• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Associate
Hi there

Well our system is still prime stable with memory set at 1.65v, its been running now for over 24hrs under constant load and no signs of flaking or falling over. :)

Gibbo, what motherboard are you guys running your test on? Reason I ask is that I have an Asus P8P67 Pro with the Corsair XMS3 4GB (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) kit and a 2500k and have cold boot problems no matter what settings I try to se it at 1600.

If your using the same kit, did you guys experience any problems like that?

Cheers
John

Associate
Gibbo, what motherboard are you guys running your test on? Reason I ask is that I have an Asus P8P67 Pro with the Corsair XMS3 4GB (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) kit and a 2500k and have cold boot problems no matter what settings I try to se it at 1600.

Cheers
John

What bios version are you on John. I know I have different Ram, but i'm on 1003 and not seen any cold boot issue so far.

Associate
What bios version are you on John. I know I have different Ram, but i'm on 1003 and not seen any cold boot issue so far.

Hi,

I'm on 1003 as well. Tried the beta BIOS with exact same problem. Have you made any changes to voltages or any other settings in BIOS apart from the memory settings?

I've got everything on default except BCLK which is set to Manual at 100.

Associate
Hi,

I'm on 1003 as well. Tried the beta BIOS with exact same problem. Have you made any changes to voltages or any other settings in BIOS apart from the memory settings?

I've got everything on default except BCLK which is set to Manual at 100.

With this 2600K that arrived yesterday I have altered the following only
Manually set BCLK to 100
Set Allow OS to alter Multiplier
Set my Ram speed to 1600MHz
Manually set DRAM to 6,8,6,24,1
Manually set DRAM Voltage to 1.425v

And that's it - Apart from altering the Boot order and turning off the Boot Image and making the bios open in advanced mode... oh and I set the CPU Fan to Turbo and switched off speed control on the chassis fan (because I have the pump for my H50 in that header)

With these settings I have successfully run Prime 95 (Blend or FFT) for 1 hour at each of the following, by changing the Multiplier in Windows.

3.8GHz
3.9Ghz
4.0Ghz
4.1Ghz
4.2Ghz
4.3Ghz
4.4Ghz

I only ran into issues at 4.5Ghz. To achieve the 1 hour prime run here I had to increase the vcore (using the Windows software) to 1.175v (i.e. 2 steps up from stock).

So at the moment I am Prime 1 Hour stable at 4.5GHz 100x45 with 1.175v vcore, 1.425v vDIMM, BLCK 100 everything else on Auto.

I have always been distrustful of using Motherboard generated Ram timings and therefore always set these manually (well the first 5 anyway).

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have been looking at that ram to be honest and its very nice stuff, does it run ok at 1.5v? seems a bit of a steal to get 8GB of high frequency memory for that price.I only use my pc for gaming so i cant really decide if i wanted to get the ocuk bundle with the corsair 1600mhz, 8gb of 1600mhz 4gb of 2133mhz or 8gb of 1866mhz.

8GB is going to be the norm for ivy bridge so i dont know if i will need over 4gb within 3 years or not.i dont think i need 2133mhz either but i would like to squeeze as much fps as possible out of a 2500k setup.

Soldato

Cheers
John

We are using the Asus P8P67 PRO with the 0402 BIOS.

What CPU speed are you running and vcore?

Associate
Manually set BCLK to 100

And that's it - Apart from altering the Boot order and turning off the Boot Image and making the bios open in advanced mode... oh and I set the CPU Fan to Turbo and switched off speed control on the chassis fan (because I have the pump for my H50 in that header)

With these settings I have successfully run Prime 95 (Blend or FFT) for 1 hour at each of the following, by changing the Multiplier in Windows.

3.8GHz
3.9Ghz
4.0Ghz
4.1Ghz
4.2Ghz
4.3Ghz
4.4Ghz

I only ran into issues at 4.5Ghz. To achieve the 1 hour prime run here I had to increase the vcore (using the Windows software) to 1.175v (i.e. 2 steps up from stock).

So at the moment I am Prime 1 Hour stable at 4.5GHz 100x45 with 1.175v vcore, 1.425v vDIMM, BLCK 100 everything else on Auto.

I have always been distrustful of using Motherboard generated Ram timings and therefore always set these manually (well the first 5 anyway).

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at my settings. My system is stable once I'm in Windows, it's just this cold boot problem that is driving me daft.

Associate
We are using the Asus P8P67 PRO with the 0402 BIOS.

What CPU speed are you running and vcore?

Hi,

I'm on 1003 BIOS. CPU is running at stock speed with 1.165v. I'm not trying to overclock it, just trying to get memory to run at rated speeds without the cold boot problem. The motherboard does seem to think I'm trying to overclock it though as the screen I finally reach is the failed overclock press F1 to enter setup screen.

Wish I had stuck with Gigabyte now

Soldato
I get the same with G.Skill Ripjaws on the ASUS unless I lower the RAM frequency to 1333Mhz. Red memory error LED lights on cold boot. It's frustrating but on the plus side it is running at tighter timings and lower voltages than spec. with no difference in real world gaming performance and a slight increase at times.

Soldato
Manually set BCLK to 100

3.8GHz
3.9Ghz
4.0Ghz
4.1Ghz
4.2Ghz
4.3Ghz
4.4Ghz

Simon you doing great there mate only advice I would give you is not to use any windows software to change Vcore, any voltage settings or motherboard related frequencies.. Always use the BIOS for that, it will be safer.

Very impressed with the methodological approach you are taking now :D.. That's always the best way to overclock ;) and to make sure you have a stable system, last thing you want is an unstable system that will trash the data on your hardrives.

Just a little note regarding memory on Sandy Bridge setups..

* Due to CPU behavior, DDR3 2200/2000/1800 MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2133/1866/1600 MHz frequency as default.

Last edited:
Associate
I get the same with G.Skill Ripjaws on the ASUS unless I lower the RAM frequency to 1333Mhz. Red memory error LED lights on cold boot. It's frustrating but on the plus side it is running at tighter timings and lower voltages than spec. with no difference in real world gaming performance and a slight increase at times.

Arrgh, don't say that, thats the same ram I have and I've yet to build my system up. Hope its not the same with mine.:eek:
(At least I'll know why though, cheers, you might of saved me a lot of faffing.

Associate
Simon you doing great there mate only advice I would give you is not to use any windows software to change Vcore, any voltage settings or motherboard related frequencies.. Always use the BIOS for that, it will be safer.

Update to the results...
4.5GHz required vcore at 1.175v (+0.010 from stock)
4.6GHz required vcore at 1.210v (+0.045 from stock)
Both 1Hr Prime stable - no other changes

In the middle of
4.7Ghz @ vcore 1.250v (+0.085 from stock) about 1/2 hour through Prime

Associate
Update to the results...
4.5GHz required vcore at 1.175v (+0.010 from stock)
4.6GHz required vcore at 1.210v (+0.045 from stock)
Both 1Hr Prime stable - no other changes

In the middle of
4.7Ghz @ vcore 1.250v (+0.085 from stock) about 1/2 hour through Prime

How do you get your VCore so low? I am at 1.3V for 4.5Ghz although I have left the voltage on AUTO in the bios. Are you setting it manually?

Associate
How do you get your VCore so low? I am at 1.3V for 4.5Ghz although I have left the voltage on AUTO in the bios. Are you setting it manually?

I'm taking my time and letting the CPU settle at each change in vcore and frequency. I may just have a good chip of course.

I have to say I'm surprised how well it seems to be doing. I think Gibbo did say that he had found that after a few days he needed a bit more vcore than before to maintain the same clock speed... I'm hopeful that letting the CPU settle and get burnt in will help maintain its stability over the longer term.

This steady approach is how we used to overclock when it was not so easy.

Don't forget I have a 2600K not a 2500K like you, so I have a 1x Multi head start you could say.

Back
Top Bottom