Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Associate
OP
Hi all. Thanks to everybody who has shared their experiences and opinions!
I'm just about to purchase this (potentially). About £1200 with a free UHD monitor to keep the wife happy!

Main concern is that I have a 2080TI which only has HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4. Will that be too restrictive for this monitor (and I assume that it won't be powerful enough to drive it well)?

Thanks guys.
Yeah you'll be limited by your hdmi 2.0 situation I believe. You should probably look into upgrading the GPU 1st, before the monitor unless you don't mind using the ultrawide at a lower refresh rate (60hz) for the time being and possibly without HDR as well.

If you're dead set on an ultrawide probably better off getting a 3440x1440 ultrawide at 34 inches and using the rest towards a better GPU as well, for a nice balance, unless you can afford to upgrade both...

Associate
Yeah you'll be limited by your hdmi 2.0 situation I believe. You should probably look into upgrading the GPU 1st, before the monitor unless you don't mind using the ultrawide at a lower refresh rate (60hz) for the time being and possibly without HDR as well.

If you're dead set on an ultrawide probably better off getting a 3440x1440 ultrawide at 34 inches and using the rest towards a better GPU as well, for a nice balance, unless you can afford to upgrade both...
Thanks for your reply.

I read that DSC means I could get 240Hz at 4K (which is essentially the resolution of the monitor?) With DP 1.4.
Is that a thing?
I mean, I know that the 2080TI won't allow that, regardless, but.... Well.... I have a lot to learn. Haha.

I'm keen to get a mo itor first, then a gpu later down the line when the 50 series comes out, to get a cheaper 40 series (or 50 series if money allows at the time).

Also, the 3 years interest free credit on the monitor is basically the pull factor - and the free UHD monitor to keep the wife sweet! Hah.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply.

I read that DSC means I could get 240Hz at 4K (which is essentially the resolution of the monitor?) With DP 1.4.
Is that a thing?
I mean, I know that the 2080TI won't allow that, regardless, but.... Well.... I have a lot to learn. Haha.

I'm keen to get a mo itor first, then a gpu later down the line when the 50 series comes out, to get a cheaper 40 series (or 50 series if money allows at the time).

Also, the 3 years interest free credit on the monitor is basically the pull factor - and the free UHD monitor to keep the wife sweet! Hah.
forgot about DP
:cry: :cry: yeah should be ok possibly if its Displayport 1.4a? not really looked into the technicalities as I had latest hardware.

not enough sleep today.

Last edited:
Associate
forgot about DP
:cry: :cry: yeah should be ok possibly if its Displayport 1.4a? not really looked into the technicalities as I had latest hardware.

not enough sleep today.
I pulled the trigger. Love it. With my 2080TI... DLSS is my friend. Haha. It throttles at 84C quite easily after buying it second hand. Hopefully a repaste and new thermal pads will help.

Associate
OP
Can get the G93SC right now for £871 + Free monitor with 12% cashback with topcashback + refer a friend 10% code for anyone interested, now it becomes an amazing purchase at this price range, unless they're adding some better features in the 2024 model.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can get the G93SC right now for £871 + Free monitor with 12% cashback with topcashback + refer a friend 10% code for anyone interested, now it becomes an amazing purchase at this price range, unless they're adding some better features in the 2024 model.
Where are you seeing £871 with the free monitor? Tempted to try going for this and sell the g9 neo!

Caporegime
Thanks man, tempted to try one again since the only thing I really hated about the 95 was the pony menu and the smart tv functions! Cost me almost nothing to switch over too after selling the monitor, hmmmm...

42 is damn good though, would prob miss it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks man, tempted to try one again since the only thing I really hated about the 95 was the pony menu and the smart tv functions! Cost me almost nothing to switch over too after selling the monitor, hmmmm...

42 is damn good though, would prob miss it.
Truthfully after my experience, ultrawide absolutely kills it in certain games, and is meh for others.

Racing Games, Single Player Games + Sport Games all better on UW, just being able to see more action on screen in real time and better frame rates than 4K win/win

but then 4K the quality jump visually for certain games :eek: I wasn't expecting the difference to be quite as dramatic as it turned out to be.

Definitely a tough call to make.

Associate
Hi guys, I found this thread looking for a solution to the blackscreens caused by the update 1402.6.
I wanted to know if it's also happening to you and to warn you not to do the update because I'm not the only one with this issue.
This is what happened, pasting from another forum:
I have the G95SC, today I decided to update the firmware and the monitor started to present a black screen very often. Before this update I had black screen occasionally, now it has become an invalidating problem.

If I have Fortnite in Fullscreen mode and I switch to another application or just press the window button, the screen goes black and the only way to restore the image is unplug the DisplayPort cable from the GPU and then reconnect it.

Software version: 1402.6

And after more tests and unsuccessful chats with Samsung support:
I'm trying to use Windowed Fullscreen and it let's me switch to the desktop a bit more, but at random the screen goes black and stays that way forever.

Other than unpluging the cable, I found out that if you disable VRR, the screen recovers, but at that point you only get 120Hz, no VRR of course and I think the color settings are different because Game Mode is off.

You can then switch VRR on again and the monitor keeps going for a while before going black again at random. If you try, keep in mind that to turn VRR on you have to use the physical buttons, because you can no longer use the remote for some reason.

So it's definitely an issue with G-Synch / VRR, and so obvious that I don't know how Samsung could have released this garbage...

More tests:
I tested both a fresh NVIDIA driver reinstall and a disabled G-Synch monitor model profile, same result, blackscreens like there is no tomorrow.

The only other thing to try is to disable G-Synch entirely, but at this point I might as well not have bought this monitor.

Another user passed me the 1305.5 file, I will try to install that version, but I don't know which version I had before, can anyone tell me what was the version prior to the 1402.6? Maybe you have a copy laying around?

Sorry for the long post, thanks.

Associate
OP
If anyone is actually going to purchase the G93SC I'll offer you a couple of discount codes to use on samsung uk and if you've never bought with the samsung app you get another 5% off as well. So you can get it for less than £800

only someone who will actually buy it though. As I want someone to benefit from the discount.

Used another code already to buy 2nd S90C for the bedroom as I moved the current one into the living room now (came with soundbar) and the TV speakers are already loud enough, so got another code not being used.

Associate
OP
Hi guys, I found this thread looking for a solution to the blackscreens caused by the update 1402.6.
I wanted to know if it's also happening to you and to warn you not to do the update because I'm not the only one with this issue.
This is what happened, pasting from another forum:

And after more tests and unsuccessful chats with Samsung support:

More tests:

Another user passed me the 1305.5 file, I will try to install that version, but I don't know which version I had before, can anyone tell me what was the version prior to the 1402.6? Maybe you have a copy laying around?

Sorry for the long post, thanks.
Full reset keeps current firmware?

Associate
I absolutely HATE this monitor with a vengeance!! It worked fine for about 5-6 months. Then, whilst I was playing World of Warcraft Hardcore, the display went black!! I hit the Home button on the remote and disabled Game Mode from the settings. Screen came back on just in time for me to see a character I had spent more than 60 hours levelling up, die before my eyes!! I can only use this monitor with Game Mode switched off, which means it disables Adaptive Sync and sets your monitor to a max level of 120Hz. I have a DP cable certified to 16K, so not a cable issue. I have a 4090, so my card can handle it. I spent £2000 on this junk, that dropped to £1600 before mine was even delivered (I had it on pre-order...NEVER again!!!). I will NEVER buy another Samsung product again.

Associate
I have a serious issue with this monitor when gaming with Game Mode/Adaptive Sync on. The screen will suddenly go black. I have to switch off Adaptive Sync in order to see an image. I have tried different graphics cards and DP cables, but to no avail. I now have to game without the benefit of adaptive sync, one of the main reasons for buying this monitor, and keep my fingers crossed that I don't get screen tearing. I couldn't possibly recommend this monitor and wish I had never bought it.

Associate
OP
I have a serious issue with this monitor when gaming with Game Mode/Adaptive Sync on. The screen will suddenly go black. I have to switch off Adaptive Sync in order to see an image. I have tried different graphics cards and DP cables, but to no avail. I now have to game without the benefit of adaptive sync, one of the main reasons for buying this monitor, and keep my fingers crossed that I don't get screen tearing. I couldn't possibly recommend this monitor and wish I had never bought it.

You have an issue with the monitor, send it back to get a replacement.

But I feel you, being an early adopter can be painful at times, when you see the rapid depreciation.

Please make sure to contact live support if you're in the UK to get a replacement sent to you asap.

Back
Top Bottom