Ryanair buys 75 737 Max

taB

taB

Associate
I’m with you there, but there’s always someone who’ll say that Ryanair is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I used to subscribe to a very small local forum, probably no more than 100-150 posters, and someone mentioned Ryanair favourably once, so I replied that if I was going to Faro, I’d rather pay £150 plus more and go with TAP or BA than that outfit.
I was buried in venom for my impetuosity, most saying that I was a snob with more money than sense.
The post that stuck out for me said, “You sound like one of those class traitors, who only eat in restaurants that have white tablecloths, and then show off by tipping the waiter!”

Nice to see a Jean-F anecdote.

Commissario
No I appreciate that. I just don't like Ryanair find it horrible experience! I've flown on them half a dozen times and point blank refuse now.

I hadn't appreciated how much of an issue this plane was though. You're right it does make you concerned, I thought Boeing were generally good? So what happened in this plane? Cheap procurement/fit out/testing?
From what I've read, and the little I understand, they did a merger and basically acquired all the bad habits and management of the company they acquired (which was failing), and ended up with basically non technical people running the show rather than management who actually understood and in many cases had engineering experience.

Effectively the moved from being a company with a high level of technical and aviation understanding in management, to being one that is largely being run by accountants and business execs who don't understand/care about the reasons certain things were done despite being expensive.

The 737 max was basically the first "new" aircraft to come out after that changeover was largely complete, hence so many of the cut corners and decisions that make even non pilots/non engineers who have paid any attention to aircraft go "WHAT?" and "How the hell did they forget 90 years of hard won lessons!".
You see the same sort of thing in some other industries (modern cars with "touch screen" displays that give no tactile feedback), but with 300+ people at risk every time something utterly predictable goes wrong.

Soldato
From what I've read, and the little I understand, they did a merger and basically acquired all the bad habits and management of the company they acquired (which was failing), and ended up with basically non technical people running the show rather than management who actually understood and in many cases had engineering experience.

Effectively the moved from being a company with a high level of technical and aviation understanding in management, to being one that is largely being run by accountants and business execs who don't understand/care about the reasons certain things were done despite being expensive.

The 737 max was basically the first "new" aircraft to come out after that changeover was largely complete, hence so many of the cut corners and decisions that make even non pilots/non engineers who have paid any attention to aircraft go "WHAT?" and "How the hell did they forget 90 years of hard won lessons!".
You see the same sort of thing in some other industries (modern cars with "touch screen" displays that give no tactile feedback), but with 300+ people at risk every time something utterly predictable goes wrong.
Had quick Google and this interesting article was one of the first hits -

Associate

Always remember the day I was flying on a BA Airbus A321 (this is going back probably around 15-20 years) and was sitting in the exit row near the back (not the ones at the back) which had a crewmember sitting there as well for takeoff and landing. Taking off the plastics on the inside of the plane are making a bit of racket (probably rubbing at the joins between the panels, and the cabin crew said to me, 'you wouldn't get that in a Boeing'. How times have changed.

Soldato
The airline that had this issue today has returned some of the grounded jets to the air already.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67899564.amp

Hopefully this because they have checked everything and are happy that they are safe and hopefully other airlines will be checking properly as well.

We have flown with Ryanair a lot because often they are the only airline going where and when we want to go, they don’t seem to cancel many flights or get too delayed much and supposedly are cheap. I always try to remember that they have never had an accident with deaths and hope that continues. We are due to fly next week on a rebooked flight after easyJet cancelled on us (again!) I have not been on a 737 Max yet but if they are replacing all the 737 800s it will probably happen one day :( I hope an 800 turns up next week, preferably with the newer thinner seats as then there is slightly more leg space (but still a squeeze)

Commissario
Had quick Google and this interesting article was one of the first hits -
That's quite possibly one of the articles I read a couple of years back, IIRC there were a whole slate of them including some that had interviews with ex boeing staff who'd done things like take early retirement as they didn't want to be involved with the new management.

