m building a gym on site and throw a hot tub in and we have a winner!
I've discussed doing just that, and at great length, with a long time running partner of mine. One of those life dreams that'll never happen cause I've had kids :p.

Back
Top Bottom