RIP Adam Johnson / Ice Hockey player

Associate
Presumably there is some evidence/suggestion to suggest the collision was intentional or its the police being idiots.

Last edited:
Don
It's the police following standard procedure.
Yeah was thinking that, police would need to investigate and part of that would be interviewing the person that caused the death. Doing it under arrest formalises things and affords the person being interviewed rights as well.

Technically it's a workplace accident so HSE should be looking into it as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Presumably there is some evidence/suggestion to suggest the collision was intentional or its the police being idiots.

Up to yet I think the majority of us have only seen really bad grainy video that shows a player doing a Bruce Lee flying kick and others saying it's either intentional or he clipped the player in front that then made him do a Bruce Lee flying kick.
I reckon the Police have seen proper good quality video from different angles.

Soldato
Ive never seen someone ride the TT in t shirt and shorts, no helmet. Why? Because there are rules to stop that level of stupidity.
They were a number of protective gear to protect them in an incident, but the nature of the TT is extremely dangerous and has the ability to end your life in a split second.

This should not be the case with Ice Hockey and it was proven recently, that it is possible, as a result something has to change.

As you say though, they wear some protective gear. But in reality, if someone at the TT has a proper off, at speed, they may as well be wearing none.

In ice hockey they wear protective gear that actually works in 99.999999999....
% of cases. I'm not saying they shouldn't investigate and enforce wearing proper neck protection, but it is still an absolute freak thing that happened.

Associate
As you say though, they wear some protective gear. But in reality, if someone at the TT has a proper off, at speed, they may as well be wearing none.

In ice hockey they wear protective gear that actually works in 99.999999999....
% of cases. I'm not saying they shouldn't investigate and enforce wearing proper neck protection, but it is still an absolute freak thing that happened.
Yeah I know, I said the same thing.

Freak accident? whatever, it still occurred and has occurred more than once. With plenty of other close calls. Protection seems like a reasonable and sensible approach.
I dont remember seeing other pro's with less protective gear when you reach the top levels. Most, have more.

Soldato
That's just not true.

How many times has someone accidentally sliced someone's throat with a boot?

It was only a few years ago a cricketer was killed from a blow to the head, so other sports do have their issues too. Footballers and rugby players die all the time from head injuries, but in a slow and horrible way through dementia.

Cricketers still don't wear throat guards, but a 90 mph ball to the throat is gonna sting, footballers still head the ball, rugby players still stick their head where its going to be damaged.

TT racers will still die if they crash at the wrong time.

You try and learn and de-risk any sport, but to pick out ice hockey as a particularly bad or dangerously unregulated sport is unfair.

Associate
I hadn't realised there was a video of the incident. I couldn't understand the manslaughter investigation but having seen the footage I can see why they had to. I hope that its based on what the hockey experts think and not because it looks bad to the outsider.

I have bowled bouncers at people in cricket for years and had them back at me (pre mandatory helmets) but I can't see how you could charge someone with manslaughter if it killed someone. But I know the ridks and played a lot of cricket. Hopefully they hockey experts will come to a collective decision and not some legal bod out to make a name for themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom