Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
I was not going to post this yet but can't resist, recent purchase from eBay.

Yamaha tape deck, these were produced from 1980 - 1981 only, this one is cosmetically unmarked. Has a metal brushed front and similar design influence to the A-S1200 below. The record level dials are metal and similar feel and resistance as the volume control on the A-S1200. One of the bulbs is out on the right VU meter, it's had new belts but it still needs some servicing. I've been playing some old chrome tapes and it's surprisingly good for a 2 head unit. Don't think it will be used to much but still something cool to have.

AP1GczNlLKJiD3C--UFDtLxu5Yu6z6iGvKtFmrpVazDdt37etbRg-iheuc0twT3zH1NwJFMoamWein0hHK8XLD-SCsyJVdwEbXfFV1XIeUUl0XZBKOhuam6BtpAy9Tyl8Oaa8-Hhodo0Z3iO863qjGWBaKOm=w1600-h1200-s-no

Last edited:
Soldato
Purchased a Yamaha A-S1200 last week. The A-S1200 is Yamaha's entry level into their higher tier amplifiers, it's still running in, however the sound is more warm / smooth, similar to older amps of the past. Considered the A-S2200, however after using for a week i'm very happy and no regrets buying this.

AP1GczOYBm7caNTAcy43-jQOwkmsZTDy0qHMyj0i7K3OG49wWfD8VRtdT6Wa8pBOwX-Dwt8WLqPuUdrHBzf7UJIIJpbvu30cfaoFWPeBzYyGuQVaGNwsqIARpFjWdXPY1K_qD7W1vbEB2XErmodQL3fXhS3V=w1187-h890-s-no-gm

Nice, i really wanted the S-1100 but settled for the S-801. Still a great amp but not on the level of the higher models.

Soldato
Nice, i really wanted the S-1100 but settled for the S-801. Still a great amp but not on the level of the higher models.

Yamaha make good gear, your S-801 will be good also. Over the a-s1200 apparently that's the best value of the higher end amps. The a-s1100 is ment to be very similar sounding to a-s1200, it's always worth to keep checking eBay for used items. My only small wish was getting the a-s2200 as this has balanced inputs and I'm currently looking for a Yamaha cd-s 2000 and this has balanced output.

On the a-s1200 is weakest part is the pre-amp, that said your still looking at spending closer to £1000 retail on a pre-amp to make it worth the trouble of bypassing the internal one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually sold the S-801 prior to moving to Spain as was massively cutting back on "stuff". I'm likely to go with the NAD C3050 SE when we get our house and stuff sorted and i can allocate money to a stereo. Used to love my old NAD C350 and the 3050 gets great reviews.

Soldato
I actually sold the S-801 prior to moving to Spain as was massively cutting back on "stuff". I'm likely to go with the NAD C3050 SE when we get our house and stuff sorted and i can allocate money to a stereo. Used to love my old NAD C350 and the 3050 gets great reviews.
The 3050 does look nice, on my shortlist. I've got my eye on the Advance Paris A10 at the moment which I may go and audition once my speakers arrive...and the Yamaha 1200 if I can.

Soldato
I now have this Yamaha CD-S2100 SACD player, it also doubles up as a DAC. It's discontinued and purchased it pre-owned from a Yamaha dealer.

It's very good indeed, sound is organic. I have to wonder if all CD players were like this would the vinyl revival have been so strong! This is likely the last ever CD player I'll buy.

AP1GczMNNm36zKkn5i2d1FGIYvnQIC5F8yglcHtcR31Qp-OI6FRCEeSP1PG6qdxeaiN9hcim6toz32ZEO7_ip2byexoEY2VBKfISrePPcQUTEXCDsYhIUHakQXjNZfwlcxkCtNwQTsoxa0zc93hbTNc3zf9s=w1600-h1200-s-no

Last edited:
Soldato
I now have this Yamaha CD-S2100 SACD player, it also doubles up as a DAC. It's discontinued and purchased it pre-owned from a Yamaha dealer.

It's very good indeed, sound is organic. I have to wonder if all CD players were like this would the vinyl revival have been so strong! This is likely the last ever CD player I'll buy.

AP1GczMNNm36zKkn5i2d1FGIYvnQIC5F8yglcHtcR31Qp-OI6FRCEeSP1PG6qdxeaiN9hcim6toz32ZEO7_ip2byexoEY2VBKfISrePPcQUTEXCDsYhIUHakQXjNZfwlcxkCtNwQTsoxa0zc93hbTNc3zf9s=w1600-h1200-s-no
Yamaha making some tidy kit these days. They've always snuck under the radar a bit.

I'm picking up a Naim CD5i at the weekend, guy on avforums is selling with a Nait 5i pretty cheap. I already have a Nait so will either use this one on my PC if I can find a way to fit it and my Quad 11Ls into my study, or sell it on, making the CD5i cost naff all.

Picked up my Naim gear pretty cheap. Kinda tempted to upgrade to their higher tier stuff with standalone PSUs, but I'll wait and see how the Nait copes with my new speakers which should arrive next week.

Soldato
Yamaha making some tidy kit these days. They've always snuck under the radar a bit.

I'm picking up a Naim CD5i at the weekend, guy on avforums is selling with a Nait 5i pretty cheap. I already have a Nait so will either use this one on my PC if I can find a way to fit it and my Quad 11Ls into my study, or sell it on, making the CD5i cost naff all.

Picked up my Naim gear pretty cheap. Kinda tempted to upgrade to their higher tier stuff with standalone PSUs, but I'll wait and see how the Nait copes with my new speakers which should arrive next week.

Check out Avondale Audio in Chesterfield. They make some brilliant Naim based psu’s

Soldato

Yamaha have always made good stuff, some of their vintage 70's amps and tuners are still highly regarded. Yamaha made some good turntables with the Yamaha GT range.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is likely the last ever CD player I'll buy.

This is also the last CD player i will ever buy. It's a Hegel Viking to replace my already very good Naim CD5 XS. It really had to be done as CD transports for the CD5 XS are no longer available.
The Viking is in a completely different league to the Naim and when you do a side to side comparison it's immediately obvious. It's designed from the ground up as a pure "Red Book" CD player and that's why it sounds so very special.

lV0JEhO.jpg

tWylu0G.jpg

Soldato
Well I just picked up the Naim gear, a Nait 5i and CD5i, for 525, both are mint. Didn't specify on the ad, but would have been a decent price for Mk1 versions but as I hoped, they are both Mk2 with the italic i. A steal. Probably list the Nait on MM soon.

Busy for a few hours before I can give the CD5i a spin sadly...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I just picked up the Naim gear, a Nait 5i and CD5i, for 525, both are mint. Didn't specify on the ad, but would have been a decent price for Mk1 versions but as I hoped, they are both Mk2 with the italic i. A steal. Probably list the Nait on MM soon.

What a bargain, I've no idea why people buy Hi-Fi new and this is coming from someone that used to run a Hi-Fi shop! :)

Soldato

Yep, that very much is a bargain. Years ago i also had a nait 5i (italic), just checked on the auction site and i sold it for £397.

Soldato
What a bargain, I've no idea why people buy Hi-Fi new and this is coming from someone that used to run a Hi-Fi shop! :)
I do tend to buy used, analogue hifi gear hasn't come along that far, still mostly a matter of hitting a price point, so you get loads more for your money used.

Although my outgoing Arcam CD62 I've owned since new, the CD5i is quite an upgrade, having a listening session atm.

Now just need these speakers to arrive!

Soldato
Although my outgoing Arcam CD62 I've owned since new, the CD5i is quite an upgrade, having a listening session atm.

Well that is a massive upgrade, I sold the CD62's new, you've done well having it that long if you bought it at launch!

I was looking at some used Naim kit the other day but it was down on the south coast and I'm in the Midlands, not sure if I can be bothered, may have been a different story it l of it were summer and sunny.

Back
Top Bottom