S2000 owners advice

Associate
Glad this thread has been revived as I'm looking to add something to my UK collection - Ive got a space in my garage next to the DB9.

Have been looking at the s2000 and there seem to be 3 on eBay that have caught my mind. Would you guys touch a cat s/n? There's a cat s GT edition currently going in Manchester, and another Cat N currently in Northern Ireland with 30k or so miles which will need some considerable repair. I'm in the UK during the summer periods so will be driving in hopefully decent weather only

Associate
i would buy a cat s2000 if i could see the damage and what's been repaired, would have no issues with that, you have to accept that the sale / resale value will be around 20% lower

i have looked at a few non cat s2000 recently and found that you need to watch out for really poor paint jobs, a lot of them have had rust repairs done now on the arches and some of the paint jobs look like Stevie Wonder was on the gun.

This maybe as I'm looking around the 10k mark, the condition of these at this price point is all over the place so just holding out for the right one.

Don
S2000s get written off very easily by insurnace companies due to the lack of body panel availability. You only have to trash a wing and you're getting it written off.

Permabanned
what is it with hondas and chains stretching? cousins k20 civic engine needed chain doing at 60k miles. :confused: :confused:
They use an inferior chain design, I forget which, but it's not for example like an older BMW chain that will outlive the owner let alone the engine.
The guides also fail and are plastic. It's a shame, as you say you basically end up with the lifespan of a Honda cambelt - which seem to last way longer than other cambelts, which is ironic versus their chain design haha!

Associate
Glad this thread has been revived as I'm looking to add something to my UK collection - Ive got a space in my garage next to the DB9.

Have been looking at the s2000 and there seem to be 3 on eBay that have caught my mind. Would you guys touch a cat s/n? There's a cat s GT edition currently going in Manchester, and another Cat N currently in Northern Ireland with 30k or so miles which will need some considerable repair. I'm in the UK during the summer periods so will be driving in hopefully decent weather only
Thanks - surprisingly these week more have hit eBay - there's one nice example with a lot of the major work done - clutch /brake lines, geo bolts and suspension replaced, timing chain and tensioner, belt tensioner and pulley etc

Associate
Thanks - surprisingly these week more have hit eBay - there's one nice example with a lot of the major work done - clutch /brake lines, geo bolts and suspension replaced, timing chain and tensioner, belt tensioner and pulley etc

We are probably looking at the same stuff on ebay haha, what budget are you looking at? I'm around 10k at the moment, maybe a tad more for the right car., I'm watching a few but nothings really standing out at the moment. Would like to find one with a few bits done, i.e. clutch and alignment as its going to be a higher mileage car at that price.

Associate
I'm not looking for a garage queen with 50k on the clock, i know they are 15k plus, i would happily take an early car with 100k - 120k on the clock if its got decent history. its going to get some track action at the end of the day.

Associate
What insurance companies are people using? Going to look at one this weekend, just trying to get a decent quote for it just in case. Comparison sites are coming out around £400 a year, I'm 39 and it won't be the daily driver for reference.

Soldato
What insurance companies are people using? Going to look at one this weekend, just trying to get a decent quote for it just in case. Comparison sites are coming out around £400 a year, I'm 39 and it won't be the daily driver for reference.
a-plan been with them for a few years on the s2k.

s2ks are not cheap to insure - hard to repair, expensive to repair and very likely to be crashed by someone thinking its as forgiving as an mx5.

Soldato
OP
very likely to be crashed by someone thinking its as forgiving as an mx5.

I don't understand how this is possible, I had MX5's for about 8 years in total, and it feels completely different in that it holds grip longer, but is clearly far harder and therefore snappy on the limit vs progressive.

Man of Honour
Same as every single other car apart from grey imports. Whatever the cheapest reputable company is via comparison sites, factoring in the level of cover and cashback etc.

Associate
they are usually just stuck on with tape unless its an oem version, in that case they are drilled through the boot. Worth a question to the owner.

If tape you can heat it up to remove it.

Could probably get the colour changed to grey in any case.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I saw this one which seemed a good price. But on closer inspection it has a black lip/spoiler thing installed which I didn't notice at first.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403137513054

Would this come off easily? I imagine it would have holes in the boot lid to fix it?

Silly for something like that to put me off. It's also a fair distance away but for the right car, travelling isn't a problem
I'd be more concerned about rust and suspension components/bushes. Even if the spoiler is drilled through, it's a fairly straightforward fix.

Back
Top Bottom