Post Your Garden!

Soldato
Rich I feel exactly that, overwhelmed and can confirm, it's about an hour with a normal mower to do the bit you can see.
Welshman I really don't want to sell any of it, I do like the idea of making the bottom into a hidden forest for the kids.
A pond I'd not thought about, maybe a little dangerous with the kids though.

Soldato
Rich I feel exactly that, overwhelmed and can confirm, it's about an hour with a normal mower to do the bit you can see.
Welshman I really don't want to sell any of it, I do like the idea of making the bottom into a hidden forest for the kids.
A pond I'd not thought about, maybe a little dangerous with the kids though.

@Welshman had a good idea regarding trees - your kids can enjoy picking them

APPLE - Something on either an M26 Root stock or MM106 Root stock will keep them to a good size:
  • M26 - around 2.5M high with a 2.5-3m spread (after 10 year old)
  • MM106 - around 3.5M high with a 3.5-4m spread (after 10 year old)

PEAR - Quince A root stock will give you 3-4.5m trees

There are a few guides online to get you started. The only thing to bear in mind is choosing your cultivar wisely.

I went for Red Falstaff (apple) and Concorde (Pear) but that was simply due to me not having a lot of space so couldn’t fit 2 of each to allow pollination (the 2 mentioned are self-fertile so don’t need another tree close by in the same pollination group). My space is limited to the point I had to go for “patio” size trees (M27 and Quince C respectively) so they will get to around 2M high and spread each. Mine are also growing in containers (pots) which I have put on wheels to allow moving them around e.g. I have wheeled them against the house for Winter protection.

Again – Wildflowers can be really nice once established (around 2-3 years). They don’t even take much work and, once established, generally take care of themselves so perhaps look at putting an area of your garden to that and sow wildflower seeds. One to two cuts a year is all that’s needed and its great for wildlife.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jon as much as I'd like a little track for go karts or pit bikes, I don't think the wife would go for it lol.

I've been looking into the wild flowers tonight, I'm a complete novice to gardening beyond simply mowing it, but these certainly seem feasible.

Trying to find a area suited to it, would be much easier with the bottom part cleared and I can see exactly what I'm dealing with then.

It's exciting that there's so much potential here for sure and I'm eager to learn and see what can be done.

I also really like the idea of the kids picking fresh fruit from trees so I'll look into that too.

Soldato
Has anyone considered the Ryobi 36v mower? I am a bit torn as I was about to place the order but realised it wasn't brushless. So they do an 18v brushless or a 36v non-brushless... not sure it matters massively but given its £400 and unlikely to used for a fair while, holding off a bit..

Soldato
Has anyone considered the Ryobi 36v mower? I am a bit torn as I was about to place the order but realised it wasn't brushless. So they do an 18v brushless or a 36v non-brushless... not sure it matters massively but given its £400 and unlikely to used for a fair while, holding off a bit..
I use the makita 430 mower (2x18v batteries and it's good.. Mind you was 200 quid rather than 400!). Generally makita stuff better than ryobi too

Soldato
I use the makita 430 mower (2x18v batteries and it's good.. Mind you was 200 quid rather than 400!). Generally makita stuff better than ryobi too
I think you said this before and I immediately discounted it as it was £400, but the Makita actually includes 2 batteries at that price!

It doesn't include a strimmer but yeah, I rate the Makita stuff 10x over the Ryobi and it opens another ecosystem to me... hmm.

Soldato
I think you said this before and I immediately discounted it as it was £400, but the Makita actually includes 2 batteries at that price!

It doesn't include a strimmer but yeah, I rate the Makita stuff 10x over the Ryobi and it opens another ecosystem to me... hmm.
Think it can be had for like 200 for bare unit and use a battery adaptor....
I'd wait till black Friday

Caporegime
Mine this morning. Nice peaceful neighbourhood. The ones to our left don't like maintaining their fence though, so we're plugging it with hedges :p.

Nld1Qkyh.jpg

Soldato
The birds are keeping me poor of late.
They're going through this lot + a box of suet pellets a month..

GqPumIf.jpg

The Starlings are particularly greedy, but occasionally leave some for the T its, Finches etc..
(apologies for the phone pics)

SsJfoHn.jpg

hNkdyQm.jpg

ezotG03.jpg

and a super potato pic through the fly screen/window of a very timid woodpecker..

PS6EksI.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The birds are keeping me poor of late.
They're going through this lot + a box of suet pellets a month..

GqPumIf.jpg

The Starlings are particularly greedy, but occasionally leave some for the T its, Finches etc..
(apologies for the phone pics)

SsJfoHn.jpg

hNkdyQm.jpg

ezotG03.jpg

and a super potato pic through the fly screen/window of a very timid woodpecker..

PS6EksI.jpg
Like!

Caporegime
Been AWOL from the forums for a year or so, but this year spent far too much getting a nice deck built down the side of the house, which has transformed a previously unusable area (heavily sloped, never got enough direct sunlight to keep the grass truly nice, etc) into a great area to sit with a drink in the shade and watch the kids play in the main part of the garden.

img_2115.jpg

img_2119.jpg

img_2123.jpg

Associate
Been AWOL from the forums for a year or so, but this year spent far too much getting a nice deck built down the side of the house, which has transformed a previously unusable area (heavily sloped, never got enough direct sunlight to keep the grass truly nice, etc) into a great area to sit with a drink in the shade and watch the kids play in the main part of the garden.

img_2115.jpg

img_2119.jpg

img_2123.jpg
Looks nice but watch it doesn’t become an ice rink ;)

Soldato
Any ideas on fox deterrents? Got one that loves to dig the front garden bedding and make a right mess. Doubt council will care to do anything about it.
What even could they do?

Anyway, I gave limited experience of success with the sonic repeller things. We regularly have a family of them in an overgrown garden next door and they were constantly in my garden, I got a couple of them and haven't seen them in since.

Soldato

img_2115.jpg

I am going to be THAT guy - your decking is on upside down.

Back
Top Bottom