Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I've started to try and get into running. I'm a cyclist so have a decent level of endurance, although I have some weight to lose, but I find that my knees just scream afterwards. I'm certain I'm doing too much, however from 0 to 6 miles/week over 3 runs and I'm in agony.... Bought new shoes. Some Hokas, which have way more cushioning than my Ons.
Any suggestions? Knees hurt going up and down stairs the most. Do I need to dial it back even more?

-> Get rid of Hokas, get some 0 drop shoes
-> Mid-foot strike
-> Increase cadence, reduce overall running pace
-> Start small, build up
-> Smaller stride length

There is no fast track to get through an injury - the quicker you try the worst it'll get.

I've had bad knees at various points through life and when I go back to these basics, I'm always able to get rid of the injury :)

Soldato
As a cyclist you likely have an inbalance between quads/hamstrings and it could just be that weakness of the hamstrings causing strain on the knee. As a cyclist i imagine you're not too heavy even if you believe you have some weight to lose and you shouldn't really be having pain based on the volume you're doing.

I wouldn't ditch the Hokas yet as per the above. Just try and stick to it, maybe try dropping to 2 runs/week with more rest inbetween and then see how you get on. Maybe also working on limiting running to a few hundred meters then having a walking break.

Have you any methods to record runs? If you've got decent fitness then there's a decent chance you're going out too quick. Try and make sure pace is slower than 10min/mile

hux

hux

Soldato
If your knees are playing up, it's usually because your quads aren't used to it. They love transferring any strain to your knees.

Just try going easy and gradually build things up, perhaps dial back the pace.

Associate
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I record my runs on Strava, and I'm comfortably under 10 min/miles so I'm likely going too fast.
I had read about the quad imbalance and that doesn't make a lot of sense given the riding I do.
In terms of weight I'm around 87kg @ 5' 8" as opposed to a cycling fit weight of 74-75kg.

I did a 2 mile run sunday with no adverse reaction so I'll run again probably tomorrow and do the same distance and see if I react. I do 2 hours of badminton on a thursday and can tell that my legs don't want to move during that session!

Soldato
Still not running at the moment, pretty depressing.
I've got private medical care now so at least i've got physio for my ankle so hopefully the pain will subside and it will strengthen.
Also got an infected toe which would have stopped me running if it wasn't for my ankle.

Soldato
It's worth trying one of those calorie calculator tools. I aim for ~1500kcal/day and also do very little on a regular day (190cm and 95kg with it set for maximum 2lb/week loss). However if i run/cycle then i'll add the calories back on. I don't think i could run 5 days a week without eating calories back as assuming you burn 400kcal per run. You'd be putting your body into starvation mode.

I'd say it's well worth having a few days eating higher calories and then drop back again after and you should see a drop again. The body is great at adapting. Same as you could probably eat 3000kcal a day and get to a point where you don't put weight on.
Just to follow up on this, still on the same diet I was on, losing weight although it's incredibly slow progress now, maybe 100g or less a week but it's going down running 5k 5 days a week and I'm not feeling any ill effects from it so must be okay for my body

Last edited:
Soldato
I've previously posted in here about goals, but decided to create a single thread to make it easier to track

Soldato
Guess need to get more serious and structured with my running this year, been way too sporadic but somehow got a little faster on 5k.

Soldato
I've previously posted in here about goals, but decided to create a single thread to make it easier to track

I was just going to ask in this thread. Cheers

Associate
Has anyone used a paid for training app like Runna or Coopah? Not sure if they would be worth the cost when training for a marathon, or just stick to Garmin suggested workouts?

Soldato
Has anyone used a paid for training app like Runna or Coopah? Not sure if they would be worth the cost when training for a marathon, or just stick to Garmin suggested workouts?

I've not used one of those apps, but i did pay £40/mth for a running coach (https://fellrunningguide.co.uk/). About the cheapest i could find for what i needed. I saw good benefits from it when training for my first Ultra.

I did also sign up for this https://www.ultratrailcoaching.com/ which i think is based on AI style things but with input from 2 incredibly elite Ultrarunners. Responses were quick for any emails and i really enjoyed the platform, however it co-incided with my injury and i never quite got the benefit. Have always kept it bookmarked for future use if i ever get back to being able to run properly.

Caporegime
OP
Anyone else doing the virtual Spine? Not going to pay the sorts of monies involved to do the official race, nor could I finish it :p, but I entered the virtual race with a friend which is the equivalent distance (268 miles), but over January rather than week the race gives you. Its an average of 10 miles a day, but since I can't run every day due to family commitments, I am having to get in what I can when I can, plus I've had this week off work :D.

Ironically, on day 6, I'm just about where my wife was born!
c2ylt1B.png

I expect to tail off with returning to work and I'm still not sure I can finish it - the time rather than the distance is what worries me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else doing the virtual Spine? Not going to pay the sorts of monies involved to do the official race, nor could I finish it :p, but I entered the virtual race with a friend which is the equivalent distance (268 miles), but over January rather than week the race gives you. Its an average of 10 miles a day, but since I can't run every day due to family commitments, I am having to get in what I can when I can, plus I've had this week off work :D.

Ironically, on day 6, I'm just about where my wife was born!
c2ylt1B.png

I expect to tail off with returning to work and I'm still not sure I can finish it - the time rather than the distance is what worries me.

That’d be a heck of an achievement. My best month was around 170 and that felt tough. Doesn’t help I’ve always been slow though!

Got my first run today in weeks. Man the increased weight and fitness loss has made a big impact :(

Caporegime
OP
That’d be a heck of an achievement. My best month was around 170 and that felt tough. Doesn’t help I’ve always been slow though!
I'm ticking over nicely, maintaining a good daily average at the moment. I passed the 100 mile mark yesterday :).
Got my first run today in weeks. Man the increased weight and fitness loss has made a big impact :(
Good luck with it - take it slowly :).

Associate
There seem to be a few discussions at work around us all starting again, so I may re-appear in here if my body decides to allow me to take part. Otherwise it is rowing machine (With no computer on it, as it appears to have broken :-/ ) or stationary bike for the foreseeable future.

Associate
It's the usual cliche, but with the new year I've decided I want to start running more and do a half marathon in 6 months. I've just completed my 3rd running session which involves 1 run around the block next to my house. It works out at bang on 2.5km, and my app says I've done it in 13 minutes with a 5.29 km time. Not a clue if that's any good but it's 30 seconds faster than my first run so I'm pretty pleased. The biggest issue I am struggling with is my shins pumping up mid run so I hope my legs will adapt over time.

Last edited:
Soldato
As some of you know had bad IT band lasting several months. Slowly improving and have been adding mileage.

I got a PB of 26 mins 30s on a 5k. Happy with it, hoping I can get under 25 mins. The hip tends to start irritating at about 6km. I'm limited for time so running once a week. Need the longer and warmer days again to get an extra run in midweek.

Interestingly, my physio used IR light therapy on my hip and leg. The other name for it is photobiomodulation and low level light therapy. Been reading a papers around it - lots of evidence. I've had good results and considering getting a small handheld unit for home. Anyone got one of these?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the usual cliche, but with the new year I've decided I want to start running more and do a half marathon in 6 months. I've just completed my 3rd running session which involves 1 run around the block next to my house. It works out at bang on 2.5km, and my app says I've done it in 13 minutes with a 5.29 km time. Not a clue if that's any good but it's 30 seconds faster than my first run so I'm pretty pleased. The biggest issue I am struggling with is my shins pumping up mid run so I hope my legs will adapt over time.

My suggestion would be to try and take it easier. The time itself is relatively quick for someone starting and there's a risk of overdo-ing it too soon, especially if you're getting shin pain.

Try taking it a little slower and i'd try and structure in more walking breaks to lengthen the overall activity. So if you know you can run that 2.5km in 13 minutes, try running 1km, then walking 500m, then running again to total around 30 minutes. Just something to break it up and give yourself a break. That way you get used to being on your feet more and your legs should thank you for it. Then as you improve you just increase the running and reduce the walking until you get to a point you're running continuous for 30 minutes and beyond.

One of the biggest tips is just don't see walking as failure. Especially early on.

@Buddy - Great to see some recovery there pal. I can't remember if i tried the light therapy device, i think i bought one but sent it back. Same with a Shockwave device. From all i could find after purchase they're nowhere near the professional units and the shockwave device i bought seemed almost dangerous and shockingly loud!
Because i love a gadget, i keep finding myself drawn to these things https://arcmicrotech.com/arc4health/, although no idea if they actually work.

I keep banging on about it, but try the Knees over toes guy program, it feels like it's been helping me with general leg strength/flexibility and i've certainly not been too strict with missing the odd session.

Back
Top Bottom