Premier League Fixtures - 16/17th August (Spoilers)

Soldato
As much as i agree you've gotta be delighted with a point i bet your slightly dissapointed that you didnt grab the best chance you'll ever have to be Utd at home?

Yeah I agree to a point. It's just our typical bad luck (or manyoo's classic good luck) that meant the one man who would have covered the goal they scored was limping off the pitch.

I agree with you about Zoggy. He's a good (albeit inconsistent) winger but he's not a fullback and he showed time and time again this afternoon that we can't rely on him in defence.

As for Jonas, they did say despite the number of games he's played he's only scored a hand-full of times so it's not surprising that he didn't look amazing in front of goal. I'm hoping our coaches can sort this out because he appears to be the kind of attacking winger us Magpies love to watch. Lets face it, if he can cut through the ManU defence the way he did today then he should be a real asset for us against other clubs.

Panzer

Caporegime
Joking about what? Ronaldo is a vital piece of the United jig-saw.

They're a different team without him in my opinion, he makes a huge difference. I don't think it's unfair to suggest that...

Suggesting we missed him but didn't miss any of the other players is more than a little unfair, especially Tevez who has been superb pre season.

Caporegime
Lets face it, if he can cut through the ManU defence the way he did today then he should be a real asset for us against other clubs.

He didn't cut through our defence. It was a big ball over the top with him running to retrieve it into the corners. He did nothing first half though, but second half he looked a lot quicker.

Permabanned
Nothing new weekend really, United where never going to be guns blazing, they looked poor for what was out and Newcastle where average.

Chelsea tactics look great, Deco has slotted in nicely, I cannot wait to watch them on Sunday they look like a very well gelled team already, hope we can get a point but we just need to get some goals scored, why Heskey is in the England team, he will only get injured.

Glad the football is back, the banter has began, funny how united fans moan after a few games, you cant win them all, 99 08 worst start the to the season but the most successful 2 seasons ever.

Soldato
Entertaining first half, I've been impressed with Gutierrez and Coloccini for Newcastle, both look like they'll be excellent signings.

Was thinking that. One of the commentators said that it was unusual for a foreign player to get stuck in and track back on his debut.

What a player Jonas is!!!

As well as Gutierrez i thought Guthrie looked pretty impressive too, think we let him go too cheap tbh.

Newcastle played pretty well, I was impressed by their new signings.

BBC said:
Impressive new signing Jonas Gutierrez

ESPN said:
The hosts' problems were at the back against a Newcastle side aided in no small part by the excellence of one of their Argentinian new boys Jonas Gutierrez.

SkySports said:
Man of the match: Jonas Gutierrez

Yeah, the guy with the ponytail.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He did well, I think people are going a little over the top though. He did skip past Rooney (not a massive achievement really) and I remember Vidic doing an excellent tackle on him in the second half. That being said his defensive work was very good. Oh and I remember him diving over in the penalty area :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Yeah, the guy with the ponytail.

Fair enough. I said he was decent second half.
He really was none existent in the first half though. The only major move he was involved in was where Vidic tracked back and made the tackle. Other than that it was just a lot of fast running.

As for Coloccini, he looked clumsy and passed us the ball so many times. He may come good over time, but for the first half we was poor, Taylor covered him a lot.

Each to their own. I think some people are easily pleased I guess.

Soldato
Onto the players...
Giggs was... Brilliant. Absolute class beyond everyone else today, his movement, touch and passing ran the show.

Ive entered an alternate universe it seems - bring back the real Nok :D

Rooney was abysmal (again), I swear he simply isn't good enough for us. People are trying to pin it on his illness. Before that it was his hip. Before that it was lack of match practice. Before that it was his broken foot. He couldn't pass a football to save his life today, his shooting as per usual wasn't up to par and he threw himself into a stupid tackle..

Oh no I havent - thats much more like it :)

Supposedly 33% of last seasons goals against Utd where headers - seems like the old problem hasnt been sorted yet - it did look like awful marking though, not really sure why with the people on the field at the time

At least we immediately hit back (and then lost Carrick and Giggs shortly after)

I remember Evra having a nightmare debut - Vidic wasnt that much better.

Will be great to have Tevez back for the Pompey game (we always seem to struggle at Fratton Park) but its the midfield which is really down to the bare bones - hopefully OH will be fit by then (unlikely from what I read though)

Soldato
As for Coloccini, he looked clumsy and passed us the ball so many times. He may come good over time, but for the first half we was poor, Taylor covered him a lot.

Each to their own. I think some people are easily pleased I guess.

Coloccini started off badly, after about twenty minutes I though we'd signed another Boumsong.

Gutierrez may have just been a lot of running but our team last year was completely lacking in pace, at least now we have a player who can power forward and get the whole team moving forward.

People may be easily pleased, true, but most of those comments are from non-Newcastle fans and none are from me.

Last edited:
Soldato
The result was purely down to starting with Giggs and Scholes in the same team, you might was well start with only 9 outfield players when you do this.

Scholes got beaten off the ball more than once, fluffed more than one chance to put Rooney clean through on goal, and Giggs did nothing but give the ball away.
Even so, we should have had Newcastle beaten out of sight in the first half, there were more than enough chances, shots blocks and saves.

Newcastle were not great, by any stretch of the imagination, Reading achieved the same thing last year and went down while we went on to win the two biggest club competitions in the world, so other than being no worse off than last year, there is nothing to moan about.

Don
Newcastle were not great, by any stretch of the imagination, Reading achieved the same thing last year and went down while we went on to win the two biggest club competitions in the world, so other than being no worse off than last year, there is nothing to moan about.

The difference with Reading and Newcastle games though Reading came with a game plan to purely defend defend defend, where Newcastle looked like they actually wanted to win the game. Newcastle rarely had to break into a sweat in defence.

I was a bit disapointed with Newcastle attacking, Milner and Duff rarely wanted to move at times and they reminded me of Arsenal just passing around at the edge of the box. Martins looked lively but as I said earlier, was too isolated at times, they need Owen and Viduka back asap and they should be finishing top 10.

Soldato
Newly promoted clubs normally start pretty well also. A lot are full of confidence and are unknown so haven't been found out tactically (although this doesn't normally take too long :p).

Back
Top Bottom