RIP Windows Phone

Man of Honour
I doubt windows phones will pick up, though the windows 10 platform should make it easier. However, I won't ever have one, and have disabled all those features from windows 10 as I don't need to sync it at all. It's a clever idea, but it's not something that appeals to me.

Soldato
I got rid of my 830 so i could come back to android as the app's were still rubbish, twitter hadn't been update for about 2 years, no official youtube and others while good were just not good enough.

i think the fact that MS create apps for other OS and they turn out to be better than WP version, just goes to show they have little confidence in their own OS.

the only thing i miss from my 830 is the camera.

Soldato
What's everyone's take on this? Are people going to miss Windows Phone?
I can't miss when I'm only shooting it from 10yds away...:p

Nah, we got Windows Phones as work mobiles. Nokia Lumia 735, I think.
Reviews say: "Good for taking selfies.... and... errm.... well, that's about it, really".

Soldato
I was in charge of bringing our most popular iOS/Android games to the Windows Desktop/Phone platform and I have to say as a developer, the tools and APIs Microsoft have provided are really nice to work with, and I've actually enjoyed using them. Compared to android dev, it's a paradise.

Would I get a Windows phone myself though? No, probably not. Maybe it's because I'm too ingrained in the google eco-system.

Windows 10 does a lot of things right and is probably the most technically accomplished OS of them all. Unfortunately it just seems too little (well, a lot, actually), too late.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are abhorrent to deal with as an OEM

Why do you say that out of interest, do you work in the devices area at your place? I worked very closely with them at a telco from 2012-2014 on various projects and I always found them to be one of the better partners. Good engagement, support and even funding/developer resource given for apps.

Associate
I have a Lumia 735 running Windows 10 Mobile and it just works. I much prefer it to when it was on Windows Phone 8.1. I'm not a massive app user so the lack of apps doesn't really bother me.

However my girlfriend has the 930 and its been a massive disappointment for her. Its got to the point where she cant even make a phone call without having to mess about with it, the screen just stays blank. A quick google suggests that 930 and proximity sensors problems are very common. Not good in what should be a high-end mobile phone.

Soldato
UK market share was 9% in December, which isn't that bad at all. I regularly see Windows phones on my daily commute, and I do get the feeling that they are on the rise.

Man of Honour
However my girlfriend has the 930 and its been a massive disappointment for her. Its got to the point where she cant even make a phone call without having to mess about with it, the screen just stays blank. A quick google suggests that 930 and proximity sensors problems are very common. Not good in what should be a high-end mobile phone.

My mum got a 950 recently which doesn't seem too bad as a phone and basic internet use but not infrequently the screen will stay black or frozen on the last image it was displaying (you can hear from sounds in the background the OS is still functioning) and she has to hold down power + volume down to regain functionality.

Mobster
Soldato
Let's talk in a month or two now that Windows Phone 10 is out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been holding off upgrading for that reason.

The same old Windows Phone argument. Let's talk after Windows Phone 7 is released, let's talk after Windows Phone 8 is released, after 8.1 is released...

People are bored of waiting and Microsoft will admit privately that they have given up.

Man of Honour
Let's talk in a month or two now that Windows Phone 10 is out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been holding off upgrading for that reason.

I wouldn't expect it to increase that much. Ms is not advertising or pushing 950/xl at all, haven't seen a single advert in any format. I really think at the moment they do not care.
However they are still and repeatedly saying that mobile is important, and it is for their vision.
950 is released to keep window fans happy.
They really do seem to have gone into hibernation as they prepare for surface phone.
Hopefully by summer there will be far more apps, we need apps and it makes sense these days, as windows tablets are very popular these days and it's annoying the lack of apps on windows tablets.

Man of Honour
Not so privately if the news posts that have been published over the last 20 hours or so is anything to go by.

Rofl, he's talking rubbish. None of the stuff is from Microsoft.
It is Far from dead, people have been saying it's dead for over 4 years, yet it's still here, still being developed and new hardware is still being made,
In fact this years will see far more companies making windows phones than the last couple years.

It'll be dead when Ms pull the plug, they aren't close to doing that.

Back
Top Bottom