Project Distraction

Associate
OP
This is great to see, I think it is a fantastic job. My son has just seen this and now wants to WC his PC. Not something I have dabbled in at all so it's going to be a learning experience. For both of us! He has the same case so this has really inspired him. Great build! Thanks.
Thanks!

It was seeing other builds in this case that made me want to do it too. The cool thing is that there are so many different ways to do it, it’s completely up to you what you want to achieve. Colours / styles / components.

But, it is v expensive especially I think the first time as you learn and buy some of the bits you need. Perhaps soft tubing would have been cheaper / easier, but it wasn’t what I wanted. Or maybe a distro plate would have been easier if not cheaper.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll share any experience/ learnings I have.

Here’s a photo showing how just playing around with the rgb can change the look. The green looks more accurate in this one.

mRFTtMx.jpg

Associate
Brilliant. Thanks Mike, any advice would be welcome. I have realised now that the XL is quite a bit larger than the O11D's we both have, my mistake. Jamie, my son, is playing around on a PC simulator looking at layouts and has already decided on a vertical GPU mount, which he doesn't yet have, along with two 360 rads and a D5 Pump/res. I too, am getting concerned at the amount of money he doesn't have! :D I've taken on board your Distro comment and I'll look into that, as I'm not familiar with them at all. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Associate
I have realised now that the XL is quite a bit larger than the O11D's we both have, my mistake. Jamie, my son, is playing around on a PC simulator looking at layouts and has already decided on a vertical GPU mount, which he doesn't yet have, along with two 360 rads and a D5 Pump/res. I too, am getting concerned at the amount of money he doesn't have! :D I've taken on board your Distro comment and I'll look into that, as I'm not familiar with them at all. Thanks for your input. :cool:

You are correct in the XL being considerably larger than the standard O11D. It can be tricky to squeeze 2x360 rads and have a vertical gpu in the O11D, can be done but it is not straightforward. Have a look through the case gallery and see what others have achieved. I personally like distro plates and have one in my build but nothing wrong with a standard pump/res combo, Mike's version above with the water coolant readout is a very good idea and I would definitely recommend you have some sort of temp sensor in the loop.

Very good job on the runs, looks great.

Soldato
Brilliant. Thanks Mike, any advice would be welcome. I have realised now that the XL is quite a bit larger than the O11D's we both have, my mistake. Jamie, my son, is playing around on a PC simulator looking at layouts and has already decided on a vertical GPU mount, which he doesn't yet have, along with two 360 rads and a D5 Pump/res. I too, am getting concerned at the amount of money he doesn't have! :D I've taken on board your Distro comment and I'll look into that, as I'm not familiar with them at all. Thanks for your input. :cool:
Keep an eye on the Members Market (if you're able) or Ebay for people selling radiators, bundles of fittings and pumps/reservoirs, as there's always a bargain to be had.

I started collecting parts to hard-line my rig, so I bought loads of 13mm fittings. Then I spotted a chap selling 16mm soft tube fittings for 90% off RRP, so I snatched those.

I've now got probably £2-3k worth of bits (if I'd paid RRP) for approx £200. I'll get round to listing the stuff I won't use at some point never :rolleyes:

Associate
OP

My advice would be:

- Look at other builds for reference and decide what you like.
- Create a list of main components - radiators, pump/res, distro plates, CPU/GPU blocks, what type & size tubing you'll want
- Check through it for incompatabilities and have a rough idea of how you'll route it inside the case to see if there are any major issues (eg I decided to put the drain port so it comes out of the back of the case, so I needed to drill a hole through the case to do that).
- Don't forget you'll need to fill it, drain it and ideally monitor at least fluid temp and pump usage
- Think about fans, RGB (if you want that) and wiring. For me this was actually the hardest part, or at least the part where I trashed more components and ended up dialing back some of what I initially wanted to do (eg I bought loads of wire, sleeving & connectors because I wanted to do complete custom cabling, but the time involved was too much and even though the end result looked good, the quality of the connections I crimped wasn't high enough).
I ended up with the Aquacomputer Ultitube pump/res which has a fan out so that goes to a 10-Way fan splitter to power all the fans (I did have a Aquacomputer Octo but I fried it being stupid). For the aRGB I have 2 Aquacomputer Farbwerk 360's. This was a learning curve and I made many errors. In the end I just went for an easy set-up and ditched some of the more complicated ideas i had like recabling all the fans.
- Watch some youtube videos to get an idea of what looks good and how to bend tubes / plan builds.
- Buy the main components and test fit what you can (if it's a working PC like mine was, I couldnt do CPU/GPU until the end, but I had radiators, pump/res installed). This will help decide whether you're routing plans are sensible and what kind of runs you'll have / what connectors you may need.
- You won't get the number / type of fittings correct! I massively underestimated how many 90 degree, extensions, offsets etc I would need. Buy more than you need.
- Once you are ready, try and buy all the tubing / fittings as together and from as few suppliers as necessary, that way you can return what you dont need and get more of what you do need quite easily. This will also mean you'll need to build it quickly too, so maybe get some tubing and practice some bends first.
- You'll need at a minimum a heat gun, a silicone bending insert, something to cut the tubing (hacksaw, pipe cutter, dremel), something to make and sand a bevel into the tubes (I used a bevel cutter and sanding sticks), some measuring tools (metal rulers, tape measure, set square was useful), pressure testing pump (test to 0.3-.05 Bar - not 1.0 Bar like I was trying, that will just blow the pipes out of the fittings and make you cry!). I bought a set with some bend templates in, but didn't use it much because it was crap - the 90 degree one didn't make 90 degree bends! So in the end I made a jig that I could use to bend whatever I wanted. Even with that, I found that exactly where the tube would bend / needed to bend was a bit of trial and error.
- Bending PETG tubes isn't that hard, just watch a few videos and go for it.

Plus lot's of other stuff I forgot!

By the time you've totted up all these costs, you might feel like a new case isn't that much more to add :D https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...s-panels-full-tower-case-black-ca-0bq-pt.html https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-o11d-evo-xl-black-ca-7bp-ll.html

Associate
My advice would be:

- Don't forget you'll need to fill it, drain it and ideally monitor at least fluid temp and pump usage

Plus lot's of other stuff I forgot!

The lots of other stuff comment made me laugh! Thanks Mike, that is very helpful and very much appreciated! :cool:

I can't see your fill point or drain point in your loop though, care to enlighten me? :confused:

Associate
OP
The lots of other stuff comment made me laugh! Thanks Mike, that is very helpful and very much appreciated! :cool:

I can't see your fill point or drain point in your loop though, care to enlighten me? :confused:

The fill point was easy, just through the top of the reservoir. I was worried at first that there was a rad higher than the res so maybe it would overfill during filling, but that wasn’t an issue.

The drain port was trickier as it should be at / near the lowest part and I wanted it to be out of the way. Luckily the alphacool rad has a port at the back end, so I put a valve on it and went out the back of the case. When I want to drain it, I have a barbed fitting I can screw in and run some flexible tubing to drain.
AXWp7xi.jpg

DwLPVpB.jpg

Associate
Cheers Mike. I would have thought the same, in that the rad is substantially higher than the top of the Res. Good to know.

I've just checked the rads I got for my son and they don't have the additional port so it will be a T-Junction off the bottom rad for him.

Thank you. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom