Project: Deuterium

Soldato
Search for 0000 wire wool and you'll find it. Less zeroes is course. Seems to be available at ScrewFix and the rainforest. Could be too fine but you can always go course if necessary. I used it on the varnished surface of a kitchen worktop to take the sheen off after it had dried without knackering the surface.

Associate
OP
Search for 0000 wire wool and you'll find it. Less zeroes is course. Seems to be available at ScrewFix and the rainforest. Could be too fine but you can always go course if necessary. I used it on the varnished surface of a kitchen worktop to take the sheen off after it had dried without knackering the surface.
That looks like it will do the job nicely, I'll have trip up to my local screw fix this weekend :)

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Associate
OP
x0hnnRj.png
So after ordering some more parts I'm almost ready to start however I've had to have a "re-jig" of the system loop due to the case not being able to hold the radiator in my desired position.

Plan No. 3
Run the tubes in parallel like previously planned but have a straight run on each length before the 45 angle fittings.
Oqatzbr.png

Plan No. 4
Run the tubes in parallel like previously planned but have only vertical and horizontal runs with 90 fittings.
DqVSD30.png

I would just buy all the fittings but what with prices my pocket cant cope :D

In other news, my glass tubing, Hue+, waterblock and glass panel for the side of the case (I'll get photos next week) :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
x0hnnRj.png
So without possessing the fitting this is the best I can do for a comparison, luckily someone from another forum took a picture of the EK-HDC 12 fitting and option 1 and but they didn't have the other fitting I'm looking at so I only have a generic photo for the (AC fitting) other option. I'm still not sure :)
Ntk3XIm.jpg.png
mjQIuIf.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if it's any help but if you want photos of measurements of fittings or combinations, I've got (spare):

EK-HDC 12 Black and Elox Black
EK-ACF 13 Black
EK-HDC 16 Elox black
EK M-M 20mm extension
Alphacool M-M and M-F 90 degree rotary fittings black
Koolance 30 degree black

Associate
OP
Not sure if it's any help but if you want photos of measurements of fittings or combinations, I've got (spare):
EK-HDC 12 Black and Elox Black
EK-ACF 13 Black
EK-HDC 16 Elox black
EK M-M 20mm extension
Alphacool M-M and M-F 90 degree rotary fittings black
Koolance 30 degree black
Thank you for the offer but to be honest I have all the measurements I need at the moment as it's mainly the EK HDC fittings and the 90 angles that are likely to have different diameters :)

What do you think of the different 90 fittings? :)

Soldato
That's why I'm going RGB with my lighting - purely so I can change the colour if I wish. Not to have it dancing, cycling or breathing. May go as far as to have colour determined by temperature though. Have to widen my 3mm LED holes out to 5mm though :eek:

Associate
OP
That's why I'm going RGB with my lighting - purely so I can change the colour if I wish. Not to have it dancing, cycling or breathing. May go as far as to have colour determined by temperature though. Have to widen my 3mm LED holes out to 5mm though :eek:
Exactly, its means that if you do want to change colour you don't have to remove all the cables and fixtures. Although some of the breathing effects can look rather impressive if your making a show system :)

Associate
OP
x0hnnRj.png
This update is quite a big one, I'm hoping to get moving on the assembly of the system next week now that most of the parts have arrived.:D

baqejFFl.png
All the fans have arrived along with the rest of my glass tubing, the Hue+ and my glorious waterblocks. Another bit of good news is that thanks to rIcK I now have a Palit GTX 1080 for the waterblock to go on which is quite useful :)

Hosg6dlm.png
I also finally decided on a colour scheme for the cables, since the coolant will be a dark blue/deep purple colour I chose the gradient blue for the cables. As for constructing the cables that will be done by PexonPCs (Thanks guys) :)

K6IIJjhl.png
Finally for this update the cherry on the top of the whole system will be a custom cut glass window for the CaseLabs S5. This was from my local glass cutters :)

So that's all for this update and I will be testing the system tonight to make sure it all works ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
x0hnnRj.png
Another update, hopefully they should start to flow faster now that everything excluding the reservoir has arrived :D
EL7ZvNMl.jpg.png
So first port of call is my first tubing cuts, these are two templates that have been cut out of acylic so I can cut the glass tube to the correct lengths. I'm very pleased with the overall look of the tubing and mid plate together.
vR8V3CBl.jpg.png
Now for the best news, the GPU arrived (Thank you to rIcK). Obviously I had to test the GPU out by playing some BF4 on the new monitor. I was very impressed (Ultrawide definitely beats 4K hands down :D)
WfLfJ5pl.jpg.png
And here is where things went pear shaped. I removed the stock cooler and attempted to install the waterblock. Issue one was the thermal pads not adhering to the waterblock and falling off meaning/moving everywhere so I had to order more. Second issue was during the test fit the thermal pads appeared to not make contact with the VRMs and RAM chips :( Hopefully this should be solved when the new pads arrived tomorrow :)

Soldato
The thermal pads aren't particularly sticky; just squishy. They should make contact though. On the 980Ti some are 1mm and some 0.5mm thick.
You can get them to stay in place by using a dab of the thermal paste like glue. My OCD/pickiness/perfectionism required a thin, even, all-over coating :D

Associate
OP
The thermal pads aren't particularly sticky; just squishy. They should make contact though. On the 980Ti some are 1mm and some 0.5mm thick.
You can get them to stay in place by using a dab of the thermal paste like glue. My OCD/pickiness/perfectionism required a thin, even, all-over coating :D
In the end the others I ordered were too large (1.5 to 2.5mm thick :eek:) so I had to use a mix match of the new and old fittings. Luckily it all looks as if it's nicely sandwiched together now :D

Back
Top Bottom