Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
Was rooting through a cupboard in the spare bedroom tonight to find a photo album, and completely forgot I had this (and a bunch of Arcam gear)..

tGfEP1J.jpg

I bought it (heavily modded) many years ago from one of the mods on AOS and fitted a Rega RB300 arm to it and enjoyed it, and then by luck found a SME 3009/S2 improved arm for £75 and chucked that on.
But almost immediately after that I got a good deal on my Pioneer PL71 which I bought due to the high praise from Richard Dunn (NVA) and have used it ever since.
It's a bit of a pain to set up being a suspended deck (and iirc it needs it) but I'm going to chuck a bit of love at it and see where it goes.
Please excuse the dust and cat hair.

Man of Honour
I bought it (heavily modded) many years ago from one of the mods on AOS and fitted a Rega RB300 arm to it and enjoyed it, and then by luck found a SME 3009/S2 improved arm for £75 and chucked that on.
But almost immediately after that I got a good deal on my Pioneer PL71 which I bought due to the high praise from Richard Dunn (NVA) and have used it ever since.
It's a bit of a pain to set up being a suspended deck (and iirc it needs it) but I'm going to chuck a bit of love at it and see where it goes.
Please excuse the dust and cat hair.
Great to see such an old classic deck, must be around forty years old. :) They are worth quite a bit restored.

Soldato
Got some new floorstand speakers on order from Richer Sounds. Triangle Borea BR08 in light oak. Haven't arrived yet but super excited for when they do to get them setup. Replacing the entry level Monitor Audio MR4's currently. Apparently they are easy enough to drive so the Denon AVR-X2400H should suffice (2ch 8ohm 95w?).

Associate
Got some new floorstand speakers on order from Richer Sounds. Triangle Borea BR08 in light oak. Haven't arrived yet but super excited for when they do to get them setup. Replacing the entry level Monitor Audio MR4's currently. Apparently they are easy enough to drive so the Denon AVR-X2400H should suffice (2ch 8ohm 95w?).
Love Triangle speakers and the Borea review well.

Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
Love Triangle speakers and the Borea review well.

Let us know how you get on.
Really pleased with them so far, the difference is night and day.

I've got them setup in a room that is totally not appropriate lol. Too small. But it is just temporary as we're planning on moving and they'll then hopefully go in a proper living room. So they are currently only 1.6m apart and they need to be at least 2m, and unless you sit in the center, if you move, you can hear the sound shifting (no longer stereo) so for the sound stage they do need to be spaced appropriately as per instructions. They are close to the wall but that doesn't seem to bother them they have no rear bass port.

I had to ditch the Audyssey settings on the Denon (haven't re-ran with the mic yet). It was using the reference(?) curve and I found with these speakers it was too bright top end (when watching TV not music and people were applauding in the crowd it hurt my ears). Mids were crystal clear and punchy. Bass was flat. So I turned that off and went back to simple Graphical EQ mode, and that fixed it. Loads of punchy bass. Highs roll off now and clapping or musical instruments such as trumpets, aren't piercing. Quality of the item is top notch they feel absolutely solid and the finish is perfect. I love the magnetic grilles.

This weekend I'm hoping to spend some more time streaming some Spotify through them and having a good listen. And also try a 4K film, I was thinking something like Top Gun 2 or Gurdians of the Galaxy (action / explosions / music mix). :)

Triangle-BR08-1.jpg

Triangle-BR08-2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

I've got them setup in a room that is totally not appropriate lol. Too small. But it is just temporary as we're planning on moving and they'll then hopefully go in a proper living room. So they are currently only 1.6m apart and they need to be at least 2m, and unless you sit in the center, if you move, you can hear the sound shifting (no longer stereo) so for the sound stage they do need to be spaced appropriately as per instructions. They are close to the wall but that doesn't seem to bother them they have no rear bass port.

I had to ditch the Audyssey settings on the Denon (haven't re-ran with the mic yet). It was using the reference(?) curve and I found with these speakers it was too bright top end (when watching TV not music and people were applauding in the crowd it hurt my ears). Mids were crystal clear and punchy. Bass was flat. So I turned that off and went back to simple Graphical EQ mode, and that fixed it. Loads of punchy bass. Highs roll off now and clapping or musical instruments such as trumpets, aren't piercing. Quality of the item is top notch they feel absolutely solid and the finish is perfect. I love the magnetic grilles.

