RIP Windows Phone

Caporegime
Depends on which market you are talking about. It is increasing in some.

"The mobile phone" market.

As with all stats, you can slice it into bits to make it say whatever you want it to say, but in terms of the whole market, Windows Phone counts for less than 3% of all new phone sales, in a market where less than 3% of active phones run Windows Phone.

If your an app developer or hardware vendor, why would you even bother?

Man of Honour

Bunch of articles popped up over the last day or so on how MS is changing direction on Windows Phone not purely based on speculation due to declining market.

Best thing they can do IMO - I really want to see a decent Surface (x86 backend) phone - hopefully by which time they'll have seen sense over some of the Windows Update stuff as that would be truly hilarious on a phone type device never mind how badly thought out it is in a tablet environment.

Man of Honour
And it still holds a tiny, and declining market share.

That still doesn't make it dead.
You've been saying it's dead for 3+ years, that in itself should tell you something. MA have a lot of money to support it and it is vital to theory vision.

There's more OEMs this year making phoines, than probably at any time in wp live,

"
If your an app developer or hardware vendor, why would you even bother?

Maybe because windows tablets are doing very well, and they need apps on them.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Bunch of articles popped up over the last day or so on how MS is changing direction on Windows Phone not purely based on speculation due to declining market.

Best thing they can do IMO - I really want to see a decent Surface (x86 backend) phone - hopefully by which time they'll have seen sense over some of the Windows Update stuff as that would be truly hilarious on a phone type device never mind how badly thought out it is in a tablet environment.

So you actually agree with me - I thought so.

Another forum member just reads what he wants to read.

Caporegime
That still doesn't make it dead.
You've been saying it's dead for 3+ years, that in itself should tell you something. MA have a lot of money to support it and it is vital to theory vision.

I suppose that depends on your definition of an OS being dead. You're clearly going to cling on until it literally doesn't exist any more, while most people will consider the current situation of tiny market share, zero sign of further adoption by hardware vendors or app developers, and its complete insignificance in the smartphone space as being enough to deem it "dead".

Its barely above Symbian.

Edit: Lol, you went back and edited your post to add stuff, yet still couldn't be bothered to fix the glaring spelling mistakes :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Maybe because windows tablets are doing very well, and they need apps on them.

Tablets are not phones and do not run Windows Phone. While Microsoft may brand them all under a single "Windows 10" banner, they are very different markets in which they are having very different levels of success.

Man of Honour
I suppose that depends on your definition of an OS being dead. You're clearly going to cling on until it literally doesn't exist any more, while most people will consider the current situation of tiny market share, zero sign of further adoption by hardware vendors or app developers, and its complete insignificance in the smartphone space as being enough to deem it "dead".

Its barely above Symbian.

Rofl, did you miss the there's more OEMs this year than at anytime in it's history, that hardly sounds like it's dead.

And you might not be right. I tried android a few months ago hated it but learnt a lot, and will try a cynogen OS phone later this year, see what's announced at MWC.

Next year I need apps, which means i'll be leaving wp, they might make progress by then, but it won't be enough. If they di succeed it's going to be years, surface phone might be the changing point, but it's going to take several generations like the surface pro.

Man of Honour
Tablets are not phones and do not run Windows Phone.

They all run w10 under the hood, there's very little work to make it compatible with every hardware device. And every update to windows makes the needed less.

They've also just released the tools to essentially import ios apps, with minimal work, changing services where need.

Caporegime
They all run w10 under the hood...

So does my PC? Are you going to claim Windows Phone is healthy and well because they have sold loads of Windows 10 desktops?

Were talking about phones, sub 7" (I think, according to Microsofts definition) touch screen devices that you carry in your pocket that run the 'Phone' branded fork of Windows 10 and solely use the Phone GIU with no Desktop mode, on non x86 hardware.

Man of Honour
So does my PC? Are you going to claim Windows Phone is healthy and well because they have sold loads of Windows 10 desktops?

Were talking about phones, sub 7" (I think, according to Microsofts definition) touch screen devices that you carry in your pocket that run the 'Phone' branded fork of Windows 10 and solely use the Phone GIU with no Desktop mode, on non x86 hardware.

No, and that was not the point I was making, what has non x86 got to do with it, you are aware of universal apps? That w10makes it a hell of a lot easier than w8 and Redstone in the summer will improve it even more.
That they've released the ios tools.

Caporegime
No, and that was not the point I was making, what has non x86 got to do with it, you are aware of universal apps? That w10makes it a hell of a lot easier than w8 and Redstone in the summer will improve it even more.
That they've released the ios tools.

I said that if you were a hardware vendor, why would you bother with Windows Phone as its in a pretty stagnant place with tiny market share.

Your response was that the tablet market is doing well. Thats true, it is, but thats not going to suddenly make millions of people switch from their Android/iOS phones to Windows ones based on there being some great ~10" tablets out there.

Tablets and phones are very different devices that server very different purposes. Therefores obviously crossover, but success in one markket doesn't mean success in the other.

For Windows Phone to be saved, there needs to be improvements in the Windows Phone space, not just in the overall Windows 10 arena.

Man of Honour
Got a link?

Not with out going back and looking through the Microsoft event thread.
But Acer, Vaio, nuans, hisense, xiaomi (4 largest mobile phone company in the world), Alcatel

That's not even the complete list for who are releasing w10m devices. When the last time you can say there was that many OEMs.

Wp have been doing well in many countries(until recently, but no new hardware or advertising, but even with that uk, Italy etc), however it has totally failed in the massive markets, namely china and USA. So the Chinese firms coming on board might help there, and Ms is probably hopping surface brand will di well in USA when it launches latter this year.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I said that if you were a hardware vendor, why would you bother with Windows Phone as its in a pretty stagnant place with tiny market share.

Your response was that the tablet market is doing well. Thats true, it is, but thats not going to suddenly make millions of people switch from their Android/iOS phones to Windows ones based on there being some great ~10" tablets out there.

Tablets and phones are very different devices that server very different purposes. Therefores obviously crossover, but success in one markket doesn't mean success in the other.

For Windows Phone to be saved, there needs to be improvements in the Windows Phone space, not just in the overall Windows 10 arena.
No it's not going to suddenly solve it over night, but the biggest issue with wp is apps, and tablet market doing well should help that, as well as w10 in general.

Man of Honour
So you think more vendors making devices with the OS will make it more successful?

It certainly helps. Especially in Chinese market.
But how can you day it's dead when OEMs are increasing not declining.

Ms are far from throwing in the towel. There's at least another two years.

Back
Top Bottom