'Russia is seriously running out of cash'

Man of Honour
I would also say that Russia would probably need that extra spending comparatively, as they have a fairly abrasive relationship with a few powers.

One thing often missed in comparisons of military budgets - since reform started in their military they generally get a lot more for their money (despite sone corruption, etc) than many of the other big powers - especially versus like the US whose military spending is rife with inefficiency, back handers, halo projects and so on.

Also when it comes to the squeeze Russians are more likely to accept that the problem comes from or put the blame on external factors rather than turn against their government - unlike many western countries where there would be a much earlier and more severe anti-government backlash.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does he not have a personal stash of 100 billion of some such crazy amount.

Maybe he can prop the county up him self. Having said that I assume much of it is stock of oil and gas companies.

Caporegime
Given a lot of the measures are mainly 'just' stuff like asset freezes in the EU/travel bans on people/arms embargoes/etc, I'd be dubious about how big a macro economic impact they've had. It depends what effect the restriction on access to EU/US financial markets for Russian companies has had, 'cause freezing the assets of people/travel bans/stopping arms sales in the EU isn't exactly world ending.

Russian analysts put it at 8-10% of GDP in total. That's not to be sneezed at.

Soldato
**Knock off the baiting**

I like this part
In January it was reported that Russians are losing patience with Putin's high taxing government as the economic crisis deepens. Since then, the situation has only grown worse.

O rly? Putin’s United Russia party won a huge victory in the country’s parliamentary election Sunday. The results mean United Russia will take 343 of the 450 seats in the Duma. In the 2011 elections, the party won 238 seats. Sunday’s outcome means Putin’s party holds the largest-ever majority of seats.

Man of Honour
I like this part

It is funny how people superimpose western thinking on Russian affairs as if it must be the case - a lot of people don't seem to understand Russia at all :S (EDIT: Not that I'm an expert at all).

Last edited:
Soldato
It is funny how people superimpose western thinking on Russian affairs as if it must be the case - a lot of people don't seem to understand Russia at all :S (EDIT: Not that I'm an expert at all).

Western thinking doesn't cognisance of the fact that Russians are not European, but Asiatic. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinese or a Japanese.

Caporegime
O rly? Putin’s United Russia party won a huge victory in the country’s parliamentary election Sunday. The results mean United Russia will take 343 of the 450 seats in the Duma. In the 2011 elections, the party won 238 seats. Sunday’s outcome means Putin’s party holds the largest-ever majority of seats.

Dictators usually win large majorities, yes.

Commissario

Especially when there are large numbers of "voting irregularities" reported by observers, despite their not being anything like the same number of observers as in previous elections.

There is a video for example purporting to be fairly blatant box stuffing, it shows the three offiicials at a voting station waiting until it's just them, then two go forward and the third quickly opens a package under the desk and walks over to the box and places the papers from the package in it
It looked like someone didn't realise the school hall or whatever it was had discrete CCTV that was active.

Man of Honour

It is more complicated than that - Putin plays into (and manipulates no doubt) Russian desires for the status of their country.

Money is make believe right?

How do you run out of something that is make believe?

Lack of imagination?

Until you have to trade with another country - make believe doesn't get you so far.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I agree. My point is that you can't take election results in a country that isn't really democratic as an indication of the popularity of the leader.

I wonder if they aren't manufacturing a squeeze somewhat to shore up support for military action (blaming it on NATO, etc.) - there is likely more to come with regard to Ukraine at some point* plus ongoing stuff in Syria.

* Ukraine now turning around its military and eventually will be at a strength that can simplify the retaking of the rebel Eastern parts and/or eye up Crimea.

Soldato
The turnout for this grand demonstration of popular democracy was the lowest in modern Russian history by some margin. A mandate of 54% on a 47% turnout for United Russia, with laughable shows in big cities (I think Moscow was below a third!), with healthy, sporadically reported ballot stuffing and other fraud over the poorly monitored expanse of the nation -- what larks! It's like saying the North of England supports Thatcherism by staying at home in a hopeless election where all the choices are bad.

Still, Medvedev gets to polish up his Crimean, 'sorry there's no money; but hang in there chaps, and good health!' speech at least. I imagine he'll be deflecting for a while for his commander in grief.:p

Caporegime
OP
'When questioned about allegations of vote-rigging in an election with historically low voter participation rate Mr Putin issued a vigorous denial, insisting he had no idea what the precise result would be until less than three days before the election.'

Soldato
Yeah, I agree. My point is that you can't take election results in a country that isn't really democratic as an indication of the popularity of the leader.

, what can't be denied he is on the ground generally very popular, I have lived and worked in Russia and 50% of people are madly in love with him, 40% take the view no one is better, we are happy enough with him and 10% (mainly manipulated teenagers) hate his guts.

Soldato
I guess they're blaming the gays?

, what can't be denied he is on the ground generally very popular, I have lived and worked in Russia and 50% of people are madly in love with him, 40% take the view no one is better, we are happy enough with him and 10% (mainly manipulated teenagers) hate his guts.

Back
Top Bottom