S2000 owners advice

Soldato
i didn't see all the blue in the engine bay, id have to take that back to oem. superficial things really.
Funnily enough we just noticed that too and thought it wasn't standard. I'm out on this one.

The second picture of a wheel too, the left bottom left arch area looks a bit suspect? Like corrosion or scuffed?

The search continues

Don
I saw this one which seemed a good price. But on closer inspection it has a black lip/spoiler thing installed which I didn't notice at first.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403137513054

Would this come off easily? I imagine it would have holes in the boot lid to fix it?

Silly for something like that to put me off. It's also a fair distance away but for the right car, travelling isn't a problem
That is a 3rd party copy of the OE spoiler. They look good when painted the correct colour. I've got an OE one for mine that I'm waiting to fit. With that and the OE front lip it changes the whole look of the car to be much more aggressive and purposful.

Soldato
That's gorgeous tbf. Ad doesn't give much to go on, but it looks the part.

Still thinking pre 2006 for the saving on yearly tax myself. Or are the newer ones worth the hit there?

Soldato

Still thinking pre 2006 for the saving on yearly tax myself. Or are the newer ones worth the hit there?
Honestly I’d buy on condition. The way S2K market is, you either get very clean good cars or you get beaten up daily drivers. You may save £300 a year on tax but spend that fighting other niggles.

It seems that you’re keen to get a bone stock example which is why I’d just buy on condition and in your budget.

The pearl white is a lovely colour in person too and I think suits the S2K.

Don

Newer ones will have VSA/Traction Control and little speakers in the roll hoops. The speakers are not worth having but the VSA/TC might be depending on how familiar you are with a snappy RWD car.
Personally, I prefered to have an early one without those additional items as it's more stuff to go wrong. My last S2000 was a 2007 and had those things. I can't say I noticed much else different between that one and my 2005.

But what Grudas says, buy on condition. I bought a 2005 but would happily have bought a post 2006 if one came up and it had been as good the one I bought.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool thanks will keep that in mind :)

I'm starting to like the look of them in Red. Some look great, and others it doesn't seem to suit.

Coming from a red mx5 you see

Associate
made a purchase today!
2002 Silverstone Silver with 84k on the clock
bodyworks in great condition for age, no arch rot etc., looks good underneath as been garaged most of its life.
came with a hardtop on moonrock grey, not sure what do with that yet, maybe wrap it carbon/black or leave/sell it.
unsure on the front grills at the moment, previous owner added them to protect a new AC condenser that was changed.
DwnsDJ4.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
made a purchase today!
2002 Silverstone Silver with 84k on the clock
bodyworks in great condition for age, no arch rot etc., looks good underneath as been garaged most of its life.
came with a hardtop on moonrock grey, not sure what do with that yet, maybe wrap it carbon/black or leave/sell it.
unsure on the front grills at the moment, previous owner added them to protect a new AC condenser that was changed.

I prefer the original look but you would have a problem as mine got smashed to pieces slowly over time from being brittle and in the firing line of small stones. Good protection for the radiator if you don't care about it though.

Just re the rust on the rear arches, just before half way around from car front you should feel a lip inside (there's only one each side) . This piece and area is particularly prone to go first from the inside as dirt/debris/mud/salt etc hits it and sticks on the join. The other area is behind the plastic lowers for the same reason and it's not easily visible.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is the yearly tax rate for the newer models? Like £650ish a year?

I don't really understand the ins and outs of that, is there potential that they could hit it again or that the other models may get increased like that? Very ignorant on the topic, any help appreciated

Associate
They changed the emissions tax bands back in 2006, so the newer S2000's fall under Band L - £675, the earlier cars although output the same emissions are Band K - £395

These rates do slowly increase when the government decide to screw us all over a bit more...

Its annoying, but i only really plan to tax mine 6 months of the year anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom