Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Just had quidco/samsung confirm my cashback from my EPP store(ie student/perks at work discounted store) purchase. Wasn't sure if it would but gambled on it. Can't complain at getting around £110 back ontop of the already good price.

^^ so overnight they released new tariffs. The one mentioned above (ultra plan including an add-on; which is good value if you need it) was now £87.

However I couldn't find value in the add-on, so I've just agreed £69/mo with £30 upfront for 125gb. That's £5 more than my S22+ and 4 months before the contract ends.

He said the price won't raise 31st March but I am not so sure --- I am still in contract till August so I am eligible for the increase. Will see! If it doesn't, then that is quite the lifehack to get around a CPI increase lol.

Early upgrade fee was £211 but that was waved. It meant I couldn't use the trade-in offer though so I need to shift my S22+ which unfortunately has a gnarly scratch on the screen.

If you've signed up for a new contract then that means your new presumably 24m contract(EE's are usually 24m, but I have seen 36m recently) starts the day you swapped to it(ie today I guess?) which also has the added bonus that you wouldn't hit by CPI increases because your current contract started after the cut off.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've signed up for a new contract then that means your new presumably 24m contract(EE's are usually 24m, but I have seen 36m recently) starts the day you swapped to it(ie today I guess?) which also has the added bonus that you wouldn't hit by CPI increases because your current contract started after the cut off.
I have no idea -- it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I upgraded "early" so my due date wasn't until August. They waived the upgrade fee though. I guess if they process my early upgrade as a "buy out of old contract -> buy into new contract" then maybe I am clean as a whistle.

As a person responsible for revenue leakage though, I'd see this as a bit of a flaw though - as I am in contract till August. So I'd "expect" my contract to be 24 mo (the new one) plus the bit I am missing, i.e. in contract until August 2026, not March.

Feels like I've found a life hack if the former :cry: :cry:

----------------

In terms of accessories, I've gone with the usual OtterBox -- went for a clear one. I've had one on every Galaxy phone I've had since S3 so I assume they are still the most reasonable?

Last edited:
Associate
I have no idea -- it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I upgraded "early" so my due date wasn't until August. They waived the upgrade fee though. I guess if they process my early upgrade as a "buy out of old contract -> buy into new contract" then maybe I am clean as a whistle.

As a person responsible for revenue leakage though, I'd see this as a bit of a flaw though - as I am in contract till August. So I'd "expect" my contract to be 24 mo (the new one) plus the bit I am missing, i.e. in contract until August 2026, not March.

Feels like I've found a life hack if the former :cry: :cry:

----------------

In terms of accessories, I've gone with the usual OtterBox -- went for a clear one. I've had one on every Galaxy phone I've had since S3 so I assume they are still the most reasonable?
I've upgraded slightly early before, not as early as you, but would have been about a month early, and what I mentioned happened - didn't see any price increase till the following year. Some contracts include early upgrade as a free bonus (the contracts that give addons tend to give it, for example), othertimes they seem to just waive it if you're wanting to go into a new expensive contract and you haven't got too much on it left. I assume they just think it's worth it for the fact you'll be locked in again for another 24-36months.

Associate
I'm finding zoomed shots (x10-x30) to be much improved but still have issues with most scenes being over-exposed, especially indoors. I have to manually move the exposure slider to minimum for most shots to look accurate in the default camera app, or use -1.5 EV in Open Camera to get scene brightness to look true to life.

Don't know where I'm going wrong!

Soldato
I've upgraded slightly early before, not as early as you, but would have been about a month early, and what I mentioned happened - didn't see any price increase till the following year. Some contracts include early upgrade as a free bonus (the contracts that give addons tend to give it, for example), othertimes they seem to just waive it if you're wanting to go into a new expensive contract and you haven't got too much on it left. I assume they just think it's worth it for the fact you'll be locked in again for another 24-36months.
I am now in a new stage of misunderstanding what is happening :cry:

hZUi1gR.png

New tariff
Twice the data + a bit
Old phone listed
Contract starts today ends in 2 years from today.

Winner winner if an S24 Ultra actually shows up :cry:. This means I've avoided the increase, only added a fiver to my bill, and got a brand new phone.

Associate

hZUi1gR.png

New tariff
Twice the data + a bit
Old phone listed

Winner winner if an S24 Ultra actually shows up :cry:. This means I've avoided the increase, only added a fiver to my bill, and got a brand new phone.
If that's the app, it's just quirks of it. I bought the S24U directly from Samsung before my S22U contract was up, and it said my contract was for a S24U after swapping to it, even though it obviously wasn't. So it'll update from S22+ to S24U when you receive the phone. It also can take a day to reflect plan changes too.

On my EE app, my contract shows up especially weird. I've also got 125GB on my monthly plan, but it shows it as 125GB out of 725gb or something. Its really odd, the app just bizarre, lol.

Last edited:
Associate

hZUi1gR.png

New tariff
Twice the data + a bit
Old phone listed

they usually give you some more data from the upgrade to your next billing date.

W50

W50

Associate
My 14 week old baby :cry: Didn't matter what mode I used, the slightest movement made the picture look like she was travelling at 1000mph. It hasn't faltered since running the update
Congrats, even more time to play with the phone (at night ;) )
That's good to hear, I'll ask to take a photo of my teenager daughter and snap her as she runs away! :cry:

Man of Honour
From GSM Arena:

The update improves the Galaxy S24 lineup's low-light image quality and the camera's white balance accuracy and exposure. It also enhances the text clarity in high-zoom shots and the color accuracy in the ExpertRAW camera app.

Additionally, as promised in February, Samsung added support for 480p resolution videos in the Instant Slow-Mo feature with the April 2024 update.

Also being reported that the camera firmware has been updated.

Back
Top Bottom