Post Your Garden!

Soldato
We had foxes in our garden last winter. They were lovely animals, never caused any harm.

We were very sad when we found one dead in our bushes. It must have been poisoned. Haven't seen any since.

Man of Honour
if we're posting about garden visitors, we have a trail cam on our tiny pebble pond (mostly there to give a local water source to the bees and wildlife) and caught this guy visiting:

os67uE4.png

Soldato
Wow, I never knew that. I've owned a house a million years ago with it upside down. It feels logical, like it's some sort of grip. Not that it ever worked, cold and wet it was a death trap either way.

Personally hate decking, it's a pain to clean, easy to go mossy etc and yeah, a deathtrap when wet with the added bonus of splinters if.you have kids running around on it.

Soldato
Wow, I never knew that. I've owned a house a million years ago with it upside down. It feels logical, like it's some sort of grip. Not that it ever worked, cold and wet it was a death trap either way.

Personally hate decking, it's a pain to clean, easy to go mossy etc and yeah, a deathtrap when wet with the added bonus of splinters if.you have kids running around on it.
Now you can be that guy:
"Ya deckings upside down"
"Road tax doesn't exist!11"
etc
:D

Soldato
Is this a joke or serious? I know nothing about decking but want to avoid making such a heinous error in future.

Serious. The groves are for ventilation on the underside.

I have no experience of decking the right way round (grooves on bottom) to determine if having it smooth side up lessens this issue but groove side up helps trap water and makes the moss/mildew/deathtrap-ness worse.

Soldato
I have no experience of decking the right way round (grooves on bottom) to determine if having it smooth side up lessens this issue but groove side up helps trap water and makes the moss/mildew/deathtrap-ness worse.
A much better point than the ventilation one to be fair!

Soldato
Now you can be that guy:
"Ya deckings upside down"
"Road tax doesn't exist!11"
etc
:D
Lol, I am a freeman of the land you can't tell me how to fit my decking, no I don't have to have a TV licence etc etc.

Seriously though even the smaller surface area for the underneath to discourage rot etc makes perfect sense now I think about it.

Caporegime
Is this a joke or serious? I know nothing about decking but want to avoid making such a heinous error in future.

tldr; it depends, confirm with supplier.

Basically decking has always had grooves in - at some point in time in the UK someone thought "this decking looks so much nicer with the grooves on the top" and "this might actually not be as slippy, because of course I haven't maintained my wood over the years, as the grooves will give extra friction".

In theory all decking should have grooves on at least one side - as the grooves do aid in ventilation, reduce moisture retention etc.

But not being a master in identifying wood I don't know the scientific properties of wood to say if grooves width and spacing has a huge impact on the life span on the board.

J5QdYyN.jpg

General rules would be;

If you have decking which has grooves on one side and a flat smooth surface on the other than it's smooth side up.

If you have decking with has grooves on one side and a flat rough surface on the other then it's grooves side up - who would want to walk on a rough splintery surface. But being flat side down it is 100% not going to last as long as a grooved side down board and would need treating before installing.

If you have decking with grooves (reeded, grooves, ribbed) on both sides then look for any manfuacturing markings / stamps - if there are then that side is down. If there are no obvious markings / stamps (they'll probably on the ends of the board) then just do what ever you want.

Caporegime
Grooves up in this case as they act as a channel to run water away (erected with a gradual slope away from the house).

Supplier was also adamant that these boards were meant for goove up installation.

The ventilation argument wouldn’t make any sense, the deck is at least 6” from the floor, rising to over 3’ at the fence end!

Back
Top Bottom