Caporegime
That's quite possibly one of the articles I read a couple of years back, IIRC there were a whole slate of them including some that had interviews with ex boeing staff who'd done things like take early retirement as they didn't want to be involved with the new management.

Yep, I remember reading quite a bit about this period in Boeing's history too, with one of them saying "Boeing will fail because it is no longer run by engineers, it's run by accountants and corners are being cut" or something to that effect.

Seems his prediction is slowly coming true.

Edit- something like this:

Last edited:
Soldato
is Airbus ok too ... have to wait for the post mortem on the A350 ? did the fire suppression systems work following its collision in Japan and what were the toxic gases from GRP like.

Last edited:
Commissario
is Airbus ok too ... have to wait for the post mortem on the A350 ? did the fire suppression systems work following its collision in Japan and what were the toxic gases from GRP like.
I suspect the fire suppression system wouldn't have done anything but slow any fire and given that fire was external there is little that any "system" could have done to slow it, instead it was relying on the materials used in construction and they seemed to hold up quite well given what happened.

AFAIK no aircraft has a particularly good fire suppression system as the weight is too much and it carries it's own risks, so they tend to have systems for the engines and cargo bay (using something that's not great for humans), and some portable extinguishers in the cabin areas.
The general approach to fires on aircraft is that you hope you don't have them, you design to avoid them, you take what steps you can with fire equipment in the most likely areas, and if you do get one you get on the ground as fast as possible even if it just appears to be a small one.

From what I saw of the Japanese airlines one the other day it looked like it actually faired better than some of the more "traditionally" constructed aircraft despite the size of the "initial" fire.

Soldato
Just to clarify - The A350 is the first civilian aircraft with a cargo hold fire suppression system for the area directly under the passenger cabin which uses Halon gas as its suppressant. It looks like it was the A350's central fuel tank which seems to have ruptured in the immediate aftermath and that Halon system (if used TBF) may have kept any internal fire in the cargo bay (right below peoples feet) pushed back for about a minute (looking at the cabin videos post landing) before it was overcome, by which time most passengers were out.

Airbus have a whole webpage devoted to its new A350 cargo bay fire suppressing system -

Associate
Just to clarify - The A350 is the first civilian aircraft with a cargo hold fire suppression system for the area directly under the passenger cabin which uses Halon gas as its suppressant. It looks like it was the A350's central fuel tank which seems to have ruptured in the immediate aftermath and that Halon system (if used TBF) may have kept any internal fire in the cargo bay (right below peoples feet) pushed back for about a minute (looking at the cabin videos post landing) before it was overcome, by which time most passengers were out.

Airbus have a whole webpage devoted to its new A350 cargo bay fire suppressing system -

All civilian aircraft I'm familiar with have halon fire suppression in the belly holds, I thought it was pretty standard to be honest. Also, unless the A350 has an automatic fire suppression system I suspect it was unlikely to have been used.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was after watching that Netflix documentary on the Boeing and now with this that made me make my mind up that from now on it'll be safer for me to fly Aeroflot...:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is alarming:

Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.

I really would have thought they would have grounded it until an explanation was found...

Soldato
We covered this in this morning's meeting as it could effect our deliveries.

Spirit are involved now as well (fuselage manufacturer)

Man of Honour
This is alarming:

Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.

I really would have thought they would have grounded it until an explanation was found...

It is not clear if there is a link between the issues that led to those warnings, and the issue that caused the blowout on 5 January.
"An additional maintenance look" was requested but "not completed" before the incident, Ms Homendy said.

Eek, I bet the maintenance team are having a squeaky bum moment.

Caporegime
Hindsight is wonderful. It really all stems from a decision to move the company HQ away from Seattle and the influx of McDonnell Douglas style leadership. The company stopped being run by Engineers and started being run by accountants.

Back
Top Bottom