• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

jbs

jbs

Associate
Not sure what to make of all this with my kit arriving soon, but I am actually not too worried. To me it sounds like most people with problems tried to get to high to quickly. I think in this thread I saw a "I ran at 4.8 with no problems". That, when most of the "pro's" seem to think you cannot really get that high with safe voltages.

Associate
btw why are people saying to disable turbo boost?
i got an overclocked E5400 to 3.7Ghz and it downclocks and upclocks by itself, so i was thinking what's the advantage in turbo boost?

Associate
Hi, quick question for dave beast.

Hope you don't mind me strolling in like this but I've been reading this thread and i'm first time builder so i just wanted to pick your brains about the MSI P67A GD55. i see you're using it and it seems to be more stable than the Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67. I have little experience of overclocking so i'll likely run on stock speeds 'till i build up on dutch courage but would you recommend this card to me? does it have any benefits over the Asus Pro? The worst part about being a noob are moments like these, haha.

Soldato
Hi, quick question for dave beast.

Hope you don't mind me strolling in like this but I've been reading this thread and i'm first time builder so i just wanted to pick your brains about the MSI P67A GD55. i see you're using it and it seems to be more stable than the Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67. I have little experience of overclocking so i'll likely run on stock speeds 'till i build up on dutch courage but would you recommend this card to me? does it have any benefits over the Asus Pro? The worst part about being a noob are moments like these, haha.

Hi :)

I was originally going to go with the Asus board, either Pro or Evo, but thought i'd give MSI a chance, for the hell of it really. I can't say which is better, but it seems that Asus owners are having some initial teething problems with BIOS settings/updates and memory speed issues.

If I was to suggest a motherboard to you right now this second, it would be this MSI http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18167908#post18167908

Associate

I was originally going to go with the Asus board, either Pro or Evo, but thought i'd give MSI a chance, for the hell of it really. I can't say which is better, but it seems that Asus owners are having some initial teething problems with BIOS settings/updates and memory speed issues.

If I was to suggest a motherboard to you right now this second, it would be this MSI http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18167908#post18167908

Thanks for the reply. Gotta love that rebate! I think I'll go with this then. The less early problems, the better. Thanks again :)

Associate

i just bought from overclockers the asus deluxe mobo thermaltake frio cooler and geil 2x4gb memory running a 2600k. no problems at all here.
cant believe how cool these run.

Soldato
i just bought from overclockers the asus deluxe mobo thermaltake frio cooler and geil 2x4gb memory running a 2600k. no problems at all here.

Awesome, I swear this memory is key to a stable system
icon3.gif

Associate

interesting. i'm about to get the 2x4GB GeIL DDR3 @ 1600MHZ Value. so damn cheap for what it does. is that the kind you guys have? (with 2x2GB, instead of 2x4GB, obviously).

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Memory wise so far the best kits we have found are:-

GeIL 1600MHz Value kits, will happily run at rated timings from as little as 1.40v.
Corsair 1600MHz XMS3 is immense, we must have a good batch as they will run at rated timings from as little as 1.35v

Finally the Corsair Vengeance is proper Sandybridge certified and also runs great from 1.35v at rated speeds/timings. Corsair also un-officially confirmed the XMS3 come from the same production run on, which no doubt explains how good they are. ;)

Tomorrow afternoon I shall put a new range of Sandybridge certified memory up on the site too which is all 1.50v and some very fast stuff including CAS6. :D

Associate
You should add my OCZ Reaper 1600 6,8,6,24 to that list.
I'm stable with it at 1.425v at the above settings 1T as well
It is more expensive, but has the best timings out there.

I'm taking my overclcok steady with this new 2600K - running prime for an hour at each step to bed it in. So far i'm 45 mins into Prime at 4.4GHz all stock voltages (except the Ram) :)

OcUK Staff
You should add my OCZ Reaper 1600 6,8,6,24 to that list.
I'm stable with it at 1.425v at the above settings 1T as well
It is more expensive, but has the best timings out there.

I'm taking my overclcok steady with this new 2600K - running prime for an hour at each step to bed it in. So far i'm 45 mins into Prime at 4.4GHz all stock voltages (except the Ram) :)

HI m8

Now thats bloody great memory, shame its now EOL and shame its expensive, but it will only keep going up as it runs low. :(
Infact OCZ memory is vacating the house for a short while as OCZ is refreshing the range and they have no 1.50v performance parts, so they will probably go vacant for a month or so now, but their SSD's still rock and Vertex 3 is coming. :)

From reading around and our own testing, the biggest culprit to unstability with these setups us when you run memory past 1600MHz, they just dislike high frequency or at least the early bios do.

If tomorrow ours is still runnning prime and memory is at 1.65v to see if it dies we shall come to the conclusion 1.65v is fine, just not recommended and then move to give it plenty of volts and heat to deal with to see if it kills it.

Back
Top Bottom