Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Been thinking for a while to jump from iOS to Android since last year when the S23U released, and now I've been eyeing up the S24U. My wife and I have used iPhones for years and have an eco system around it. There are a few things that have always held me back from jumping to Android.

Biggest of which is being able to control my kids iPads screen time/parental controls. Would I be able to do that using an S24U? Or would they require a Galaxy tab/android tab of some description?
Second, my wife and I can see each others location, send a signal to either device to output a sound if we've misplaced it, track other apple devices. Am I able to do this with the S24U? I'm not expecting total iOS integration using an Android of course, but just curious if any of it is possible to do.
Finally I always use Apple pay and iCloud service. I've heard of google pay, but what would be the equivalent to iCloud / backups?

Apologies I know this isn't exactly relevant to the S24 Ultra specifically but it is the phone I would purchase if I jumped to Android.
I know I can probably google most of the things I'm after so again apologies for that, but just wondering if someone was in a similar situation to me and what they'd recommend for the above from personal experience. Thanks

Soldato
Soldato
Been thinking for a while to jump from iOS to Android since last year when the S23U released, and now I've been eyeing up the S24U. My wife and I have used iPhones for years and have an eco system around it. There are a few things that have always held me back from jumping to Android.

Biggest of which is being able to control my kids iPads screen time/parental controls. Would I be able to do that using an S24U? Or would they require a Galaxy tab/android tab of some description?
Second, my wife and I can see each others location, send a signal to either device to output a sound if we've misplaced it, track other apple devices. Am I able to do this with the S24U? I'm not expecting total iOS integration using an Android of course, but just curious if any of it is possible to do.
Finally I always use Apple pay and iCloud service. I've heard of google pay, but what would be the equivalent to iCloud / backups?

Apologies I know this isn't exactly relevant to the S24 Ultra specifically but it is the phone I would purchase if I jumped to Android.
I know I can probably google most of the things I'm after so again apologies for that, but just wondering if someone was in a similar situation to me and what they'd recommend for the above from personal experience. Thanks
Parental controls can be achieved using Google Family link, but I doubt iOS devices will be compatible with that

Locations etc are very easy to setup, google maps real time sharing for locations and Samsung Smarthings Find to find locations etc of each others devices. Definitely possible with equal or better features

Apple Pay / iCloud - Google Pay, and Google Drive or OneDrive. Google Drive / Photos is far superior to iCloud, which is dreadful.

Associate
Parental controls can be achieved using Google Family link, but I doubt iOS devices will be compatible with that

Locations etc are very easy to setup, google maps real time sharing for locations and Samsung Smarthings Find to find locations etc of each others devices. Definitely possible with equal or better features

Apple Pay / iCloud - Google Pay, and Google Drive or OneDrive. Google Drive / Photos is far superior to iCloud, which is dreadful.
I used family link with my kids pixel phones , works incredibly well but won't support IOS.

Their iPads are really old so we will probably swap them out with Android devices (Samsung galaxy tabs)

Associate
If there's a way to somehow have parental control over my kids iPads using a S24 I'd probably pull the trigger and get one. I'll see what google says.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
If there's a way to somehow have parental control over my kids iPads using a S24 I'd probably pull the trigger and get one. I'll see what google says.

Thanks
There must be a web page to control all this, rather than just the iOS app. However it would be very Apple to not have a Web page, forcing you into buying an iphone :p

Associate
There must be a web page to control all this, rather than just the iOS app. However it would be very Apple to not have a Web page, forcing you into buying an iphone :p

It's not until you want to leave their eco system, even just a little bit, how much you realise they've grabbed you by the balls!

Soldato
Does anybody else have does anybody have issues when paying via contactless at tesco? My phone does not register at all when trying to pay, but it works fine in all the other supermarkets

Does anybody else have does anybody have issues when paying via contactless at tesco? My phone does not register at all when trying to pay, but it works fine in all the other supermarkets
No issues here at Tescos, do you have a 3rd party case? If so, does it make a difference if you remove it?

Soldato
Soldato
Mine is really bad using the tube / TFL. I have resorted to using the physical card.

Soldato
I normally use Google wallet, and I've tried it with, and without the case. I've also tried it at two different tesco stores and it didn't work at either of them. I'll try the Samsung wallet next time.

Caporegime
Anyone had issues with battery drain?

No doubt it's an app causing issues - When I first got the phone I was so impressed by the battery usage. Now I've somehow used 60% battery in the 4 1/2 hours I have been awake.

My Battery Activity screen says Youtube has used 29% (I did watch a 2 hour video), Chrome 2.4% and then some negligible use of 0.3% and under for a few things.

But what has used the other 30%?

Man of Honour
Youtube might have used 29%, the rest could have been the internal hardware itself like the screen and processing. Without a battery stats app running in the BG to break down individual components battery usage like Gsam it's not going to be possible properly to know what.

I tried out the 240fps slow motion mode at 1080p, seems quite decent:

Soldato
Anyone played around with saving videos at slower speeds? Unless I'm missing something, I only seemed to be able to save at slower speeds than the "preview" you get by pressing the screen whilst watching one, which ends up being far too slow :confused:

Man of Honour
When you are in the editor tap the handle for the slow mo bit and select a speed, by default it uses something else.

-
There's a new Expert RAW update out which adds Lossless RAW mode, I tested it, I don't like it.

I imported some shots to desktop Lightroom then exported to 100% JPEG from dng keeping the resolutions at default, so 24MP for Expert RAW and 12MP for Pro mode RAW and normal Photo mode:
Notice that the Expert RAW image has more post process sharpening, even though Expert RAW is supposed to not factor in any other setting such as Camera Assistant? I also have Picture Softening set to High in Camera Assistant anyway. The DNG is seeing processing being applied like noise reduction and sharpening which is distracting.

The noise reduction is good though, but the overall balance of the Photo mode jpeg is just much better. I can process the Expert RAW DNG in Lightroom with my custom adjustments and get great results though as there's enough RAW data stored to optimise the image, but out of the box the Photo mode JPEG capture is usable with minimal editing, but if I did then just import into Lightroom, apply my preset and export back to 100% JPEG to share/save etc.

Soldato
Associate
Found this which may help with the shutter lag, also read that using the floating button also reduces the lag.

How you getting on with the S24U now?

You did try selling it not long ago, good to see you still have it.

Back
Top Bottom