Project Distraction

Associate
Hi All,

I though it may be interesting to some and useful to me to document a build I am working on. It started as a bit of a distraction during lock down and I'm slowly pulling it together, learning as I go.

It's an O11D XL build, so nothing revolutionary there, but it'll be a custom over powered water cooling loop with custom cabling / cable management, lots of RGB and I'll be 3D printing bits to help along the way - None of which I have any experience in at all (bar a bit of 3d printing). I always start project with incredibly high expectations and lofty ideas and then try to battle my way through them! the plan is for a nice, clean hardline loop and cabling. So it'll be fun to show what I'm doing, hopefully you'll be able to help when I get stuck and even better someone may see something they like / want advice on.

System as it stands:

AMD 5800XT
MSI RX 5700XT Gaming X
4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB
MSI Tomahawk x570
Phanteks AMP 750w

For the watercooling set up I currently have an alphacool AIO but going to be:

EKWB PE 360
Alphacool XT45 360
XSPC TX360
Aquacomputer Ultitube 150 / D5 next pump combo
Alphacool GPX block
EKWB Velocity CPU block
EKWB Vertical mount

Aquacomputer Octo & Farbwerk for fan / rgb control. I have a load of black / atomic green MDPC cable sleeving.

I'll add some photos of where I am.

Cheers, Mike

Associate
OP
I’ve started playing with 3D printing some replacements for the horrible rubber flappy covers for the cables to go through. My plan for these is to incorporate cable combs somehow. Also a psu shroud to hide some of the cabling
0EU9AnT.jpg

Associate
OP
Not bad for the first go, may drop the mount a couple of cm and line up with the graphics card though. Mount is solid which is good although I’ll probably do something for the top mount too

D3LWo2S.jpg
ObVLv34.jpg

Associate
OP
Like the 3d printing your own mounts and attaching it to the radiator, look forward to the rest of the build.
Thanks!

Nothing too exciting, but back to the cabling. 3 fans with fan and aRGB cables cut to size and sleeved. I cut the aRGB cables and solder them as I can’t work out how to DIY the connectors.

Y5ySjiX.jpg

Associate
OP
After a long hiatus due to a house move and other priorities, I've finally got round to getting the loop completed

nOiAs1Z.jpg

ifZH2A6.jpg

zYSG0DF.jpg

rfysIa8.jpg

Associate
OP
Some of the bends aren't perfect and I cut some of the tubes a mm or so short, so the angles are off a little. But I had to decide to finish it or risk never getting it done. I'm very happy for my first loop and it fulifils a long held desire to do a full custom loop.

There's still a lot to do on the wiring, but I'm going to just enjoy it for now and play around with pump / fan settings.

I definitely learnt a lot and spent a lot more than I needed to (I have a massive pile of spare fittings now!). I also ditched the 3rd radiator at the back to make the runs easier, so would like to add that in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Those tubing runs look great to me, very nice!

Thanks! They are a lot better than I expected and far from the hardest part of the build. I made a jig from a sheet of mdf and some timber which allowed me to make multiple bends accurately.

Next time I would buy everything then build ASAP. That way I would over order then return stuff. This time I ordered a couple of years ago, which meant the 90 degree elbows I initially bought aren’t available and I needed several more.

I would have redone one or two of the runs, but I ran out of pipe and didn’t want to wait until next week.

Associate
This is great to see, I think it is a fantastic job. My son has just seen this and now wants to WC his PC. Not something I have dabbled in at all so it's going to be a learning experience. For both of us! He has the same case so this has really inspired him. Great build! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom