Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Soldato
Surely the bath tap was tested after it was moved closer to the bath..??
Nope, I had some work done, and if I'm hadn't tested it myself in the evening then shower tray would have leaked like a sieve after it is was tiled up (luckily the timing of me testing it worked out OK). It leaked from the shower trap with just a jug full of water.

****ing cowboys

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Surely the bath tap was tested after it was moved closer to the bath..??

I'd be asking for a copy of this bloke's indemnity insurance. Keep a receipt of every single penny the inevitable repairs and remedial work costs and send him the bill, via MoneyClaimOnline if necessary.

Yes, the bath tap was tested after it was moved, and we've used it several times already without issue.

Upon inspection, the issue was identified as a broken seal and a poor-quality shower hose leaking. This leakage caused water to drip onto the floor, running toward the back of the bath where the outlet is located, given that it's a freestanding bath.

The plumber who came to fix it on Friday essentially attributed the problem to a poor-quality freestanding tap. He mentioned something about it being a European product and lacking the British kite mark, indicating that the quality was not up to standard. As a precautionary measure, he replaced all the internal washers to ensure a more secure fix. I have also replaced the shower head with a bidget shower head (as he recommended) as it's only used to clean the bath.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
New front door fitted yesterday; It's always refreshing to work with a company that takes pride in their work, does a professional job, and cleans up after themselves.

TVTVKec.png
k5ULFke.png

We've completed the utility room, including the flooring and plaster reveals (except for painting). I've contacted the building inspector, and they're scheduled to visit next week for final approval (not sure if he will pull on the entrance step to the rear as its 3 1/2 courses high.

The developer still needs to do some re-pointing, which we require for completion since we're uncertain about the render color. Once that's done, we can tell him to jog on!

NuCBdOn.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
BUILDING INSPECTION: [PASSED]

So relieved' there are a few minor things he picked up on (pending work outside, particularly regarding the pointing, which is essential for preventing wildlife intrusion and rain ingress). But he knows the trouble we have been through and wanted it signed off for us.

The inspector mentioned something off the record that I shocked me. He shared he has currently 20+ clients with the developer in the last 3 years, this project will only be the second one to be signed off in in that time.

Question: Do i get the developer to finish the pointing' or tell him jog on now (either way, he is not getting the last payment) ?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Only issue i do not know the colour mortar mix; could look like a patch work quilt if i get it wrong.
I genuinely wouldn't be worrying about that - a decent brickie will be able to match new mortar (I highly doubt the current cowboy has used a KFC "secret blend of 11 spices"). Just look for the packaging of whatever product he's already used.

Soldato
The inspector mentioned something off the record that I shocked me. He shared he has currently 20+ clients with the developer in the last 3 years, this project will only be the second one to be signed off in in that time.

Probably because the other 18+ clients sacked him.

Why was this not revealed before you hired him? Not sure how you'd have found it out though, not like he'd be advertising that.

Anyway, congrats on passing inspection and start to enjoy your home!

Soldato
If the house is secure and weathertight, get rid of the builder straight away. If you’ve got a list of minor things to sort out, hire independent trades to do it at your convenience. Hopefully you’ve got a small amount of case that you’re not paying the builder with that you can use.

Got there in the end, phew!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Do it off the massive back step he left, should cause him some damage :D

Litterally burst out laughing; reading this.

Just come home and someone is doing the pointing :o he has had someone turn up today, we didnt get around to sending a formal email yesterday as we want something in writing to tell him to stop work and no further payment will be recieved etc. We have a huge list we are going to include; but one of the top items will be.

The quote states: "Site welfare will be provided throughout the work".

ZERO site welfare was provided throughout the project, resulting in cleaning up waste and workmen urinating in the garden ( i caught them and confronted them and they was like we have no where to go) and using the downstairs toilet when there was no running water (for number 2's) and the fact that WE had to clean up due to no running water. Failure to provide suitable welfare I believe is also a health and safety violation under the HSE and I’m pretty sure the Council’s environmental health would also not approve.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hows the refusal to pay the final payment gone down with the developer? I guess that's the final chapter to this story, I hope that he's agreed to not expect it and all is done and dusted.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Hows the refusal to pay the final payment gone down with the developer? I guess that's the final chapter to this story, I hope that he's agreed to not expect it and all is done and dusted.

I will let you know tomorrow morning as we have been waiting for our building completion certificate. That arrived today :). We held concern about him doing something to skupper sign off. Now we have the paperwork and legally, we are complete we are sending.

Regarding the final instalment payment of £6,500 - the total expense for the doors, fittings, etc amounted to £4,300, leaving an outstanding balance of £2,200.

Then we list; endless items we have need to purchase including inconveniences etc.

It is a very formal, legal sounding email (our QS lent a hand) explicity requesting that he refrain from discussing these matters via phone or face-to-face, any additional communication this project should be done via email.

I can guarantee within the first 2 minutes of sending the email, we get a phone call and will threats etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Total Recall call recorder (OnePlus 9 Pro, Android 13/OxygenOS 13.1) for all incoming calls - both for legal protection and because my short-term memory is horrendous (TBI & Sub-arachnoid haemorrhage). It's got me out of trouble on more than a few occasions, with the police but mainly with the Wife (shopping list with 6 items, 4 of which I'm fairly sure aren't "buy three more of the first two!")

Highly recommend you look at something similar for your phone; if/when it ends up in court, playing a recording of exactly what was said/threatened, is far easier than playing He said/They said.

Back
Top Bottom