This weekend I'm hoping to spend some more time streaming some Spotify through them and having a good listen. And also try a 4K film, I was thinking something like Top Gun 2 or Gurdians of the Galaxy (action / explosions / music mix). :)

Triangle-BR08-1.jpg

Triangle-BR08-2.jpg

Strange, Reference applies high frequency roll off.
Flat should be best

Good idea to use the room EQ app to adjust mid range compensation, disable correction past 300hz, I think you can adjust house curves also

Soldato
Strange, Reference applies high frequency roll off.
Flat should be best

Good idea to use the room EQ app to adjust mid range compensation, disable correction past 300hz, I think you can adjust house curves also
Yeah that's what it said on the Denon as well, rolls off high frequencies for movies. And it was obviously OK on the MR4's. Strange. But yeah I'll spend some time with it and run the EQ setup again when I get a mo. Apart from that all going well. :)

Associate

Triangle-BR08-1.jpg

Triangle-BR08-2.jpg
Glad you like em. I looked at them last year but towers are too big for my listening/office. I still went Triangle but with the smaller Comete 40th edition in Santos Rosewood.

Triangle say around an 100 hours for there speakers run in. During that time the highs should mellow but yours may be different being a soft dome versus horn loaded tweeter in the Comete.

Mine are hanging off a Cambridge CXA81 which has no tonal adjustments thankfully - what you see is what you get.

2mtr separation and the sound stage will open up. What’s the distance from the back wall to the speakers?

Keep the review coming.

Soldato
Glad you like em. I looked at them last year but towers are too big for my listening/office. I still went Triangle but with the smaller Comete 40th edition in Santos Rosewood.

Triangle say around an 100 hours for there speakers run in. During that time the highs should mellow but yours may be different being a soft dome versus horn loaded tweeter in the Comete.

Mine are hanging off a Cambridge CXA81 which has no tonal adjustments thankfully - what you see is what you get.

2mtr separation and the sound stage will open up. What’s the distance from the back wall to the speakers?

Keep the review coming.
Don't hate me - distance from back of wall is just 11cm (4.5").

I just had a look at the Comete 40th edition in Santos Rosewood. Ohh they look lovely! I wish I had that much money to spare lol.

But a few days ago I re-ran the EQ setup with the microphone into the front of the AV receiver. Moved it around as instructed and had it set to ear/listening height. Didn't expect much of a change, but, went through the 8 positions and accepted some of the defaults (Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume) at the end and oh boy, yeah, vastly improved from just using the basic EQ mode. Glad I spent the time and ran it again. My dad had heard the speakers before and after (he is an OAP and nearly stone deaf) and he instantly said the sound was so much better. Night and day.

I don't know how, but it appears to have opened up the sound stage without seperating the speakers further; I can walk in front and not hear the audio shift. It has returned the low down umph (yey!) for the bass which was lacking originally and the uncomfortable highs have gone. I did panic when it said the phase was out, but I double checked everything and hit "ignore". Apparently it can flag this incorrectly.

I tested streaming some stuff from spotify. Plonked myself right in the middle sweet spot, sat back, closed my eyes and let it rip. Brilliant. Every track that came with drums I noticed in particular were somehow brought to the fore. The drums punched through cleanly and with weight behind them, whilst vocals remained elevated and clear. I wonder if that is the cellulose paper woofer working its magic?

Played a mix of old and new and had a few goose bump moments; stuff ranging from Metallica - Lux Eterna / Metallica - Moth into Flame / Metallica - Atlas, Rise (for the drums), to Gary Moore - Still got the Blues (amazing guitar solo work), to Aerosmith - Dream On (cracking vocals and guitars), to Lindisfarne - Run for Home (love the warmth of this song with various stringed instruments and the sweet harmonies), to Led Zepllin - Rock and Roll (only way to listen to this is loud) and finally Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (who doesn't love a sax!).

Soldato

Speakers take time to run in, yes it's correct the highs will mellow. General rule is higher the quality longer they take to settle down!

I've very recently purchased some Fyne 502's there taking some time to settle, but slowly there improving.

Soldato
Interested in your thoughts of the Fyne’s?

There little fatiguing but slowly settling down, I have around 50 hours on them, hoping they settle down more. There very dynamic, and clear sounding, quite fast speaker also.

Compared to most regular home speakers there quite big, I have a good size room but these are on limit for room. There is a lot of sound pressure coming from these. I don't have the spikes on at the moment, the spikes Fyne include are fine, however the included spike feat are very tiny and need to source some others.

Very easy to drive, sensitivity is 91db. I think these will be very good, just need a little more running in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom