Post Your Garden!

Soldato
Chaps,

I really need some "direct" green finger advice here! I have this idea of sorting out all of my beds (16m length). Today I made a crack at clearing out about 9 large buckets of ivy and lose junk on top. I am left with this:

FzYRhTh.jpg

I am desperately trying to save the hedge (left hand side) as I love the idea of someone planting it a tonne of years ago. It is a bit sparse at the bottom but since removing a lot of the ivy that was strangling it, it seems to be doing well at the top.

The area I cleared around the trees is wet --- it is mostly clay but there is a decent amount of top soil.

The bush on the right is a type of ivy too I am told, but it seems to be quite pleasant looking and self-contained.

Qs - What do I do with this space now?
1. Can I just bark all over the bare soil, and it'll be weed free?
2. Can I do something to save the hedge further? Feed it or something? It seems sturdy but it isn't thriving.
3. Is there a bush or something best suited to this shaded but moist area?
4. The turf ends in "moss". Do I just overseed?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll just say in my experience of barking, birds threw it all over the place and I was forever clearing it up. You'd also need a membrane and no it doesn't guarantee being weed free.

Soldato
Chaps,

I really need some "direct" green finger advice here! I have this idea of sorting out all of my beds (16m length). Today I made a crack at clearing out about 9 large buckets of ivy and lose junk on top. I am left with this:

FzYRhTh.jpg

I am desperately trying to save the hedge (left hand side) as I love the idea of someone planting it a tonne of years ago. It is a bit sparse at the bottom but since removing a lot of the ivy that was strangling it, it seems to be doing well at the top.

The area I cleared around the trees is wet --- it is mostly clay but there is a decent amount of top soil.

The bush on the right is a type of ivy too I am told, but it seems to be quite pleasant looking and self-contained.

2. Can I do something to save the hedge further? Feed it or something? It seems sturdy but it isn't thriving.

Many thanks!

Soldato
I'll just say in my experience of barking, birds threw it all over the place and I was forever clearing it up. You'd also need a membrane and no it doesn't guarantee being weed free.
What do you use instead?

I'm tempted to plant laurel or something and just hide the ground...

Haha check my other thread - I am building a 6x4m summer house and already have a 13m x 3m workshop. If I add one more out building I'm going to get shot :cry:

Soldato
My bush on this side went in to shock years ago and has actually been strengthened by the ivy, also seating area , mini pond maybe (mines on other side)
Whoops bad screenshot

Screenshot-2024-02-03-22-30-16-69-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Ponds in that corner proper mini though

Screenshot-2024-02-04-09-57-14-98-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Or BBQ area
Screenshot-2024-02-04-10-18-12-22-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime

My take:

1. I wouldn't bother as bark is a) a pain as it goes everywhere b) quite expensive and c) won't stop weeds. For weed free it's constant maintenance, i.e. a mixture of chemicals and turning it over with a fork.

2. I would just see how it goes now you've removed all the stuff around it and it has more light and water. If it still doesn't thrive you can then try something else but I would keep it as simple as possible to begin with.

3. You could use laurel as it's hardy and grows quickly. Keep on top of it if so.

4. For moss, it's a mixture of iron sulphate to kill the moss and an electric rake / scarifier to remove the dead moss. You can then top dress and overseed.

Soldato
What do you use instead?

I'm tempted to plant laurel or something and just hide the ground...

I moved :)

But before then I took up all the bark off the membrane and put gravel down but the garden lent itself well to that. To be fair the birds were tossing bark onto gravel which made it particularly messy, if it was onto grass it might not be so bad. But it doesn't stop weeds anyway.

Soldato
We are currently in the middle of having a lot of work done both front and back. All the old decking ripped up, patio and paths put in and a new lawn. Also conifers cut right back. Some extra block paving round the front too. Will post some pics when done :) Costing 8.5k though :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So glad to be rid of the minging old decking :p When it was pulled up, a swarm of mice, frogs and toads exited hastily. We also had a swarm of bluebottles descend last summer and I'm strongly suspicious of the decking being the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom