Rent increase question

Caporegime
OP
Is that all the notice they have to give to boot you out?

Dunno, need to look in to it properly. Someone mentioned a rolling contract but I'm fairly certain we signed for three years.

Will have a look.

Not ideal time to be moving.
Is that the date you need to leave?
Or you planning to drag it out?

I cba tbh. The landlord has proven himself to be a bit of a bell end and the estate agents are getting reported for breaking the terms by which they need to abide but I just want this over and done with.

Knowing what I do now they're obviously going to chance for every penny of the deposit so I'd love nothing more than to tear the place to pieces so I know they have to spend that money.

Associate
Knowing what I do now they're obviously going to chance for every penny of the deposit so I'd love nothing more than to tear the place to pieces so I know they have to spend that money.
Why's that? Many landlords are trying to make their finances work out with their new mortgage costs. That doesn't mean they're going to unfairly withhold your deposit. I mean they may well do - but not sure I see a direct correlation between what's happened so far and that.

Caporegime
Dunno, need to look in to it properly. Someone mentioned a rolling contract but I'm fairly certain we signed for three years.

Will have a look.

I cba tbh. The landlord has proven himself to be a bit of a bell end and the estate agents are getting reported for breaking the terms by which they need to abide but I just want this over and done with.

I believe deposits are quite contestable now?
Ie they can't just do you for wear?

Caporegime
OP
I believe deposits are quite contestable now?
Ie they can't just do you for wear?

No idea. I won't damage the place obvs and we're leaving it in a better condition that when we moved in (new liggts fittings, bathroom fittings) but that doesn't stop me wanting to.

Caporegime
No idea. I won't damage the place obvs and we're leaving it in a better condition that when we moved in (new liggts fittings, bathroom fittings) but that doesn't stop me wanting to.
I can't remember, but I thought that it the landlord takes the pee

"there's a mark on the wall, i need to repaint"

That the Tennant can go to some arbitration process? I can't remember exactly.

Make sure you take pics!

Suspended

Make sure you take pics!

Yeah but they're unsurprisingly not very good, they dismissed all of the pictures we'd taken because we didn't have a digital time stamp and simply had pictures taken with dates and signatures from when we moved in. Not sure what a digital time stamp would prove since I imagine it would be trivial to alter the date on a digital camera, but I think we got back 50% of the deposit instead of the 100% the landlord wanted to keep despite leaving the property in better condition than we found it, having the carpets professionally cleaned, and scrubbing the place from top to bottom. I actually wouldn't have minded renting compared to owning if it weren't for horrible landlords and intrusive inspections every 3 months.

Last edited:
Soldato

Make sure you take pics!
i can only speak from my experience.

we had some bad tenants who trashed the place and we had to fully redecorate, there were foot prints on the wall, dents in the storage heaters and they had blocked all the vents so there was a black mould problem, and we still ended up being forced to give their full deposit back (personally i think the letting agency are just bad at their job TBH)

Permabanned
Got this email on Friday from our letting agent:

The rent increase clause in our tenancy agreement states:

Now from my understanding there are a few options here. First is agree and pay the higher rent from December onwards (lol).

Second is disagree and the landlord can begin the eviction process.

Third is disagree and they have to wait until the renewal.

So hive mind, what's the legality here?

Cheers :)
Looks like they have a solid case.
If it hasn't been raised in two years, then it explains things.

Caporegime
OP
Woot woot, officially a refugee from my own home :cry:

RE: Notice seeking possession of a property let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

As discussed, please find enclosed Section 21 Tenancy form 6a: Notice seeking possession of a property let on an assured shorthold tenancy.

You will be required to vacate the above property on 05th January 2024 .You are entitled to at least two months’ notice before being required to give up possession of the property.

Please see the enclosed Section 21 Tenancy form 6a for further information. We shall contact you separately regarding the end of tenancy procedures.

If you are unsure as to your rights in this matter you should refer this letter and its enclosure to your own Solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau for the benefit of professional advice.

Kind regards

Soldato
Time to go house hunting then I guess.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to argue anything, I don't think it would be worth the stress and despite any laws, knowing how everything in this country works, you'll probably find in practice be geared up to protect the bigger fish - eg your landlord.

Caporegime
OP
Time to go house hunting then I guess.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to argue anything, I don't think it would be worth the stress and despite any laws, knowing how everything in this country works, you'll probably find in practice be geared up to protect the bigger fish - eg your landlord.

Yeah I'm not fussed at all tbh, in all honestly this works in my favour a bit as I've wanted to move out of London for quite some time but my wife loves living near the high street so she can walk past all the shuttered shops twice a month.

I've already begun ordering stuff for the move, I want to make this as painless as possible.

Back
Top Bottom